• 44. Seth Campbell

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • 45. Tylar Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50. Marlion Pickett

Votes: 35 28.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was awesome in the ruck in the 3rd Q…

def worth persisting him forward/ruck role with Lynch back in the side for a least a few games..

If it works it will pay off huge

Then play him as a Back/Ruck like we used to do with Benny Gale.

I don't understand why people still think it might work - it never has & he was doing it previously with better teammates around him like Jack & guys like Cotchin & edwards kicking it to him. Its only going to be harder now.

Him playing well as a ruck in the 3rd just shows how crap he was as a forward. Look at the output. All it showed me was, that Balta is better playing where the ball is, or where its heading. That, unfortunately, is more often than not, going to be everywhere but our forward 50. Our midfield skills are terrible as well, so the delivery is going to suck balls

Put him where the ball is. With our midfield, its going to be either in the middle or in the defensive half.

I don't understand why people still think it might work - it never has & he was doing it previously with better teammates around him like Jack & guys like Cotchin & edwards kicking it to him. Its only going to be harder now.

Him playing well as a ruck in the 3rd just shows how crap he was as a forward. Look at the output. All it showed me was, that Balta is better playing where the ball is, or where its heading. That, unfortunately, is more often than not, going to be everywhere but our forward 50. Our midfield skills are terrible as well, so the delivery is going to suck balls

Put him where the ball is. With our midfield, its going to be either in the middle or in the defensive half.
Yeah I tend to agree..

but we aren’t winning or contending for the flag this year so what’s the harm in trialing him forward/ruck with Lynch in the side and exposing more games into Gibcus and Young to the key oppo forwards 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see a real negative to it apart from instant gratification

Last edited:

It's too disruptive to defensive structure to keep pulling a key post out of the backline. That's why it's key forwards that play 2nd ruck 99% of the time.

Yeah I tend to agree..

but we aren’t winning or contending for the flag this year so what’s the harm in trialing him forward/ruck with Lynch in the side and exposing more games into Gibcus and Young to the key oppo forwards 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see the real negative to it apart from instant gratification

I would play Gibcus as the fwd for now and keep the backline leader where he is. Gibcus looked like a deer in headlights and is going to have a tough yea, but he needs it. He needs to get match fitness & he will have plenty of options to lead up the ground playing down forward & avoid a lot of body contact, which i think he is likely not ready for.

Being a backman at Richmond in 2024 will be the hardest job in the AFL. You will be a punching bag. Put the experience down back to handle the heavy lifting and give the kids a chance up forward with Dusty, Lynch, Bolton & Taranto/Hopper rotating through it.

It's too disruptive to defensive structure to keep pulling a key post out of the backline. That's why it's key forwards that play 2nd ruck 99% of the time.

then keep him back.

The answers keep answering themselves. People keep acting like 1+1=3 just because it endorses the result they want.

If the Balta thing works and he ends up kicking 40-50 goals then i will put my hand up to admit i was wrong. Just don't see it happening.

I would play Gibcus as the fwd for now and keep the backline leader where he is. Gibcus looked like a deer in headlights and is going to have a tough yea, but he needs it. He needs to get match fitness & he will have plenty of options to lead up the ground playing down forward & avoid a lot of body contact, which i think he is likely not ready for.

Being a backman at Richmond in 2024 will be the hardest job in the AFL. You will be a punching bag. Put the experience down back to handle the heavy lifting and give the kids a chance up forward with Dusty, Lynch, Bolton & Taranto/Hopper rotating through it.
Yeah I don’t mind that.. maybe they will do that if the Balta forward doesn’t work and the backline isn’t coping

Not sure how the communication is at the moment :mad: but with Dusty and Nank supposedly coming back and Lynch likely as well.....Prestia, Dow, Grimes, Kosi, Ryan, Banks and NS would/should have been told to play out of their skins as a likelihood of some them getting rested would be very likely. hard to fathom how some of those and others were trotting around in self preservation mode, like it was a teddy bears picnic.

The best thing for people to do is wait until Yze has had the chance to put his best side out there for a few weeks and see how it performs before panicking and suggesting wholesale changes.

While we'll likely see the return of 3 genuine best 10 players to the side and we should see an improved performance against the Blues, lets remember Lynch hasn't played for nearly 12 months and is coming in cold, Nankervis didn't play any of the match practice games either so may well be a touch rusty and Martin barely got out of neutral when we played the Pies, so to expect them to come in and dominate is a sure way to see frustrations boil over yet again when it doesn't go accordingly.

I've heard whispers Tom Lynch won't play round 1 versus Carlton they want to be extra conservative given the seriousness of the injury.

Martin will back for sure though in less something happens between now & than.
source

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home today and watching the replay now. The one thing I really noticed was how stationary our players were. Just walking around and spectating. Constantly just walking. I honestly can not say I have ever seen anything as bad as that before, even in the dark past. I am watching the replay now and it's very obvious. 2 players in particular, Dow and Ryan. Just horrible... As young players they should have lots of enthusiasm and energy. Based on this they have to be dropped. Possibly never seen again if that is how they go about it. No excuses for being lazy...

What i noticed too. Pedestrian footy. The Centre clearances we just ball watched while Rowell went for it & as hard as that made it for the defence, they didn't appear to react any quicker

Shai Bolton needs to play more midfield time, he is too damaging around stoppage we need that class.
he always going to be good forward but I liked his role in 2023. pretty much 50/50

Fair. Out of interest, how do you honestly rate the results of Balta fwd Vs effect on backline from the weekend, out of 100?
Balta going into ruck in second half started our comeback
Once we have a 3 pronged fwd attack of balta kozi and lynch, in forward half we will be a much better team,,,
Nank rucks then sits in back line
If nank is struggling we throw noah into ruck, ,,if nank is doing fine we have 4 seriously marking targets over 196cm ,,
When have we ever had this before???
Give it time its only one game, and nank and lynch have not played a game yet

fb- Broad, Young, Vlastuin
hb- Short, Gibcus, Rioli
c- Pickett, Hopper, Ross
hf- Prestia, Balta, Bolton
ff- MRJ, Lynch, Campbell
r- Nank, Taranto, Dusty
i/c- McAuliffe, Baker, Kosi, Grimes
sub- McIntosh

in: Lynch, Dusty, McAuliffe, Nank
out: Crayfish, Ryan, Banks, Dow

Looks a shitload more balanced side than last week. Ross has to play all game, he's our best/most consistent kick in the midfield. McIntosh or Pickett should be sub, we need to start phasing them out for blokes that can kick.

fb- Broad, Young, Vlastuin
hb- Short, Gibcus, Rioli
c- Pickett, Hopper, Ross
hf- Prestia, Balta, Bolton
ff- MRJ, Lynch, Campbell
r- Nank, Taranto, Dusty
i/c- McAuliffe, Baker, Kosi, Grimes
sub- McIntosh

in: Lynch, Dusty, McAuliffe, Nank
out: Crayfish, Ryan, Banks, Dow

Looks a shitload more balanced side than last week. Ross has to play all game, he's our best/most consistent kick in the midfield. McIntosh or Pickett should be sub, we need to start phasing them out for blokes that can kick.
cosmo-kramer-head-nod.gif

Back