Hot Topic The President, CEO & the Board - CARLTON SUPPORTERS ONLY!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shutting up shop does not freeze out the media, particularly when there are enough rent-a-quote supporters of the club who are prepared to offer their views to the media. Whether it be Mathieson, Tom Elliott, David Rhys-Jones, Mark Maclure, or all of the above, the media will continue to find the oxygen to maintain the life of such a story until they are ready to direct their scuttlebuck towards another club in so-called crisis.

You are correct, Malthouse, McKay & Sticks had to front the media to at least give the club's side of the story & some facts, rather than let the media totally control the message that is getting out to supporters.

That's what I meant. It freezes the media out of the club so we don't get to hear what the club have to say but it won't stop the cockroaches from getting a story by whatever means possible. So we get to hear all of these spiteful opinions while the club says nothing to add context or refute them.

Weren't we all ready last weekend to see some retribution? What happened? Why should this round be any different? What has changed?

Last week we ran into the juggernaut that is the Melbourne Football Club.

I was looking for honesty last night and all I got was deflection, denial and a massive cop-out.

I understand that he had to protect the club and the players but surely being honest about where we are at is going to keep supporters more interested right now.

Yes, that is part of his job but there is so much discontent around at present, you really need the coach to give some level of hope and confidence for the future.

ive been a fan of your posting lately,

however on this occasion i disagree.....

i think he did a great job in a tough circumstance

ive been a fan of your posting lately,

however on this occasion i disagree.....

i think he did a great job in a tough circumstance

There was no doubting he was under the pump from the inquisitors and whilst he did well to defend himself, IMO, he didn't give the fans anything to instil confidence and expectation. I felt more confused after he spoke than beforehand.

If we win this weekend all will be forgotten for a week or so though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shutting up shop does not freeze out the media, particularly when there are enough rent-a-quote supporters of the club who are prepared to offer their views to the media. Whether it be Mathieson, Tom Elliott, David Rhys-Jones, Mark Maclure, or all of the above, the media will continue to find the oxygen to maintain the life of such a story until they are ready to direct their scuttlebuck towards another club in so-called crisis.

You are correct, Malthouse, McKay & Sticks had to front the media to at least give the club's side of the story & some facts, rather than let the media totally control the message that is getting out to supporters.

You are right about the fringe-dwellers but the good thing about them is that the club can dismiss their comments as not being accurate or inflammatory or whatever they want to say if they do not engage in the palava.

Besides, Maclure doesn't pot the club like others (he's a lot smarter than that plus he could be told to switch off if needed), Elliott Jnr seems a little more measured & Rhys would bite his tongue if asked to, it's only Mathieson who is the loose cannon and the more he sprouts, the more he comes across as a quick impersonation of a senile Elliott Snr.

If we have club officials saying those things then it is hard to refute and makes it look worse when they seem to be contradicting each other.

We were on a hiding to nothing over the past fortnight, the media were always going to be all over us with a blowtorch and a microscope. Purely from a PR perspective, I believe the club should of limited the media exposure (that way they can control what is said) and also have one person doing the speaking. It gives a strong impression of leadership and a level of calm even if it is pandemonium behind the scenes.

Appreciate that Wookie, from someone who rarely turns on a TV these days.

Just want to say I agree wholeheartedly with Sticks ... there will come a time at the end of the year where it's going to be appropriate to turn through the list and make calls on players etc, but until then, we need to stick fat as a footy club, that goes for players, coaches, board members and supporters.

Blues crying out for off-field leadership
That Mark LoGiudice will win the Carlton presidency at Monday night's board meeting appears a bigger certainty than McLachlan, but for the Blues the battle will only then have started. By our reckoning, the 12-member board is divided into three factions.

On the upside, LoGiudice is a largely self-made man on a board top heavy with inherited wealth and a handful of billionaires and substantial multimillionaires. Smart, diligent and well-connected, he has the support of influential families such as the Pratts, the Mathiesons and the Silvagnis.
Blues crying out for off-field leadership

Master of spin with LoGuidice the owner of the Lygon Court shopping centre that was built by his father.

I guess it suits Wilson's premise that the board is full of fatcats who haven't built a business from the ground up.

A_McKay Fair point, but I wonder how anyone would get on the Carlton board without substantial family money. Seems like a pre-requisite.

Another interesting point was how little personal contribution these millionaires actually put towards the club. Isn't that the whole point of putting millionaires in positions of power at our club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back