Hot Topic The President, CEO & the Board - CARLTON SUPPORTERS ONLY!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would prefer the way it all has been played out in the media thus far then ??

McKay, Sticks, Swann, Mathieson, Malthouse, Walker & Murphy.

That's a vague question. Would I prefer that McKay, Sticks, Swann, Malthouse and team leaders addressed the media? Yes, that's the right thing to do. Would I expect them to dump on each other so the fans can have their opinion of what is wrong validated? No. It serves no purpose except a selfish one. I want them to be solid because that is constructive, but I want them to acknowledge there are problems, and they have.

I suspect there are divisions in the team and some players attitudes are becoming infectious, but I don't know that. If anybody at the club denies it, how can I challenge that? I can still think it, but I can't challenge it.

The truth is we are all searching for answers and only settling on what makes sense to us individually. You can't argue based on your own truth.

As for Mathieson, not sure why you lumped him in with people who actually should know what they are talking about. My opinion about Mathieson starts about here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...GpTGy2hE&list=UUsE7kNg2-0eZXvVeuaz0VZA#t=1077

That's a vague question. Would I prefer that McKay, Sticks, Swann, Malthouse and team leaders addressed the media? Yes, that's the right thing to do. Would I expect them to dump on each other so the fans can have their opinion of what is wrong validated? No. It serves no purpose except a selfish one. I want them to be solid because that is constructive, but I want them to acknowledge there are problems, and they have.

I suspect there are divisions in the team and some players attitudes are becoming infectious, but I don't know that. If anybody at the club denies it, how can I challenge that? I can still think it, but I can't challenge it.

The truth is we are all searching for answers and only settling on what makes sense to us individually. You can't argue based on your own truth.

As for Mathieson, not sure why you lumped him in with people who actually should know what they are talking about. My opinion about Mathieson starts about here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...GpTGy2hE&list=UUsE7kNg2-0eZXvVeuaz0VZA#t=1077

What I really would of preferred is that they had of circled the wagons and completely shut-up to the media this week. They said it all last week and didn't deliver so they have nothing more they can add to that, smartest thing was to have a media lockout and let them go and pester Richmond.

I am like you in that I strongly believe there are divisions in the team, you are correct that it cannot be challenged because none of us are part of the inner sanctum. However, we've all been around long enough to have either seen it all before or experienced something like that at our own level of sport.

The point about Mathieson is that whilst we cannot gag him, if the others weren't getting interviewed (think about it, we had both Sticks & Malthouse on two prime TV talk shows last night trying to answer his comments), then he would look like a lot of superfluous hot air.

The club should have the ONE spokesperson right now so that the messages are consistent and they address the issues that the club want to speak about. Make some strong comments that give the fans some calmness in the crisis and a reason to "stick fat" as well as giving them some expectation for the future.

What we have now is something akin to a media circus.

What I really would of preferred is that they had of circled the wagons and completely shut-up to the media this week. They said it all last week and didn't deliver so they have nothing more they can add to that, smartest thing was to have a media lockout and let them go and pester Richmond.

I am like you in that I strongly believe there are divisions in the team, you are correct that it cannot be challenged because none of us are part of the inner sanctum. However, we've all been around long enough to have either seen it all before or experienced something like that at our own level of sport.

The point about Mathieson is that whilst we cannot gag him, if the others weren't getting interviewed (think about it, we had both Sticks & Malthouse on two prime TV talk shows last night trying to answer his comments), then he would look like a lot of superfluous hot air.

The club should have the ONE spokesperson right now so that the messages are consistent and they address the issues that the club want to speak about. Make some strong comments that give the fans some calmness in the crisis and a reason to "stick fat" as well as giving them some expectation for the future.

What we have now is something akin to a media circus.

Shutting up shop is not the automatic answer. It freezes out the media but it does nothing for the supporters who are looking for reassurance beyond the 'we'll give a better account of ourselves next week' spiel.

Read between the lines with Sticks last night. He basically came out and said Mathieson was full of shit and an opportunist, in a very diplomatic fashion. Saying nothing when the media agree with Mathieson, doesn't expose him at all.

Well with all the poaching we've done from Collingwood you'd reckon McGuire would be our next pres :eek:

He is actually his nephew.

Must have missed who you were referring to.
I was talking about Mark LoGuiduce, who someone else in another thread put firmly into the Mathieson camp. And I think that the same post put Traynor in the Pratt camp.

And yeah... Don's son... I kept reading the son bit... :p

BlPV4PWCUAAIMB_.jpg

Tom Elliot interview on 3AW sport at 6pm EST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Tom is his son, but I think the apple may have fallen a little further away from the tree with this one. I cant base this on any inside knowledge but id be willing to give Tom the benefit of any doubt emanating from his parentage. He may just be the fresh, modern leadership we need.

I know Tom is his son, but I think the apple may have fallen a little further away from the tree with this one. I cant base this on any inside knowledge but id be willing to give Tom the benefit of any doubt emanating from his parentage. He may just be the fresh, modern leadership we need.

Doesn't seem to have too much interest in taking over from what I could tell from his interview on 3AW.

Perception, is the thing...

Its just a bad direction for the club after where elliott took us, it reeks of we just haven't moved on...

Can we just get someone fresh and no links to the dark time

Last edited:
The only insight I have into Tom is when he is sitting next to his father on the Agony programs on ABC. Although impossible to tell in any real way, it does seem to me that he and his father are rather different people. Tom basically rolls his eyes at every comment that comes out of John's mouth... which considering the shit that comes out of John's mouth, is just as well.

You certainly can't base anything thing real on this level of insight, but if you could, I think I'd support Tom for president. :cool:

Regardless of who replaces Sticks it is critical the Carlton Board be reduced in number and new blood be introduced to take the club forward in a "progressive" not "old style-conservative" "way. Greg Swann has turned the club around financially (qualifier: Bruce Mathieson's guaranteed pokie revenue) but for powerhouse club our membership number continues to lag well behind the big Melbourne clubs (Pies; Hawks, Tigers and Bombers). This needs to be a priority for the new Board. Andrew Walker's comments about the playing group being introverted is a refreshingly honest statement. Probably time to let Gibbsy go, get two high draft picks and bring in some "extroverts". Carlton needs a balance between introverts and extroverts and SOME REAL LEADERSHIP ON FIELD!!

CAN WE TAKE CHARGE AS FANS:?

two key things to take from the carlton constitution: gives us two options as fans to take a stand and bring this club back to the top where it belongs.

1) call a general emergency meeting

How can we do this?

Our constitution says:

Calling of general meeting when requested by members
5.2. (a) Directors must call meetings
The Directors of the Club must call and arrange to hold a general meeting on the request of:
(i) Ordinary members with at least 5% of the votes that may be cast at the general meeting;
or
(ii) at least 100 Ordinary members who are entitled to vote at the general meeting;
(b) Request
The request must:
(i) be in writing; and
(ii) state any resolution to be proposed at the meeting; and
(iii) be signed by the Ordinary members making the request; and
(iv) contain the addresses and membership ticket numbers of the Ordinary members making
the request;

Option 2:

Bit more radical but lets get some ordinary fans (non business people etc) on the board

how?

The election of Directors shall take place in the following manner:
(a) Any three Ordinary members of the Club shall be at liberty to nominate any other Ordinary
member and which member has been an Ordinary member entitled to vote for at least two full
years prior to the date of the relevant election of Directors, to serve as a Director. The requirement
that the nominated Ordinary member must have been an Ordinary member for at least two full
calendar years may be waived by Ordinary Resolution of the Board.
(b) The nomination, which must be in writing and signed by the Ordinary member seeking election
as a Director and the three nominating Ordinary members, must be lodged with the Secretary by
5pm on a day at least 35 days before the date set for the election. The Secretary will give
notification of the relevant nomination date by giving not less than 5 clear days notice of the
date in a Victorian metropolitan daily newspaper and a national daily newspaper.

Shutting up shop is not the automatic answer. It freezes out the media but it does nothing for the supporters who are looking for reassurance beyond the 'we'll give a better account of ourselves next week' spiel.
Shutting up shop does not freeze out the media, particularly when there are enough rent-a-quote supporters of the club who are prepared to offer their views to the media. Whether it be Mathieson, Tom Elliott, David Rhys-Jones, Mark Maclure, or all of the above, the media will continue to find the oxygen to maintain the life of such a story until they are ready to direct their scuttlebuck towards another club in so-called crisis.

You are correct, Malthouse, McKay & Sticks had to front the media to at least give the club's side of the story & some facts, rather than let the media totally control the message that is getting out to supporters.

Just get someone in who isn't bias about the club and knows where we are truly at imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back