Past #1: Daniel Currie - officially traded to Gold Coast in exchange for a third round selection (#53)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great seeing the No. 1 running around out there. Fond memories of John Barnett and Damien Houlihan toting it around. Never in the ones in the big dance for young Damien unfortunately.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Takes him about 7 rounds of football just to get up when he hits the deck.

I think he'll play this week if Daw isn't there yet, hopefully he can hold a few marks because he seems pretty limited everywhere else. His ruckwork is average at best.

Just wrong.

Pies have an excellent midfield, why not play another mid or small forward to try and keep up rather than select a very slow and cumbersome VFL ruckman as a 3rd forward?

This is not meant to bag Currie, it is not his fault but I just don't get why he was picked based on either match ups or form. Playing guys to fit a preferred structure will get us nowhere, and has hurt us too often.

As I said when he was first picked for his debut. There is a reason he hasn't played a single game after 7 years on a list and it's not injury. He is ****ing shit.

He hadnt been given that big of a chance before being dropped for the Sydney game due to conditions. I can understand the 'want' to give him more of a go, but with he and Drew up forward we're just to clumsy and slow once it hits the deck. Its never an experiment that was going to work out, neither of our ruck options are much chop as forwards.

Last edited:
Wood or Nahas. We have Goldy who has the capacity to run out most games. This luxury allows us to get away with playing a second ruck, but now we do it anyway. Petrie in the ruck for 5 minutes is good enough and at least he's able to get his hands on it. Hopefully this puts to bed the 2 ruck decision. If it didn't work with Hamish it most certainly will not with Currie!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor poor selection. Burnt by his teammates but the way the Pies waltzed out of our 50 was embarassing. Shane Watson has shown himself to be a poor defensive coach and now a poor forwards coach. Hes the one I would put the heat onto. When he is speaking to Brad on Thursday night what on earth would they be discussing? Yeh big wide spaces on the G. Collingwood like to rebound. Possibility of rain. Yeh lets play Currie and drop Robbie. ****WITS.

Made no sense. Maybe if Drew was in fair nick you could have him as just another target. But two big blokes with hardly any impact lumbering around the forward line watching the ball get easily run out again and again after they lost another contest makes no sense

Brad Scott was in the gun last year for playing one ruck and relying on a tiring Goldstein late in games. He now plays two ruckmen and is now in the gun for doing so. Who would want to be a coach?!

The problem is that Currie isn't the second ruck option, especially when he has to play 75% of the game in the forward line. He should either be number 1 ruck, or not played at all, and with Goldstein clearly our number 1 ruck his chances aren't looking good.

The time has come to give Daw an extended run at it. Play him mainly as a forward, giving Goldstein a rest for 7-8 minutes per quarter. Daw has shown he can win games for us as a forward, Currie can't and Petrie is getting further and further away from doing it.

Brad Scott was in the gun last year for playing one ruck and relying on a tiring Goldstein late in games. He now plays two ruckmen and is now in the gun for doing so. Who would want to be a coach?!

The problem is that Currie isn't the second ruck option, especially when he has to play 75% of the game in the forward line. He should either be number 1 ruck, or not played at all, and with Goldstein clearly our number 1 ruck his chances aren't looking good.

The time has come to give Daw an extended run at it. Play him mainly as a forward, giving Goldstein a rest for 7-8 minutes per quarter. Daw has shown he can win games for us as a forward, Currie can't and Petrie is getting further and further away from doing it.

Clearly Currie was an attempt to fill a structural gap in the team with Tarrant and Daw not available. Didn't work, but at least Daw seems ready to go.

Poor poor selection. Burnt by his teammates but the way the Pies waltzed out of our 50 was embarassing. Shane Watson has shown himself to be a poor defensive coach and now a poor forwards coach. Hes the one I would put the heat onto. When he is speaking to Brad on Thursday night what on earth would they be discussing? Yeh big wide spaces on the G. Collingwood like to rebound. Possibility of rain. Yeh lets play Currie and drop Robbie. *******S.

You make a good point there tazaa

I don't know anything about Watson, so maybe the heat is on him rather than Scott regarding the selection and our utter ineptness up forward basically for all of 2014.

I'd also like to be on that team meeting to pick Currie. Makes no sense at all, nor did it before the game.

I understand the selection. As I said pre game, picking Currie to play today was as much about next week as it was about this week.

Unfortunately for the coach, he was horrible today. Hopefully Daw's VFL performance is enough for him to take Currie's spot or they go small and pick Nahas again

Sent from my Nokia 3210

Clearly Currie was an attempt to fill a structural gap in the team with Tarrant and Daw not available. Didn't work, but at least Daw seems ready to go.
Agree, but we still need that back up ruckman. Either Daw comes in, or Petrie spends more time on the ball.

Btw, I find it funny when people bag the match committee for picking players to fit our structures. If the coaches were going to throw structure out the window and pick our best forward line from the available players they would more than likely be playing Hansen forward and this whole board would be up in arms about messing with the team structure :p

Sent from my Nokia 3210

I understand why we picked him, given the size of the ground and Goldstein's workload with Freo next week, but that was the most incredulous forward set-up I've ever seen. Maxwell and O'Brien just sat loose for the entire game and we just bombed long to contests where we had less numbers and no runners.

Mason Wood would have been a good selection in hindsight, as a lead-up option to at least make one of them accountable. Adams needed to stay across half forward too.

You make a good point there tazaa

I don't know anything about Watson, so maybe the heat is on him rather than Scott regarding the selection and our utter ineptness up forward basically for all of 2014.

I'd also like to be on that team meeting to pick Currie. Makes no sense at all, nor did it before the game.
Our defensive side to our game was our weakness but we blamed it on the players.
Our offensive side to our game this year is our weakness but who do we blame now? I see one factor that coincides with both here.
You cant blame it on acquiring Tudor and playing more defensive footy.
Are our players that dumb they forgot how to kick goals in a preaseason??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back