Game Day Port v Eagles @ Patersons Stadium Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine, we got three touchy decisions our way. Two of them we missed shots at goal and the commentators hailed the football gods like we had run over Matthew Campbell's cat.

The Wet Toast got some dicey decisions, including a goal from the resulting play of Boak's deliberate, and that's "good play Eagles".

Some crap decisions went our way, some crap ones didn't. Selwood should have been stripped of the ball for his elbow into Polec's head in the last quarter, but apparently that's what the home team is allowed to do in Subiaco. Glass will get weeks for his hit on Wingard.

Also for mine (and I say this as a former umpire, and not a Port supporter), I believe Glass could have been penalised for the late hit on Schulz on the last shot of the game giving Schulz a chance at two goals.

Schulz was shoved out of a couple of marking contests and took a couple of high hits in attempted spoils. All play on. One had to go our way.

Poxtel showed it. Goneski against any other side fer shure. Later than the Wingard hit IMO*

* but slo-mo replays can be deceptive.
Absolute Dog act(S) 2 weeks on wingard

4 weeks if done fairly on Schultz. I just watched the replay and it was ultra late, high impact with elbow, and off the ground. he's ****ed.

Just watched the last quarter replay. Thought we played well, given WC were throwing everything at us. Really though, we missed so many opportunies in the last q, could have won by 5 goals.

Wingard missed 2 goals
Cassisi 1 goal
Polec 1 goal
Various other shots at goal. We were pushing hard, and Boak really stepped up in the last quarter. Really happy with the result.

For mine, we got three touchy decisions our way. Two of them we missed shots at goal and the commentators hailed the football gods like we had run over Matthew Campbell's cat.

The Wet Toast got some dicey decisions, including a goal from the resulting play of Boak's deliberate, and that's "good play Eagles".

Some crap decisions went our way, some crap ones didn't. Selwood should have been stripped of the ball for his elbow into Polec's head in the last quarter, but apparently that's what the home team is allowed to do in Subiaco. Glass will get weeks for his hit on Wingard.

Also for mine (and I say this as a former umpire, and not a Port supporter), I believe Glass could have been penalised for the late hit on Schulz on the last shot of the game giving Schulz a chance at two goals.
Not sure about that one, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was only possible if the player threw the ball away (time wasting) Pretty sure we got a double goal at Ethiad vs Kangaroos a few years back.

Frees were 5-13 in the first half and ended up 12-19 so 7-6 in the second half. And there was Hartlett's 'mark' so by the numbers we had a slight advantage in the second half. And 1 ridiculous deliberate out of bounds each. Would have preferred to have seen Wingard continue limping after he took that mark in front, then he could have given the ball to Schulz. He was plainly still a bit affected when he took the kick. If we had lost by less than 5 points I would not have been pleased with him.
I loved the nod to the umpire, as if he was giving him the all clear, like in boxing. I reckon Wingard was out of it and in his own world. Looked real emotional after that goal.

Just finished watching. The game wasn't as ugly as i thought. Just high pressure, tough footy. Third quarter, im surprised wce didn't get further ahead. We did well to lift intensity in the fourth (thanks White).

Two more things that made me giggle:
- Wingard's face after he kicked the goal. Such a passionate >:-( face.
- Schulz' interview after the match with Mooney. Hahah both laughing at the bandage. Such a Hannibal look.

Good game

Not sure about that one, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was only possible if the player threw the ball away (time wasting) Pretty sure we got a double goal at Ethiad vs Kangaroos a few years back.
Hoff got a double earlier this year against Carlton. Most people don't realise how strict the law is.
Where a Free Kick is awarded to a Player immediately after the football passes the Goal or Behind Line but before the field Umpire signals “All Clear” or “Touched All Clear”, the following shall apply:
(a) Where the Player is in attack the field Umpire shall signal “All Clear” or “Touched All Clear”, after which the goal Umpire shall signal and record the score; and
(i) the Free Kick shall then be taken where the infringement occurred, or the position at which the football is brought back into play, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team.
(b) Where the Player is defending the field Umpire shall not signal “All clear” or “Touched All Clear” and a Free Kick shall be awarded.
It's touch and go as to whether Schulz was infringed after the ball went through the goals or before, but it's a moot point anyway. For mine it was a very ordinary non-call to not even pay the free kick.

The freekick count is 13-5 your way you banjo-picking bauxite addicts.
I had a lot of fun with ironic BOOOOOs this match from behind the goals.. BALL.. DELIBERATE.. It was quite liberating, the West Coast supporters around me were actively cringing towards the end at their own supporters' dumb booing.

Any ball up inside the 50 seems to receive a BOOOOOO by default, hilarious stuff

Last edited:
Frustrating game tonight but must admit I enjoyed watching the wce supporters doing the walk of shame and leaving early
I was recognised at the urinal post-game for being the Port supporter giving these guys s**t as they traipsed off. There was only 7 points in it when they left.. seriously guys?

The umpiring decisions were terrible at times for both sides. The Hartlett mark wasn't good of course but moments earlier Schulz got elbowed in a marking contest and pushed forward and received a play on. The football world has been crying out for 'play on' on 50/50 calls but in these first few rounds they think they're doing such a fantastic thing for the game by not whistling dead set violations of the game. Wingard's crush should have been 50m but he got it anyway. I'm probably forgetting all the good calls they make but fair dinkum it seems like they haven't ever played the game themselves.

Hey, it isn't about umpires but about how our players keep going, keep believing, do the smalll things, stand up, Hinkley knowing what to do, and us finding ways to win games, last season and this season. Even that North game we were in it to win it and I still think our injuries had a bit to do with us not getting that win.

Good good win.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was recognised at the urinal post-game for being the Port supporter giving these guys s**t as they traipsed off. There was only 7 points in it when they left.. seriously guys?

After we beat Carlton by 5 points with 2 goals in the last 10 seconds the supporters should be like the team and never, ever give up. The team can do their bit but they will do it better with the supporters believing too. The cows 19th man may be a shoddy piece of marketing but the idea behind it is 100% true.

Sorry Mic but I can't agree re the 19th man. For a start there's 22 in the named side unless they believe the supporters can kick more goals than the bench.
It's nice that your being objective but I think 80% of what they do is just plain cringe worthy.
Nuh they're a marketing shambles led by the biggest smuggest w***er going in Nigel Not So.

If wingard has gone to hospital due to concussion? Glass could be in lots of trouble..

Was only able to listen to the game on MMM last night, but they were of the opinion that he will be suspended for a couple weeks at least, if not a month.

nah think shaw V gussy in the Elimination Final last year. Back to back goals from the square

I had a lot of fun with ironic BOOOOOs this match from behind the goals.. BALL.. DELIBERATE.. It was quite liberating, the West Coast supporters around me were actively cringing towards the end at their own supporters' dumb booing.

Any ball up inside the 50 seems to receive a BOOOOOO by default, hilarious stuff
Wce eagles fans think they are gods gift to football....I read what people here say about the 19th man ....but until you experience the eagles fans you cant explain how ridiculous they are and why I refuse to talk football with any of the scum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back