Pick 15: Christian Howard

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuller was pick 42 in a shallow draft, I really don't understand people bemoaning this pick. Obviously we just didn't have our eye on anyone else, and from what people here knew/saw he looked like a good pickup that hasn't worked.
Yup. Nail. Head.

At the risk of getting certain bigfooty folks emotional, Fuller has given us no more and no less than Prudden to date, and I haven't heard anyone calling that a terrible selection.

Yup. Nail. Head.

At the risk of getting certain bigfooty folks emotional, Fuller has given us no more and no less than Prudden to date, and I haven't heard anyone calling that a terrible selection.
The thing is, when Prudden has been uninjured and able to play, he has looked really good. Fuller hasn't shown anything at all. Seems to be really struggling despite being a mature player with much more experience.

Goneski.
Gutless performance tonight, I'm sorry. I'm still firmly positive about our direction and confident something's going to happen to change our direction in 2014 but Howard is finished. There was no reason for his selection ahead of any of the VFL boys who were actually banging down the door aside from giving him his last chance and he just doesn't look interested.

I was one of the people hoping the rocket up the arse would get him to the next level by staking his claim over the next few games. No chance of playing for us again, I'd be disgusted if he did to be honest

I actually feel pretty sorry for him, he'll know he is gone after tonight. He cops it a lot, mostly through no fault of his own. If Dalrymple had taken him where he should have been picked, in the late rounds or rookie, he wouldn't have to deal with all the pressure and hate we put on him.

He still isn't cut out for AFL football, but at least he would have an easier time from the fans.

Yup. Nail. Head.

Yup. Nail. Head.

Seen both play only a couple of times , if Prudden doesn't prove to be the better footballer , I'll join the priesthood.
18 yr v 23 when drafted , who would you think has the most improvement in them ?
Prudden in only his first VFL game -BOG.
Case is compelling I would think !

The worry is no longer Howard. His selection has helped put this club where it is today.
My worry how the f... He was drafted where he was.
Now the next question I would like answered is why Fuller was taken where he was ?
Pathetic drafting. Both don't make any sense considering where the list was at.
Dalrymple needs to stop second guessing what other clubs are going to do and just draft best available. He took Howard and fuller because he was nervous they wouldn't be there at our lower selections. Amazing that this still happens at our club.

Fuller might be the least afl like talent I can ever recall being on the list. He's poor defensively, awful at contested footy, has no idea how to find the footy, and the pace of vfl is way too much for him. Utterly gobsmacked by the selection.

I've seen enough of dalrymple I'm afraid. I want him gone.

I watch Footscray VFL every week and used to send in reports, until some clown made a serious personal attack on my family.
For what it is worth, Howard was talked up to be BOG against Coburg, Maple stated he was clearly best on ground.
Just absolute bullshit, he was not in our best 6, straight into senior side, the previous 8 weeks, his form had been terrible.
The question I ask, are we being made fools of ????
Some of us have played and coached a lot of football, certainly played at higher level than you and Maple, Macca.
JJ, STRINGER, HUNTER, JONES, CAMBPELL, CORDY, all playing at Footscray VFL, not learning a bloody thing, there so called management or development of players is disgraceful.
Macca just a rookie coach, MAPLE, well he has not coached at TAC level, lucky to called a rookie coach., Going to watch Footscray VFL to play each week, the football is no better than watching the senior team, playing bottom sides in last two games, the football is poor, no run, slow ball movement, and so on.
Time to go Macca, take all your mates with you, that you have cleverly placed around you.
It is possible to turn this club around, but not with Macca and friends.

So very true.
Dalrymple needs to stop second guessing what other clubs are going to do and just draft best available. He took Howard and fuller because he was nervous they wouldn't be there at our lower selections. Amazing that this still happens at our club.

Fuller might be the least afl like talent I can ever recall being on the list. He's poor defensively, awful at contested footy, has no idea how to find the footy, and the pace of vfl is way too much for him. Utterly gobsmacked by the selection.

I've seen enough of dalrymple I'm afraid. I want him gone.
t

Howard and Fuller selections are so bad, they are laughable. Williamstown play Werribee today, they would not get a game with either club.
Time for big changes at Bulldogs.

I watch Footscray VFL every week and used to send in reports, until some clown made a serious personal attack on my family.
For what it is worth, Howard was talked up to be BOG against Coburg, Maple stated he was clearly best on ground.
Just absolute bullshit, he was not in our best 6, straight into senior side, the previous 8 weeks, his form had been terrible.
The question I ask, are we being made fools of ????
Some of us have played and coached a lot of football, certainly played at higher level than you and Maple, Macca.
JJ, STRINGER, HUNTER, JONES, CAMBPELL, CORDY, all playing at Footscray VFL, not learning a bloody thing, there so called management or development of players is disgraceful.
Macca just a rookie coach, MAPLE, well he has not coached at TAC level, lucky to called a rookie coach., Going to watch Footscray VFL to play each week, the football is no better than watching the senior team, playing bottom sides in last two games, the football is poor, no run, slow ball movement, and so on.
Time to go Macca, take all your mates with you, that you have cleverly placed around you.
It is possible to turn this club around, but not with Macca and friends.

I was at the Coburg game as well , you are spot on , Howard was ok . If anyone remembers my report he played against a team that had all the 18 in our forward half , left the halfbacks without opponents most of the day.
I would have got the odd kick playing half back.
Even though he got it quite a few times , some say 30 , he was far from convincing.

By the way Black Pup hope we are going to see your reports again , always looked forward to your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalrymple needs to be locked up and the key thrown away for the Howard Decision. The Mind Boggles....
Fuller pick just as bad, a very poor decision. Go and have a look next week Footscray VFL. I wish every member would go and have a look.
It TRUELY gives you a good look at the direction we are heading.
Macca has set up a team of his mates around him, no questions asked, very smart really, when you have never played at the level.

All over for Howard I think - bad draft but not as bad as Jarrad Grant #5 and Tim Walsh #4 by his predecessor who failed to fire as a recruiter in his last few years with us.

How a player can be in the system for this long and still cannot handball or kick on the opposite side of the body makes me wonder what has happened to this game. Surrounded by coaching staff doing what? Number of players in our side cannot use the opposite side of the body. Let alone use there good side to kick or handball at all. Skills are the worst I have ever seen in my time watching football.

Yup. Nail. Head.

All hail the Church of Fuller!

I actually feel pretty sorry for him, he'll know he is gone after tonight. He cops it a lot, mostly through no fault of his own. If Dalrymple had taken him where he should have been picked, in the late rounds or rookie, he wouldn't have to deal with all the pressure and hate we put on him.

He still isn't cut out for AFL football, but at least he would have an easier time from the fans.

It's not his fault, I get that. I don't buy the whole debate on were he was taken though. If anything it's saved his behind and got him extra years that he shouldn't have, made him more money in the process so heat from the fans is the least of his concerns. Instead of cutting our losses we're hanging onto him because he might live up to that pick #15.

Sadly our coach thinks he's paving a good career? Hopefully last night his awful decision of playing him again slapped him swiftly across the face.

I've always been one to be patient and give time to players and coaches alike, but I think the time has come for Howard to be moved on. Hopefully for his sake he goes onto have a solid career at state level. I do think the Dogs did well standing by him with the injuries and to give him time. But I think its the end of the road.

You can do this with any player in the AFL. Forget his draft pick, it's haunted him (and us) enough during his career.

Can't remember a bigger WTF draft pick at the time, so given it's been such a failure, our recruiters ought wear the flack. From memory, Jake Carlisle and Aaron Black were legitimate considerations. Given our continued need for talls, it was a crazy pick, followed by a bunch a delusional bullshit which some of us swallowed at the time.

Fuller was pick 42 in a shallow draft, I really don't understand people bemoaning this pick. Obviously we just didn't have our eye on anyone else, and from what people here knew/saw he looked like a good pickup that hasn't worked.

I guess, as an extension you could call in to question the similar "moneyball" selection of Fuller. Seems pretty early to put a line through him though.
Out of interest, who do people think we should have picked instead?

3 42 Western Bulldogs Matthew Fuller Western Bulldogs 0
3 43 West Coast Tom Barrass West Coast 0
3 44 Sydney Aliir Aliir Sydney 0
3 45 Port Adelaide Mitchell Harvey Port Adelaide 0
3 46 Adelaide Riley Knight Adelaide 0
3 47 North Melbourne Ben Brown North Melbourne 0
3 48 GWS PASS
3 49 West Coast Dylan Main West Coast 0
3 50 Richmond Nathan Gordon Richmond 5
3 51 Carlton Nick Holman Carlton 0
3 52 Port Adelaide Darcy Byrne-Jones Port Adelaide 0
3 53 Sydney PASS
3 54 Geelong Joshua Walker Geelong 2
3 55 Essendon Orazio Fantasia Essendon 0
3 56 Hawthorn James Sicily Hawthorn 0
4 57 Melbourne Jayden Hunt Melbourne 0
4 58 Fremantle Brady Grey Fremantle 0
4 59 Hawthorn Jonathon Ceglar Hawthorn 5
4 60 Western Bulldogs Mitch Honeychurch Western Bulldogs 0

Personally, I would have gone Ben Brown (22yo ruckmen), who were also linked to.
Or James Sicily from the Western Jets, because I like cut of him.
Honeychurch is actually one of the better prospects on that list. Would people be upset if we had him at 42?

Is it possible to put Howard on the LTI list? Any number of reasons would suffice;
  • Right leg obviously requires amputation, it just doesn't and never has worked, gangrenous has set in.
  • Heart transplant is needed as current Jam Tart heart only pumps minimal blood giving very poor endurance and zero repeated efforts.
  • Futuristic exoskeleton needs installing. His chalk like bones do not allow any physical contact

Can't remember a bigger WTF draft pick at the time, so given it's been such a failure, our recruiters ought wear the flack. From memory, Jake Carlisle and Aaron Black were legitimate considerations. Given our continued need for talls, it was a crazy pick, followed by a bunch a delusional bullshit which some of us swallowed at the time.

I guess, as an extension you could call in to question the similar "moneyball" selection of Fuller. Seems pretty early to put a line through him though.
Out of interest, who do people think we should have picked instead?

3 42 Western Bulldogs Matthew Fuller Western Bulldogs 0
3 43 West Coast Tom Barrass West Coast 0
3 44 Sydney Aliir Aliir Sydney 0
3 45 Port Adelaide Mitchell Harvey Port Adelaide 0
3 46 Adelaide Riley Knight Adelaide 0
3 47 North Melbourne Ben Brown North Melbourne 0
3 48 GWS PASS
3 49 West Coast Dylan Main West Coast 0
3 50 Richmond Nathan Gordon Richmond 5
3 51 Carlton Nick Holman Carlton 0
3 52 Port Adelaide Darcy Byrne-Jones Port Adelaide 0
3 53 Sydney PASS
3 54 Geelong Joshua Walker Geelong 2
3 55 Essendon Orazio Fantasia Essendon 0
3 56 Hawthorn James Sicily Hawthorn 0
4 57 Melbourne Jayden Hunt Melbourne 0
4 58 Fremantle Brady Grey Fremantle 0
4 59 Hawthorn Jonathon Ceglar Hawthorn 5
4 60 Western Bulldogs Mitch Honeychurch Western Bulldogs 0

Personally, I would have gone Ben Brown (22yo ruckmen), who were also linked to.
Or James Sicily from the Western Jets, because I like cut of him.
Honeychurch is actually one of the better prospects on that list. Would people be upset if we had him at 42?

I agree that picking him at 42 in a shallow draft is not necessarily a terrible selection, and yes I think we should be more patient but it's not looking great so far.

In terms of who I would've picked ahead of him, probably would have preferred Ben Brown, Darcy Byrne-Jones and Tom Langdon (he's a big one we missed out on). Jonothan Marsh is another I would have preferred although a lot of people have doubts on him as a footballer. Of some of the guys who were taken as rookies, I would have preferred Templeton, Cameron and Battersby.

Honeychurch expected to be selected at 42 after he was told we'd be recruiting him.

Considering the form he had in the Championships I would've been happy. I still can't believe he slipped to 60 in that draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back