Discussion What Footy Jumpers/Sports Uniforms Do You Own?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I agree with you all now. The little bobbles on the bottom of the left wing appear to be the same. That's awesome news then MIKE85 !! So the guy really wasn't lying when he said it was a Matera jumper

I reckon I agree with you all now. The little bobbles on the bottom of the left wing appear to be the same. That's awesome news then MIKE85 !! So the guy really wasn't lying when he said it was a Matera jumper

He had it advertised as a Peter Matera Finals worn jumper. We played both our finals in 94, Qualifying & Pre-lim at home, so we wore the same jumper, but had SGIO on the front & the back, so it wasn't worn during the finals, but I knew that when I bought it, and didn't bother going into little details with the seller, was a fair price for what it was without it having to be finals worn.

I was pretty sure before I found this pic that he had worn it, or it had at least been washed plenty of times. It has those little balls all over it:confused: You know the ones I mean? When you wash and dry wooly type things and they get those tiny little balls of fluff all over them? It's kind of hard to explain but with the pre season centenary I got a few backs, that one, without a doubt, has never been worn, it's fabric is brand new feeling and looking, and was likely signed and framed straight away, where as this one has had a hard life by the looks of it.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think it's called "pilling", often happens on old wool jumpers that have had a lot of wears. It's a pretty cool piece of history that you have, even better that you've been able to photo-match it, a la 23_fan 's NBA collection

This just turned up. I haven't pulled it out of the box yet as I don't want to stink out my office.

I must say that Hawthorn's effort craps all over Brisbane's. Nicely presented. Brisbane's was handed to me stuffed in a Lion's Shop bag. Not critical to me, but also didn't come with a COA.

2lj73nr.jpg

s24e1i.jpg

So the back of this thing is filthy. And stinks.

Really not sure what I'm going to with it i.e frame it or not. I gave the previous match worn a wash. Would you guys normally wash them first? Or just try and spray it with something like frebreeze?
ra2atc.jpg
fcqtyp.jpg
15i53kn.jpg

Personally I don't go for match worns for that reason, I wouldn't know what to do with it! I got a West Coast indigenous guernsey, well I'm still waiting for it, but I went for a player I knew wasn't playing cause I just wanted the P.I. not a match worn. I get the appeal of the MW's but I like you would be keen to give them a little clean, and I guess that defeats the purpose of them doesn't it?

If you don't frame it, what will you do with it? Would you wear it, if it aired out enough and didn't stink?

I suppose I'd like the match-worns knowing it's been worn out on the field and has the sublimated number and all that, and wouldn't mind so much about washing it. I probably wouldn't wear it though, would rather just display it.

So the back of this thing is filthy. And stinks.

Really not sure what I'm going to with it i.e frame it or not. I gave the previous match worn a wash. Would you guys normally wash them first? Or just try and spray it with something like frebreeze?
ra2atc.jpg
fcqtyp.jpg
15i53kn.jpg
I wash mine, but it's cool if you want to frame it.

Personally I don't go for match worns for that reason, I wouldn't know what to do with it! I got a West Coast indigenous guernsey, well I'm still waiting for it, but I went for a player I knew wasn't playing cause I just wanted the P.I. not a match worn.

I did this when I bought the Lions' one. Except it turned out they were all worn because the NEAFL team wore them too. Ha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have had a similar problem where the box now stinks. any ideas?
Try putting some odour eater in it. Like you would shoes, and see how that goes.

I have washed the jumper on a quick cycle. Still quite dirty but the smell is gone.

The thing with framing, and using the Lions' indigenous jumper as an example, is that you lose half the jumper in the process. You'd want to display the front in these instances. But there is also quite a bit of detail you would lose out on on the back.

Try putting some odour eater in it. Like you would shoes, and see how that goes.

I have washed the jumper on a quick cycle. Still quite dirty but the smell is gone.

The thing with framing, and using the Lions' indigenous jumper as an example, is that you lose half the jumper in the process. You'd want to display the front in these instances. But there is also quite a bit of detail you would lose out on on the back.
Has anyone ever cut a jersey/guernsey open for framing?

I have seen a couple of frames where they have front and back. So it's either two separate jumpers or they've picked the seams and used two halves.

Last edited:
Ordered this a couple of months ago and it arrived today. It's not a PI, but the material feels a bit different to my other replicas. Love that the name and numbers are sublimated.
Honeychurch named.jpg

Is it me or is the 22's outline black?
You're correct. Could be seen on field too, just to distinguish the number from the white hoop. I don't mind it actually.
323121-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Yep, because the name forces the number down into the white hoop.

Just another reason that names are for the tip.
Out of interest, do you know why it is that North Melbourne have black numbers on their blue and white guernseys?
It's one of the more aesthetically pleasing colour combinations in the league and that just takes away from it a bit, for me.

On the names, I like them. Take away the F.F.C., which wouldn't be there if we stuck with our identity, and there wouldn't be an issue. People love the merchandise, the players like to run around representing their family and themselves as well as the club, and while they're no help for identification purposes at the ground and not much better on TV, they're a good-looking addition to the guernseys if there isn't too much clutter. But each to their own, of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back