Martin or Luey?

Remove this Banner Ad

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
when Martin first started playing for us I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I was disspointed. He got himself into position to mark the ball them constantly fumbled. I do remember some melbourne supporters at the time saying that as a forward he was rubbish but showed a bit in the ruck.
He showed a couple of glimpses but thats all.
Now......
He is simply supreme. One of the best ruckman playing AFL.
He has proved this against the best over the last 4 weeks or so.
I worked with a guy who played representative basketball with martin who said he is an athletic freak and naturally super skillful.

So what are we going to do when Luey is back??? They are both ordinary going forward.... both are awesome in the middle. ...
If Martin keeps this form up I know my decision..... whats yours?

In my mind Luey has potential to be very good, Martin is better and showing it every week. My choice would be to keep Martin and trade Luey, West as number two ruck/forward, Archie our future/backup

I think Leuenberger still comes back in, although he definitely plays second fiddle to Martin, although I'm not sure what the point is in even bringing back in this year.

Slightly off topic, but if both were to be available on the open market this season, Martin would definitely attract a lot more.

I too was one of the many that derided the decision to bring in Martin, not what we paid for him, which was nothing, but just that I didn't rate him at all. Like many things, I got it completely wrong and couldn't be more impressed with the transformation, if you could even call that. Nonetheless, Martin has exceeded my expectations by a long mark and I would go as far as saying he is up there as the one of the form ruckmen in the comp. I wouldn't even think twice in who I would select between Martin and Leuenberger. Martin by a mile.

Martin is a bigger body and knows how to use it. Leuy is supposed to be more mobile but i don't really see that much difference between them in that regard. Right now if Leuy came back and was fully fit i would still use Martin purely on form.

Luey for me every single day if fully fit. He is the potential best ruckman in the league with his versatility. However Martin has certainly thrust himself to stay Number 1 Ruck when Luey is back. Leuy goes to FF to get his fitness etc. back and has the job in front of him to prove that he can become the elite ruckman he has shown time and time again he could be... then he gets injured.

Martin had his best and only good year as solo ruck for Melbourne. As great as he is going, he has to prove he is more than a one season player that drops off. If he doesn't, we have the best ruck combination in the league.

I wouldn't trade either of them.

We'll play both. One will play Merrett's current role forward, Merrett will go down back and Maguire will be depth. They'll spit the ruck close to 50:50.

Bergs every day of the week when fit. I like the ability to have both playing splitting time between ruck and forward. Either one will dominate an opposition teams back up ruck, and both offer different qualities up forward. They can both take a good grab, and at their height they will always keep defenders nervous.

We'll play both. One will play Merrett's current role forward, Merrett will go down back and Maguire will be depth. They'll spit the ruck close to 50:50.
Didn't realise you were the one who decides what happens on the Lions football club.
Personally, l don't think Leppa will get rid of Maguire as he has been in really good form and helping our defence enormously.

Didn't realise you were the one who decides what happens on the Lions football club.
Personally, l don't think Leppa will get rid of Maguire as he has been in really good form and helping our defence enormously.

He was pretty good last year before Leppa played Lisle ahead of him this season. Although you'd hope he learnt his lesson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both fully match ready, Leuey. He can win you games. Stef is in supreme form and I think that will only force Leuenberger to lift his game too.

I really hate knocking on Leuey because he has been loyal and worked so damn hard to come back from numerous injuries. One part of his game that really needs to improve IMO is his contested marking.

From my observations it's a part of his game that hasn't really come along and hurts us, particularly from the kick outs. Watch a team like West Coast or Freo and they have a very reliable long kick out option by going to their rucks. I don't think Leue offers this option.

Hopefully they can both find a spot in the team next year.

both-jpg.30745

With Martin's form he's certainly our number one ruck at the moment and even a fit player of Leuie's calibre isn't going to change that but I definitely believe both can function in the same team and I'm hoping to see that in the future. I think our recruiters and coaching department have long wanted to be able to have a two dynamic ruck set up, we may be on the precipice of being able to have that. Just need to develop their forward game, something we can't do unless we have them both fit and in the same team.

Their styles complement each other ... Martin is super skilled as a linkup man and is a very strong cat now. Both of them with Westy up front, I reckon.

I think we have room for both in my opinion. Martin in as 1st choice Ruck with leuy as backup. They can alternate between resting in the forward line and the best part is that We wont have someone like close or merrett shouldering the 2nd ruck responsibilities and allow them to focus on their natural game a bit more.

I can't wait until we have both, hoping that Leuy comes in next week so neither Sauce or Close have to fill in as the backup ruck anymore. Nice problem to have that we can have this debate after the offseason.

Can't see why we won't play both? Leuy will be a huge in for us, our structures will look so much better with him in the team. He'll most likely play 80% forward / 20% ruck to ease him back into full form/fitness, we're already lacking another big target in the forward line so it'll work out nicely and Close won't have to worry about the ruck duties anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back