The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

thecatattack dictionary;

Define; Classic: An album you think is good.

Ignorance is bliss

Have you ever read a Lil Wayne topic on Rap Genius? The albums I posted are widely agreed upon as great albums.

If you posted a Lil Wayne vs Hopsin thread they'd s**t on you.

Ignorance is bliss

Have you ever read a Lil Wayne topic on Rap Genius? The albums I posted are widely agreed upon as great albums.

If you posted a Lil Wayne vs Hopsin thread they'd s**t on you.
The fact that you think Lil Wayne has 4 classics is ignorance.

Your delusion is staggering.

All good.

I don't get the bolded, though. The lyrical content in this song is 100% valid. Can you reference me a bar that you don't think makes sense?

He goes off on tangents that stray from the message he's trying to deliver. The government thing near the end for example. I agree that it's valid, but some of the metaphors/turns of phrase are very clunky (the Tupac thing - what? "I ain't seen no talking snakes unravel from trees" is just clunky). I've heard the stuff in the first verse a hundred times before.

I think a lot of the way he approaches the topic could benefit from a dose of maturity.

I should make it clear that I think it's a commendable effort, I just think the 'masterpiece' and 'omg best song of the year!' talk from people is overblown. Hip-hop has tackled religion before to good effect.

I say lacks focus not because what he's saying isn't valid, but because he seems to undermine himself by repeating points with slightly different words and saying things that I've heard before in music. He seems concerned with multis more than lyrics in points which is to the detriment of it as a whole.

Stuff like this is great:

There's way too many religions with vivid descriptions
Begging all ****ing men and women to listen

But why not expand on it? He drops it straight away and talks about how he feels guilty because he's having a wank. Exploring the confusion of different religions colouring his idea of the one 'true' religion would have been far more interesting for me than what he went with. The strongest parts of the track are when he focuses himself on a theme for an extended period - the horse's mouth bit onwards is a good example.

I know it's Hopsin's style and I should expect it. The delivery is fantastic and covers up a lot of flaws. But I can't see it as something I'll go back to as it's frustrating for me personally.

Hopefully that makes sense, I'm just rambling while the footy is on :p. I get what people see in it and admit I may be a little jaded.

Do you understand how many albums Wayne has dropped compared to them?

What does this mean? If we're talking studio albums it's 10 (Wayne) vs 11 (Nas) vs 8 (Eminem). If you want to bring in Hot Boys/Young Money stuff and include group albums from the others it's much the same either way. There's not a big difference in the number they've put out.

You know my thoughts on Wayne so I won't weigh in, was just confused what you were saying there.

What does this mean? If we're talking studio albums it's 10 (Wayne) vs 11 (Nas) vs 8 (Eminem). If you want to bring in Hot Boys/Young Money stuff and include group albums from the others it's much the same either way. There's not a big difference in the number they've put out.

You know my thoughts on Wayne so I won't weigh in, was just confused what you were saying there.

2 of the albums I posted were mixtapes. So I'm talking discography. He's dropped 32 albums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back