Kudos to Richo and the coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Richo and his coaching staff deserve a big pat on the back for what they have done with Bruce and Savage.

Josh Bruce was recruited to fill the gaping hole down back and has been transformed into a contesting forward that has opened the forward line up really well. I know he played a few games forward for the Giants and has only had 1 good one for us so far but it looked awesome last weekend.

Everyone on this board was saying how Savage wouldn't just play high forward for us but would move into the middle. the drive he is giving us off half back is terrific.

Well done fellas, I think we're on the right track.

I think Richo and his coaching staff deserve a big pat on the back for what they have done with Bruce and Savage.

Josh Bruce was recruited to fill the gaping hole down back and has been transformed into a contesting forward that has opened the forward line up really well. I know he played a few games forward for the Giants and has only had 1 good one for us so far but it looked awesome last weekend.

Everyone on this board was saying how Savage wouldn't just play high forward for us but would move into the middle. the drive he is giving us off half back is terrific.

I don't think they have transformed Bruce into a key forward. I think he is there filling a gap that needs to be filled due to Maister and Lee not being able to fill it. As glad I am to see a third tall down there I think his future is definitely as a backman.

Savage has been brilliant since going to half back, I'd like to see him have a crack in the middle before the end of the year while his confidence is high.

I don't think they have transformed Bruce into a key forward. I think he is there filling a gap that needs to be filled due to Maister and Lee not being able to fill it. As glad I am to see a third tall down there I think his future is definitely as a backman.

Savage has been brilliant since going to half back, I'd like to see him have a crack in the middle before the end of the year while his confidence is high.

I reckon they played him forward at Sandy for quite a bit to get him doing what he needed to, to make the move at AFL level.

Well he contested well and made a lot of difference to our structure but what did he have? 6 touches, no goals in a dominant game? I think the love for him as a forward is a bit premature.
The best part about Bruce's game was him leading up and having to be covered leaving a vacuum behind him for Rhys to lead into.

His run, carry and long kicking are his strengths, why blunt hem in the middle? Wing/HBF would seem ideal.

Well he contested well and made a lot of difference to our structure but what did he have? 6 touches, no goals in a dominant game? I think the love for him as a forward is a bit premature.
He creates a headache as hes so competitive. I think being premature is making judgements on his first game under the new structure.

He creates a headache as hes so competitive. I think being premature is making judgements on his first game under the new structure.
I think your right Coops, if it continues to work it will be interesting to see what happens when other clubs start coaching against it.

His run, carry and long kicking are his strengths, why blunt hem in the middle? Wing/HBF would seem ideal.

Just to expand on that, in the Freo game he was kicking it over the Freo defensive set up, running from 30m out from their goal and putting it well into the fwd 50m.

We've been getting murdered all year off the turnover at half forward, if he gets it 20-30m more into the pocket, we then have a 1 on 1 as opposed to a 1 on 3 and at worse a greater ability to force a stoppage in our F50. If they move back to compensate it opens up the Riewoldt type lead to the flanks.

One of the few players we have who can combine an inside F50 with an outside D50, Aussie Jones style.

Edit: just looked it up, he had the most rebounds from 50 and the most inside 50's

I think his physical presence in the forward line is a good compliment to Roo and Stanley. Nobody else seems capable of playing that role and even talking long term I don't think it will be Lee or White's go so until we have another option I'd be leaving him there. Obviously he'll need more goals and touches to stay there permanently but I'm not going to say he can't do it after one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see him add another element to his game. He is good enough to play midfield, the more guys we have that are able to run through the middle the better.

It's not like we have outside mids coming out out a-hole so why not see how he goes?

I'd leave savage in the back pocket for the rest of the year and beyond. I think u need one of those types there. Him n wright could own those positions.
Webster and Savage, with Wright charging through the wing.

Webster, Delaney, Geary
Savage, Fisher, Wright/Roberton

With a replacement for Chips that back 6 looks set for 2020, give em their medals now.:D

Wright maybe to take Gear's spot if he goes across the Bay?
I don't think the club would want that age bracket leaving us right now and if he is RFA we can match an offer.
Who knows after Macca last year nothing would surprise.

I don't think the club would even care if Geary left.

Unrestricted FA, club would take a pick sure we lose leadership but out of all the "older" players on our list he is easily the most replaceable.

I hate having to say this - but the commentators on Saturday were all over the forward set up and how well it worked.

Dermott pointed out on a number of occasions how the three talls created space for each other which meant that Freo defence was all over the shop. What does a defender do if Roo is down past the centre - stay follow or just get confused (Freo picked the third option)

Bruce played all of his footy at CHB until 3 weeks ago... Until as someone pointed out
Siposs, Lee, Maister became unavailable!

They even tried Simpkin fwd.

Bruce will end up a CHB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back