Watson to Hird: Don't come back in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Off-field, the club's supporters have been strangely galvanised by this saga and I honestly think we can thank Fairfax for that. Their irrational and personal attacks on Hird and the club, coupled with their loose fact checking, have made it difficult for Essendon supporters to see the forest for the trees and we've bunkered down. Perhaps if Fairfax didn't so obviously 'play the man' we'd have a little bit more objectivity as a supporter base.. who really knows?

That's where we diverge, because I see nothing irrational or personal. Sensation driven, yes. Vindictive or personal? Nah.

The whole evil Caro thing looks really transparent to me, and I'll admit that's because it accords with my own sense of the right way to run a railroad.

Hird rightly said at the beginning that he must take full responsibility. It's a no brainer. Not the CEO, not the Chairman, not the minions. Hird is the man at the centre of the web and even if blameless (which I find very hard to believe) he was the man to step down or at least step aside. Take one for the team.

So as the human sacrifices mounted up, I found the ongoing calls for Hird to man up entirely natural.

Nice whack from Matthews:

Four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews believed that the decision to leave Hird on the periphery for the rest of the season was a no-brainer.

"Hirdy should have come to that conclusion himself," Matthews said on 3AW on Thursday night. "You don't need the club to be telling you that. It is so obvious."

Nice whack from Matthews:

It's not often that Matthews makes a fool of himself but he certainly has right here.

Aside from the fact it was the plan for the past 5 months, Little said in his media statement that Hird made the suggestion and it was agreed by the club.

So essentially what Matthews is saying is "Hirdy should have done exactly what he did do. He's awesome"

That's where we diverge, because I see nothing irrational or personal. Sensation driven, yes. Vindictive or personal? Nah.

The whole evil Caro thing looks really transparent to me, and I'll admit that's because it accords with my own sense of the right way to run a railroad.

Hird rightly said at the beginning that he must take full responsibility. It's a no brainer. Not the CEO, not the Chairman, not the minions. Hird is the man at the centre of the web and even if blameless (which I find very hard to believe) he was the man to step down or at least step aside. Take one for the team.

So as the human sacrifices mounted up, I found the ongoing calls for Hird to man up entirely natural.

Nothing wrong with that position, I understand it. That said, I can tell you for a fact that I personally would be more objective about Hird's role if I didn't feel that Hird was at least in part scapegoated by both the AFL and Fairfax. Moreover I don't think I'm alone in that view.

For that reason I don't think this saga has damaged the club. We've certainly put the barriers up but to a large extent it's made us stronger. Infraction notices/suspensions would obviously threaten the unity but at the same time it's very much us vs them so I think the club would survive them.

what happened to him jumping into the coaches box round 23 and having Essendon by the short and curlies?
Obviously Essendon have told him F off and get away from it this year, it's a good decision and one that should've been undertaken when the suspension was first handed down. Who knows who will have the last laugh, someone certainly has somebody by the short and curlies, but i wonder if Little is not regretting his initial decision to retain Hird as senior coach in 2015 and beyond? Hird may still have the last laugh.

Obviously Essendon have told him F off and get away from it this year, it's a good decision and one that should've been undertaken when the suspension was first handed down. Who knows who will have the last laugh, someone certainly has somebody by the short and curlies, but i wonder if Little is not regretting his initial decision to retain Hird as senior coach in 2015 and beyond? Hird may still have the last laugh.

um...go to 8 min in and then retract everything you've posted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For that reason I don't think this saga has damaged the club. We've certainly put the barriers up but to a large extent it's made us stronger. Infraction notices/suspensions would obviously threaten the unity but at the same time it's very much us vs them so I think the club would survive them.

I'd suggest that misses some very important considerations. The solidarity at Essendon on several levels has indeed been somewhat surprising, and in it's way impressive. But I would advance that bunkering down behind barriers does not make you stronger. It provides an illusion of safety while in the large picture you become weaker.

One example. A few weeks ago there was an amusing talkback radio piece about Woolworths being nailed in court by the regulator for having signs in their stores saying "Bread baked fresh in store daily." The bread was in fact baked elsewhere (Ireland I believe), frozen and then thawed in store daily.

A Woolworths spokesman defended this by stating that they felt they'd done nothing wrong, it was a retail environment and that it was the customer's responsibility to discern that the signs were not true. The station received a stack of talkback callers, texts and emails along the lines of I was confused whether I was listening to a spokesman from Woolworths or a spokesman from Essendon Football Club.

Damage. An impression so strong in the wider community that EFC = untruthful weasels that it can be used as a joke commenting on another subject. And everyone who hears it understands it.

Internal strength is important. But it's not as important as external relationships with other Clubs, the AFL, the broader football audience and the general community.

Hird wasn't running zone defence drills at Hooper's clinic, so how would he know?

JAMES Hird suspected Collingwood players were pushing the boundaries and that West Coast was "definitely up to something'', according to new claims in the Essendon drugs scandal on Tuesday night. Essendon's then sports scientist Stephen Dank allegedly wrote in a text to Hird last April that West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn were "biologically advanced''.

"We need to change our biology for a little while,'' Dank was purported to have replied in a text to Hird that was aired on the ABC's 7.30 program.

According to the 7.30 program, an April 2012 a text sent by Hird to Dank detailed the writer's hatred for Hawthorn.

"I hate them more than anyone,'' the text read.

"Remember everyone is the enemy and everyone has to be bled,'' Dank is said to have replied.

"That way you don't just take comfort in tearing Hawthorn apart, you take pride in tearing the competition apart. I also know they are trying everything they can in supplements and recovery modes to win this premiership.''

According to the ABC program, Hird replied to Dank: "But not as good as us in that area.''

Last edited:
JAMES Hird suspected Collingwood players were pushing the boundaries and that West Coast was "definitely up to something'', according to new claims in the Essendon drugs scandal on Tuesday night. Essendon's then sports scientist Stephen Dank allegedly wrote in a text to Hird last April that West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn were "biologically advanced''.

"We need to change our biology for a little while,'' Dank was purported to have replied in a text to Hird that was aired on the ABC's 7.30 program.

According to the 7.30 program, an April 2012 a text sent by Hird to Dank detailed the writer's hatred for Hawthorn.

"I hate them more than anyone,'' the text read.

"Remember everyone is the enemy and everyone has to be bled,'' Dank is said to have replied.

"That way you don't just take comfort in tearing Hawthorn apart, you take pride in tearing the competition apart. I also know they are trying everything they can in supplements and recovery modes to win this premiership.''

According to the ABC program, Hird replied to Dank: "But not as good as us in that area.''
Thank you linesman,thank you ball boys.....

I'd suggest that misses some very important considerations. The solidarity at Essendon on several levels has indeed been somewhat surprising, and in it's way impressive. But I would advance that bunkering down behind barriers does not make you stronger. It provides an illusion of safety while in the large picture you become weaker.

One example. A few weeks ago there was an amusing talkback radio piece about Woolworths being nailed in court by the regulator for having signs in their stores saying "Bread baked fresh in store daily." The bread was in fact baked elsewhere (Ireland I believe), frozen and then thawed in store daily.

A Woolworths spokesman defended this by stating that they felt they'd done nothing wrong, it was a retail environment and that it was the customer's responsibility to discern that the signs were not true. The station received a stack of talkback callers, texts and emails along the lines of I was confused whether I was listening to a spokesman from Woolworths or a spokesman from Essendon Football Club.

Damage. An impression so strong in the wider community that EFC = untruthful weasels that it can be used as a joke commenting on another subject. And everyone who hears it understands it.

Internal strength is important. But it's not as important as external relationships with other Clubs, the AFL, the broader football audience and the general community.
That was Coles, not Woolworths.

When did he say "I do know what James will do when his suspension is over"?
He was asked. He answered he wasn't going to talk about it. He was asked if he was going to talk to Hirdy when he got back. He, again, said he wasn't going to talk about it.

He was asked. He answered he wasn't going to talk about it. He was asked if he was going to talk to Hirdy when he got back. He, again, said he wasn't going to talk about it.

I was under the impression that he said he would talk to Hird when he got back and that he hadn't talked to Hird yet. At least that's what the papers quoting him are saying. Now in his defence, you are right based off those quotes that is not to say the club hasn't told him the plan from "5 months ago".

I think (smart arseing aside) he may said on 360 he wasn't sure what Hird would do.

I was under the impression that he said he would talk to Hird when he got back and that he hadn't talked to Hird yet. At least that's what the papers quoting him are saying.
He'd talk to Hird. Of course he will. He never said "I'll talk to Hirdy and work out what he's doing when he gets back to the club". That was assumed by the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back