Autopsy Hawks vs Buddy Boy and the COLA kids

Remove this Banner Ad

The key and only point that matters in the end is that the AFL actually allow there to be a review system in place without high resolution camera capable of crystal clear slow motion. If you don't have the appropriate tools to manage something appropriately, don't implement it. It's an absolute indictment on the league as a professional business that it is being used in it's current form.

Just to clarify my position on last nights incident, I believe the correct outcome was awarded. Obviously I believe the review system shouldn't be in effect, so disregarding it's existence would result in the umpires original call. Every year prior to the implementation of the review system it would have been deemed a goal, no matter how much Gibson argues. It always needed to be an obvious deflection to be called touched and that was not obvious.

All this s**t system does is give supporters another facet to be aggrieved about.

Credit to Schoey for the way he played last night. Tippett looked like he might dominate early but Schoey really kept him honest. Also prevented quite a few certain goals with his composure and goal line spoiling.

Personally I still think its a worry.....we know we're going to have ebbs and flows through matches, At our lowest ebb Tippet looked on the verge of ripping the game apart...it was a fine line.
I thought the game still showed why Lake is so so important to our premiership aspirations, because when they have a run on, Lake is the more equipped to win more of those contests one out. Which may possibly be the difference in the game.
Its quite simple when they have a run on restrict as much as possible, when its our turn make it count on the scoreboard.

Personally I still think its a worry.....we know we're going to have ebbs and flows through matches, At our lowest ebb Tippet looked on the verge of ripping the game apart...it was a fine line.
I thought the game still showed why Lake is so so important to our premiership aspirations, because when they have a run on, Lake is the more equipped to win more of those contests. Which may possibly be the difference in the game.

Yep, Lake and Spangher seem to back themselves to take the cut-out mark and then mostly play on quickly while all the opposition forwards are still running towards goal.

Were the Hawks just taking the piss?

Score was Hawks 104, $wan$ 94

Take 9.8% off our score (10.2, rounded down to 10) we get 94 too!!

Surely the AFL will scale our score down so the swines at least get a draw.

Schoey is long term and short term a worry, he continently looks for the body rather than worrying about the footy. On another night Tippet kicks those that he misses and the 2 goals turn into 4-5 and we get rolled HOWEVER.... To the guys credit, in the 2nd half he improved 10 fold, he spoiled well and was clear in his decision making. A clear step forward for him in the 2nd half, the negative is that Schoey needs another 3-4 steps forward to be a reliable defender.

It will be brilliant to get Lakey back against the Dees, he can go and man Dawes and get some match fitness in prep for Freo/Geel and Collongwood. We need Lakey to be up and about and on his game against Hawkins, literally we stop him and we brain the handbaggers.

Schoey is long term and short term a worry, he continently looks for the body rather than worrying about the footy. On another night Tippet kicks those that he misses and the 2 goals turn into 4-5 and we get rolled HOWEVER.... To the guys credit, in the 2nd half he improved 10 fold, he spoiled well and was clear in his decision making. A clear step forward for him in the 2nd half, the negative is that Schoey needs another 3-4 steps forward to be a reliable defender.

It will be brilliant to get Lakey back against the Dees, he can go and man Dawes and get some match fitness in prep for Freo/Geel and Collongwood. We need Lakey to be up and about and on his game against Hawkins, literally we stop him and we brain the handbaggers.
I'm pretty sure he becomes available for the freo game, not melbourne.

That should show people how important our whole team is. Bring back Hill and Isaac has his best game in 4 weeks. Great win, lifted when we needed to and took our chances. Plenty played well but I was again impressed with Lithers, especially when they had the better of us.

As i said in the match thread on the main board everyone needs to get behind whomever Sydney is playing against as we can't have a COLA team taste success. I think i will hide under a rock next week though as i don't want Essendon or Sydney to win..... so up the draw!.

Sorry but I'll be doing the opposite.... I'll be fully barracking for the bombers and any other team that this over paid COLA, AFL's love child of pretenders, have easily become my most despised side..

Sorry but I'll be doing the opposite.... I'll be fully barracking for the bombers and any other team that this over paid COLA, AFL's love child of pretenders, have easily become my most despised side..

Me too - I'm prepared to whore myself for the benefit of ANY side that is playing against the AFL's spoilt lovechild.
Car'n the bombres!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is worth noting as well that if the ball is kicked 3m to Tippetts advantage in a one on one no one is stopping him marking it. Same applies to Hawkins.

The fact that he also has 7cm and 11kg on him could also be a factor

Yep. I thought he fought on really well. Did some good spoils. Attacked the ball and lead Tippet to it on numerous occasions. Did his job.

Interestingly, I thought Gibbo's lack of match 'poise' was a factor in the first half, seemed to really regain his touch as the match went on too.
Gibbo was well off in the first half, and most of the others as well, but Schoe is the main one copping it. Sigh.

But the swan forwards were also getting good service, we were just a little loose in the middle at that point too.

I think part of the problem also is the fact that the backline has been so disrupted this year, I really hope we manage to get them settled in and working as a unit in the run home. Our defence is at it's best when it is a well oiled machine playing full team defence.

The Tainted Swans v The Scums.. What an interesting game that will be..A draw would be ok .Hope the Scums win, but can't see that happening, with the Tainted Swans with 21 on a SMALL ground.. You can't touch the swans with a fingernail..they get a free..Such a protected team by the AFL..I think Goldspink taught the morons how to umpire..pffttt..:rolleyes:

I'm with you 100%.
If I was a $wan$ supporter I would be with you 109.8%.

Credit to Schoey for the way he played last night. Tippett looked like he might dominate early but Schoey really kept him honest. Also prevented quite a few certain goals with his composure and goal line spoiling.

Lets be realistic here guys, not that im putting Schoey down in any way, but he will never make it as Key defender we've all seen enough by know to realise that, so has the club and that's way they were grooming him to play up forward but hasn't had the opportunity to do so this year through our injuries...
When any of the two of Spangher or Lake come back in, if there's no position for Schoey up forward he will be dropped to BHH to help them win their second flag back to back playing up forward..

Huge shout out to Big Boy. Thought he was fantastic. Shouldered the ruck after Cegs was subbed. Gave us a big advantage around the clearances and clunked some telling marks in the last.

Aside from the win, the night was capped off brilliantly with the post match interview with Cyril speaking about a return for either the Cats or Pies game.

So many great moments:
- Puopolo's goals - both were brilliant.
- roughy's first goal, and his fourth, both awesome
- smith out running Jetta (replay that 10,000 times) before kicking a goal
- Breust's mark where he was tackled mid air and slammed into the turf without penalty (yet teddy gets 50m for walking into Gunston's shoulder)
- Goodes mark not being paid
- Lewis' first quarter - was taking his time to nail some really sweet kicks into the corridor.
- litherland keeping the ball in, dancing around a swan and delivering to the goal square, resulted in a goal.
- the Lewis torp that Puopolo ran into a goal
- the big tackle from Puopolo that resulted in a goal.
- Burgoyne intercept mark goal.
- the handball gameplan early on had them very confused. We didn't convert unfortunately but as far as opening up goes we did it so so well.
- Gibbo is a great spoiler but what he brings in with disposal, ball winning and offensive play is often forgotten. Absure weapon.
- Schoey's second half was great - first half quite disappointing.
- I know buddy and Tippet missed a few (haha) but I think the scoreline flattered them. We just needed Gunston to fire or some Cyril creativity to make that forward line more efficient and it would have looked very different.
- Roughy once again kicked more goals than buddy in a hawks/swans clash.

Concerns:
We had long periods in the 2nd and 4th quarters where we were successfully keeping it n our forward line but not being able to kick goals. This happened against north as well - Rioli might help a bit with this.

Buddy is awesome. Anyone who can make Gibbo look second rate in a contest is an absolute gun.

Laidler/Rampe taking so many marks in our forward 50. With Gunston having no impact (being shepherded out of every marking contest) we looked impotent at times

Ceglar unfortunately had a quiet one. He's allowed to after a decent few weeks but Hale might see it as an opportunity.

Goodes was benefiting a lot from cherry picking. Litherland would run up the ground to make play and Goodes would stay back rather than chase. Turnovers meant he got the ball in space.

The defensive structure in the first quarter was odd. A couple of times buddy was on his own, or it was 2 on 1 in Sydney's favour. How does this happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back