Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see ROK wind up at GWS or Melbourne.. Luke Power was given a chance at GWS as an assistant coach also, so seeing ROK go there or even Melbourne would do either team some good. Hopefully he plays on next year and cracks up the 300.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-16/okeefe-bids-scg-farewell

The whole situation just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be completely honest. I know Pebbles is a good player and if anyone deserves a "last chance" before they retire it's one of our champions. He must just be sitting there thinking "heck, I can put more defensive pressure on than Goodes, what have I done wrong?"... The issue is Goodes doesn't necessarily have a like for like replacement like poor Roky does. Shame.

He's served the club for 286 games and 15 years, and is being treated like a stale dog turd. How the **** do you expect him to feel?!

Look at the adulation LRT is getting, then compare his career with O'Keefe's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah of course. Club comes first every time for me. I actually think the club has made the right call.

IF they'd told him he would struggle to be best 22 at the start of the year &/or when he re signed then it's on him to maintain the level required to stay above those hot on his heels. He lost form and lost his spot and hasn't been able to regain the form required to reclaim it.

Just very sad and wanted the fairytale ending for him which hasn't happened. I don't want to see some of the club greats like ROK or LRT retire in the 2s. I want them to retire standing on the podium on GF day with one more medal. It's just a shame his pace and form couldn't stand up against the younger guys that took his spot. Great for the club going forward, competition for spots always is, massive shame for Roky. Would have loved to have given him the chance to leave the game like a champion player deserves.

He was told at the start of the year he wouldn't get many games by the club. He can't turn around now and complain about his treatment even though it I don't view it as him complaining just sad at not getting a farewell game which he still might get.

But to be frank I don't think he has got the LRT treatment because the club believes he might be needed in the coming weeks and that has rung true today plus he also hasn't retired, just stated he won't be at the club next year.

Honestly I was against him getting a farewell game. But with Kennedy's injury today, he might be able to get a farewell game against Richmond. Either replacing Kennedy or for another player rested before finals.

He was told at the end of last year he was no longer best 22

I don't think that's true, otherwise he might have had a look at his options about whether or not to leave then.

Based on what we know, O'Keefe was noticeably sluggish (his stats is a good indication) and considering the club had a shocking start to the season he was one of the first ones out. Lloyd came in and performed well and it seems Longmire has taken to the idea to rotate some younger players through the team. Membrey, Towers, Jones and Lloyd have all debuted, Cunninham has been a staple in our 22 whilst B.Jack and Biggs have featured at various stages.

Give him the vest against the tigers, surely we could do that, it can't end like this after so many years.

He's served the club for 286 games and 15 years, and is being treated like a stale dog turd. How the **** do you expect him to feel?!

Look at the adulation LRT is getting, then compare his career with O'Keefe's.

How was he treated poorly?

There is no farewell game for the sake of a farewell game at the Swans.

If he is the next best available solution to a problem then so be it but to sacrifice on field performance so that a player can say 'goodbye' doesn't sit with me. Nothing against RoK, I love him and admire everything that he's been able to provide the club with but sorry we're in the business of winning games of football not writing fairytales.

Also, don't forget he wanted to leave the Swans for Hawthorn years ago. I'd say the way he's been treated at the club has been pretty ****en good.

Also why would we give a farewell match to a player who is yet to retire and still available for selection?

I know he won't be with us next season but there is still a chance he could play senior football past this weekend

I think we should bring him in not because of a farewell game but because if Bird and Kennedy miss, Mitchell and O'Keefe are basically like-for-like.

Also why would we give a farewell match to a player who is yet to retire and still available for selection?

I know he won't be with us next season but there is still a chance he could play senior football past this weekend

That's the thing! A poster mentioned above comparing the LRT sendoff and how the clubs been treating ROK. I'm sure if ROK came out and actually stated I'm retiring from AFL football he'd be given the exact same treatment. But he hasn't, he hasn't told anyone officially what he's doing, so what are we supposed to do? If he calls it quits I'm sure he gets the lap around ANZ or whatever but if he intends on moving to another club then that's it, surely were not expecting to farewell a player with a lap around the oval when they're off to one of our direct competitors next year. **** that.

That's the thing! A poster mentioned above comparing the LRT sendoff and how the clubs been treating ROK. I'm sure if ROK came out and actually stated I'm retiring from AFL football he'd be given the exact same treatment. But he hasn't, he hasn't told anyone officially what he's doing, so what are we supposed to do? If he calls it quits I'm sure he gets the lap around ANZ or whatever but if he intends on moving to another club then that's it, surely were not expecting to farewell a player with a lap around the oval when they're off to one of our direct competitors next year. **** that.
He wants to play next year. Said that a fair few times this year. He just isn't best 22 for us anymore. If he retires he will get a lap at ANZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back