Cronulla Sharks players accept doping bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon essentially are absolutely cornered now. They have had the opportunity to receive bans which we know won't happen then ASADA are able to go totally hard on them if they issue infractions to the players.

Can swap Paul Gallens name with Jobe Watson. Jobe was a good average player, one paced with limited skills. from 2010-11 his form spiked and he found new pace and a increase in endurance....wonder how ?

Watson became elite in 2008.

It was his kicking that held him back prior as he was already an endurance machine from 2006 onwards.

But meh, what are facts?

Can swap Paul Gallens name with Jobe Watson. Jobe was a good average player, one paced with limited skills. from 2010-11 his form spiked and he found new pace and a increase in endurance....wonder how ?

Jobe Watson won the Essendon B+F in 2009 and 2010. Was second in 2006 and 4th in 2008. Other than a massive 2012 there is no difference between his performances between 2006 and 2013.

And Paul Gallen didn't suddenly become good in his late 20s. In 2005, while still 23, he finished number 1 in the NRL for metres gained and was a nominee for Lock of the Year. He is playing for NSW at 24.

A pity Saad didn't get the same leniency, ASADA even tried to appeal his 18 month ban to get it extended to 2 years, all for taking a protein shake containing a substance that was only banned on game day.

The old safety in numbers theory has never been more true, absolute joke of a system.
Yeah this is the bit that confuses me.

It was his kicking that held him back prior as he was already an endurance machine from 2006 onwards.

But meh, what are facts?

Agree, I have seen the diploma on his wall celebrating his acceptance to the Luke Darcy Memorial Club of Elite Footballers.

Jobe Watson won the Essendon B+F in 2009 and 2010. Was second in 2006 and 4th in 2008. Other than a massive 2012 there is no difference between his performances between 2006 and 2013.

And Paul Gallen didn't suddenly become good in his late 20s. In 2005, while still 23, he finished number 1 in the NRL for metres gained and was a nominee for Lock of the Year. He is playing for NSW at 24.

Translation for most of these **** comments: "I never heard of this guy until recently and now hes the NSW captain - obviosuly roids!11"

Shananananana knees knees
Whoa oh oh oh
Welcome to the jungle baby
And we're gonna bring you down
Huh....
Thought it was apt,given all this latest BS circling our 2 codes.
I get the feeling 'WE' will never find out what really happened because,to protect the sanctity of those involved is more important than the crimes committed and the justification of penalty.
Jeez,it's a ******* glorious day in old Melbourne town though today!!.
Get out amongst it!.
Off for a beer and a feed with some friends.......:):rainbow:

But meh, what are facts?

lol Watson was elite in 08 :rolleyes:

The guy could not kick and hit a barn door 5 times out of 10. All I am saying, it was amazing that in 2011 his skills, endurance, and his ability to recover from injuries were now elite. Also his pace exploded. Before 2011 he was considered one pace, now the guy was able to bursts from packs in which he never did before...anyway, it will be shown, who is right if he gets a infraction notice :)

Doesn't auger well for Essendon players. ASADA aren't going after these players if they know they can't win. Essendon must be shitting themselves now knowing that it's better to concede rather than face the full consequences.

This court case is make or break for them.

The court case is a side show.

Everyone knows that.

They are cooked, they are after Albert more than anyone and will get him.

But the players took the drugs so they have to pay, its that simple.

Doesn't matter how, they accepted to have needles stuck into there guts, and even stupidly signed waivers.

So they must get a suspension like it or not.

Once one single player admits guilt, the whole house of cards falls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol Watson was elite in 08 :rolleyes:

The guy could not kick and hit a barn door 5 times out of 10. All I am saying, it was amazing that in 2011 his skills, endurance, and his ability to recover from injuries were now elite. Also his pace exploded. Before 2011 he was considered one pace, now the guy was able to bursts from packs in which he never did before...anyway, it will be shown, who is right if he gets a infraction notice :)
Watson won our Best and Fairest in 2009...

Speaking of amazing coincidences, in the year before Richmond favourite son Justin Charles was caught PED cheating, Matthew Richardson kicked 91 goals. Before and since then, he hasn't kicked more than 67 in a season... a difference of 24 goals, in a year where Richmond had a PED abuser in their locker room... amazing.

Last edited:
The court case is a side show.

Everyone knows that.

They are cooked, they are after Albert more than anyone and will get him.

But the players took the drugs so they have to pay, its that simple.

Doesn't matter how, they accepted to have needles stuck into there guts, and even stupidly signed waivers.

So they must get a suspension like it or not.

Once one single player admits guilt, the whole house of cards falls.
They are after Dank then Hird I think.

It's interesting to note that the NRL didn't cooperate but upon issue of SC notices they accepted with a minimum of fuss and got a sweetheart deal.

EFC have denied and caused no amount of resistance since the SC notices and I bet the sweetheart deal might not be so sweet.

I'm sure the circumstances of the NRL players recieving drugs due to ignorance is not that much different from what happened at needleland

But meh, what are facts?

His greatest achivement in 2008 was 8th in handballs, to go along with his 5 brownlow votes. How was he elite?

Not trying to pick a knuckle here eiether, just not sure if he was elite back then.

Unfortunately for Saad, that is what happens when you have a positive test and also can't contest a no fault penalty.

The main difference is that an individual like Saad is expendable and it's easy for ASADA and WADA to make an example of them, a team full of players like Cronulla and Essendon isn't so easily expendable as it will disrupt the NRL and AFL competitions.

The actual level of seriousness in terms of doping or drug cheating seems to be irrelevant to the penalties handed out, you can dope yourself to the gills with all manner of banned drugs so long as you do it in a team environment but if you so much as take a protein shake or a flu tablet by yourself then ASADA and WADA will come down on you like a ton of bricks with a 2 year ban.

This whole saga has exposed ASADA and WADA's policies for the sham that they are.

The main difference is that an individual like Saad is expendable and it's easy for ASADA and WADA to make an example of them, a team full of players like Cronulla and Essendon isn't so easily expendable as it will disrupt the NRL and AFL competitions.

The actual level of seriousness in terms of doping or drug cheating seems to be irrelevant to the penalties handed out, you can dope yourself to the gills with all manner of banned drugs so long as you do it in a team environment but if you so much as take a protein shake or a flu tablet by yourself then ASADA and WADA will come down on you like a ton of bricks with a 2 year ban.

This whole saga has exposed ASADA and WADA's policies for the sham that they are.

It has exposed that ASADA & WADA are not appropriately set up for team based doping violations, yes.

Watson won our Best and Fairest in 2009...

Speaking of amazing coincidences, in the year before Richmond favourite son Justin Charles was caught PED cheating, Matthew Richardson kicked 91 goals. Before and since then, he hasn't kicked more than 67 in a season... a difference of 24 goals, in a year where Richmond had a PED abuser in their locker room... amazing.

Love that old chestunt but you always ignore that Charles did the wrong thing to recover from a degenerative hip, not performance. Was caught and punished. He did not lie about it, he did not go to court, he did not lose the records etc etc. That is why he was only suspended for 16 weeks not 2 years. he could prove the use was to enhance recovery and nothing else. In saying that, none at richmond condoned it and put systems in place to assure it never happened again.

To try to say Matthew Richardson was on the PEDS is laughable and very Hird like lol

Jobe winning the 09 BnF says nothing as Essendons list was beyond average. Unfortunately your captain while knowing he was taking AOD and many other injections happily took the brownlow, speaks tons about the bloke imo. Unfortunately, its up to the courts to decide if he and Heppell and co are drug cheats..guess we will see.

I at least I know I am in a good place :)

Not sure if this is addressed, but I would assume that if the players agree to penalties that are backdated, they would have to return all income earned during this period.

If the penalty was to start tomorrow they aren't allowed to derive any income from their sport going forward, so I assume the same principle applies to backdated penalties. Of course this might open the club up to litigation - but that would be a seperate legal proceeding.

Love that old chestunt but you always ignore that Charles did the wrong thing to recover from a degenerative hip, not performance. Was caught and punished. He did not lie about it, he did not go to court, he did not lose the records etc etc. That is why he was only suspended for 16 weeks not 2 years. he could prove the use was to enhance recovery and nothing else. In saying that, none at richmond condoned it and put systems in place to assure it never happened again.
I'm not even being serious when I talk about Richo and Charles... I use it to show the ludicrasy of people like you, who think that because Jobe went from a s**t kick to an above average kick 6 years ago, he was somehow on the PEDs before Stephen Dank had even heard of Essendon. Maybe Jobe is a dedicated trainer who knew his career would be over unless he shaped up and got himself physically fit through tireless hard work?

Jobe winning the 09 BnF says nothing as Essendons list was beyond average.
We played finals that year... where'd Richmond finish?

To try to say Matthew Richardson was on the PEDS is laughable and very Hird like lol

Jobe winning the 09 BnF says nothing as Essendons list was beyond average. Unfortunately your captain while knowing he was taking AOD and many other injections happily took the brownlow, speaks tons about the bloke imo. Unfortunately, its up to the courts to decide if he and Heppell and co are drug cheats..guess we will see.

I at least I know I am in a good place :)

You're a Richmond supporter - when have you ever been in a good place!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back