News Hawthorn fan racially abuses Heritier Lumumba (and doesn't get thrown out for it).

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder why people don't say go back to Scotland, or Wales or England?

Stating that someone should go back to another country is saying you don't belong here, you're an unwanted interloper. You're not part of (white) society. It's bullying and as with all bullies they are weak and pick the low lying fruit. Gutless scum.

Perhaps I should have said that he is of African heritage which is what I meant. To imply that I was suggesting anything racist is ridiculous. Perhaps you should dismount your pure white steed, put aside your shining white armour and allow yourself a bit of R&R time.

Who's the one getting all high and mighty?

If standing up for decency and respect rather than wallowing in the swamp is a bad thing, call me Mr Bad.

Stating that someone should go back to another country is saying you don't belong here, you're an unwanted interloper. You're not part of (white) society. It's bullying and as with all bullies they are weak and pick the low lying fruit. Gutless scum.
Agree with the old spice man.

The Lovely Elizabeth would approve.
She was gold. Miss Elizabeth. Remember the match where hulk hogan and macho man are getting the crap kicked out of them by andre the giant so she takes her skirt off to distract him then they beat the crap out of him and win? Gold.

No they call them POMS and thats accepted right? But saying go back to Brazil is not on..

But they did say that kind of thing. Are you too young to know about the whinging poms and the suggestion that they should jump a ship, as they did to come out here, and head back home? Many countries have their whipping boys, current and traditional, white and black. I get your point and concede that the remark can be hurtful to perennial scapegoats and hence racist. However, Brazilian immigrants are hardly at the top of the hit list of undesirable Australian citizens. It's a throwaway line, hardly worth being ejected from the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying people only say go home to Brazil and not England and seeing that as racist shows the negative thought YOU have towards Brazil... (I would rather go to Brazil than England personally.)

Give me a break. Who says go back to England you flog?
English cricket fans when their team tours Australia?:p:drunk:

Seriously though can't believe this has turned into a debate about whether what was said was racist or even abusive, it was both, simple.

But they did say that kind of thing. Are you too young to know about the whinging poms and the suggestion that they should jump a ship, as they did to come out here, and head back home? Many countries have their whipping boys, current and traditional, white and black. I get your point and concede that the remark can be hurtful to perennial scapegoats and hence racist. However, Brazilian immigrants are hardly at the top of the hit list of undesirable Australian citizens. It's a throwaway line, hardly worth being ejected from the ground.

I'm 42 so yes I know about the 'whinging pom' shtick. Beside the fact that Australians are world champion whingers themselves, the point is that no-one will say to anyone of British heritage in the AFL to go back to their country. The reason why is because it can't hurt that player because this country does not have a history of pillorying white people because it is dominated by English speaking white people. I mean you must be in cloud cuckoo land if you think otherwise.

On Poms, I remember watching Paul Hogan in the 70s and I remember the skit about Poms where Paul Hogan is talking about wogs and an English guy asks him what Pom means and Hogan says it is an acronym for Preferred Old Mates.

My dad was born in Scotland and never had one issue related to his country of birth and slotted in like a hand in a glove. No-one would ever say go back to Scotland because it's just meaningless where the whole country is dominated by people from Britain.

I'm 42 so yes I know about the 'whinging pom' shtick. Beside the fact that Australians are world champion whingers themselves, the point is that no-one will say to anyone of British heritage in the AFL to go back to their country. The reason why is because it can't hurt that player because this country does not have a history of pillorying white people because it is dominated by English speaking white people. I mean you must be in cloud cuckoo land if you think otherwise.

On Poms, I remember watching Paul Hogan in the 70s and I remember the skit about Poms where Paul Hogan is talking about wogs and an English guy asks him what Pom means and Hogan says it is an acronym for Preferred Old Mates.

My dad was born in Scotland and never had one issue related to his country of birth and slotted in like a hand in a glove.
I lived in an English colonial area as a child and was bullied on my return here because of my English accent despite being Australian born. The Greeks and Italians were the next group subject to abuse. To suggest that only people of dark skinned people are ever targeted, or that POM was a term of affection in the 50's and 60's, is untrue.

So telling someone to back to England isn't racist but telling someone to go back to Brazil is? Because you think England is a better country? Or a different reason? How about telling karnezis to back to Greece, would that be considered the same as Brazil or England.. Or somewhere in between?? Could you please clear it up for me

I lived in an English colonial area as a child and was bullied on my return here because of my English accent despite being Australian born. The Greeks and Italians were the next group subject to abuse. To suggest that only people of dark skinned people are ever targeted, or that POM was a term of affection in the 50's and 60's, is untrue.

So you enjoyed that and recommend it?

So telling someone to back to England isn't racist but telling someone to go back to Brazil is? Because you think England is a better country? Or a different reason? How about telling karnezis to back to Greece, would that be considered the same as Brazil or England.. Or somewhere in between?? Could you please clear it up for me

If someone did say to Karnezis to go back to Greece that would absolutely be racist and deserving of a punch on the nose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back