Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

We should all castigate freo for not wearing green, by some of the logic above.

Collingwood owns B&W as much as Melbourne FC owns the game of AFL, that is to say, not all.
Prior to entering the AFL, the PA football club were told the Black and White stripes were taken and that they would require a new jumper and colour combination, they agreed to this.
We don't want the bars as our main jumper. We all love the chevrons.

We just want to be able to use the bars occasionally for special occasions without having to grovel to Eddiewood and the AFL. One a year at the very most. Make it a special occasion.

Nekminnit the Power will be wanting to call themselves the Magpies for that "special occasion", you know, because heritage and all that.

Eff me, you are the Power and you wear Teal (hehe)

We should still be playing at least one prelim final at the mcg then, rules, contracts change.

It's petty of Collingwood to insist another club cannot wear black & white because it's really the VFL- which is essentially their argument no?

Especially petty when one considers that Port is older & by some measures the more successful club.

My take as a proud South Australian.

Prior to entering the AFL, the PA football club were told the Black and White stripes were taken and that they would require a new jumper and colour combination, they agreed to this.

Nekminnit the Power will be wanting to call themselves the Magpies for that "special occasion", you know, because heritage and all that.

And Dermott Brereton retired as a Collingwood player, and therefore all his history as a Hawthorn player is null and void to all of us because he agreed to change clubs and be defined as a Pie.

He can say and celebrate whatever he wants to personally but in AFL terms he cannot claim to be a Hawk because he signed a contract to voluntarily changed into a Pie.

Thanks for the clarification.

#amidoingthisright

I don't think you would find a single Port Adelaide AFL fan that would want the side to be called the Magpies. The jumper is far more special than any moniker.

And Dermott Brereton retired as a Collingwood player, and therefore all his history as a Hawthorn player is null and void to all of us because he agreed to change clubs and be defined as a Pie.

He can say and celebrate whatever he wants to personally but in AFL terms he cannot claim to be a Hawk because he signed a contract to voluntarily changed into a Pie.

Thanks for the clarification.

#amidoingthisright

Dermie – one of the greatest Collingwood centre half-forwards of all time :cool:

I for one think the "prison bars" jumper a much better looking one than the Collingwood one ( maybe thats the real reason Eddie dosent want Port to wear it!)and I dont think Im on my own.I dont see why they cant wear it when not playing Collingwood.FFS most clubs have about half a dozen jumpers they wear anyway.

Remember when Collingwood thought that Port's guernsey was so good, they tried to copy it.

images

Remember when Collingwood thought that Port's guernsey was so good, they tried to copy it.

images
Eddie "We've never changed our guernsey" McGuire.

Do the Kangas still have to ask the Pies which jumper they wear when they play each other, or have the Pies agreed they can now dress themselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well might not be the prefered option but at least you have the prison bars

Despite what you may have heard or gathered, the vast, vast majority of Port supporters' number one preference is to wear our current home and clash guernseys normally, and break out the prison bars once every few years for heritage rounds and other special occasions.

I'm not saying that outliers don't exist, just that they don't exist in significant enough numbers for this to be a point of controversy.

I know you guys have changed your brown to as dark as possible recently to make your colours half decent, but the port kit looks good, has done for 100+ years, and the fans love it

Why should they change it to appease a club they will never play against in it?

No one confuses it for the Pies

No one will forget the Pies

The only people who think this is an issue are Eddie and the few remaining Eddiephiles still in the club

Then why don't you wear Collingwood's guernsey? Wrong colours but at least you have the stripes, right?

Despite what you may have heard or gathered, the vast, vast majority of Port supporters' number one preference is to wear our current home and clash guernseys normally, and break out the prison bars once every few years for heritage rounds and other special occasions.

I'm not saying that outliers don't exist, just that they don't exist in significant enough numbers for this to be a point of controversy.
fair enough, personally i love ports current back in black jumper but I just thought that was a option that might keep port fans happy while keeping collingwood off your back
I know you guys have changed your brown to as dark as possible recently to make your colours half decent, but the port kit looks good, has done for 100+ years, and the fans love it

Why should they change it to appease a club they will never play against in it?

No one confuses it for the Pies

No one will forget the Pies

The only people who think this is an issue are Eddie and the few remaining Eddiephiles still in the club
yeah i agree they should be able to wear it at the very least once a year, i was just thinking outside the box for a more permanent solution that would keep collingwood of PA's back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back