NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hah thanks for the invite but I'm going to save up for the AFL GF (if we make it)

Grim

Book your flight for both - We will have a more less hostile climate for you than that at the "G" up here and I guess 1 out two ain't to bad - Well that's my way of thinking any way, Whichever the result and may the best side win!!!!!!, Thanks from an AFL & NEAFL supporter for being true to your team and to them, thanks to your team for having a crack at what the NEAFL was set up for. I am not saying that the other AFL sides have not been fair dink um this year (unlike the appalling comments coming from the NT Press this weekend - prior to the game today - I wonder which rock this idiot is hiding under?) But the Swans have been true to the Competition again and again they are in another G/F, but this time up against a true (in reality) team of top ups, who have been picked and given a meager remuneration (where possible) to train 3 nights a week after putting in a full days employment, with some even working 4 hours or more on Saturday before each home game to put some bread on the table for the family, these guys as among the best AFL footy players in their region of Qld.

This again I say is now thanks to the credibility of the Swans and the other AFL Reserve sides (when they get the message) that now actually keeps our kids at home to play in an ever increasing and evolving 2nd tier competition The NEAFL, without having to uproot their live's to strive to play against the best players they can, to the absolute limit of their ability.

On another tangent.

In actual fact just doing the math IMO kids who can play football who are going through an apprenticeship would be close to telling the clubs to get real with their offer as a rookie, in the building game a 20 year old 3rd year apprentice plumber would be earning about $70k a year including overtime, even with say $200.00 a game at the NEAFL Level, that is serious coin, only an unemployed rookie would think it a dream to be picked up and then play in an 2nd tier comp - The numbers might have to represent the dream in the future, as the gloss of working as an AFL Rookie looks pretty shitty compared to being a an apprentice Plumber say????

On again another tangent ( I have been driving all day and have been thinking better is best).

Thanks to the Swans for standing Strong - If this pricks a nerve of the 3 other AFL Reserve sides and the body of the AFL, who may I add we pay to be sitting in their glass offices at Edihad - Then hopefully they grow up and get stronger real soon - Be true to your supporters and to the GAME. We as AFL Football Supporters demand this and you losers are now on notice - I say - Drop the funds for non listed players and also players who could be classed as gift picks, that don't match up to at least the NEAFL Competition if they don't get Fair Dinkum!!!!!!!!!!!!! To be selected in an AFL Team is a privilege not a rite of passage - If you don't stack up and at least show your wares in a second tier level competition - Then it should be on your bike and give another deserving kid a go - There are plenty out there with the dream - They just need the chance, the opportunity and the belief afforded to too many duds!!!!!

Shouldn't the Swans have hosted the Grand Final considering they finished higher on the ladder? If this comp was fair dinkum (which it is not) then the GF would definitely have been played in Sydney due them finishing higher.

Congrats to Aspley for making the Grand Final. It just goes to show that if you can get yourself to the end of the season and into finals then anything can happen. They were always going to beat GWS who simply put the queue in the rack once their senior side finished their season. Their entire playing list was celebrating mad Monday this time last week so it is no surprise that they fielded so many top ups. I think they may have had 10 listed players at best which is a stain on this entire competition that they treated it with a complete lack of respect.

Yes yes, I know that Aspley supporters will claim that their entire side is made up of top ups but that is misleading. Aspley train and play together every single week and are a club. GWS use up the local players (and treat them poorly) when it suits them. Many of these kids in NSW / ACT are not up to the NEAFL level and wouldn't be getting a game on any of the other NEAFL lists let alone being part of a NEAFL finals campaign.

Take nothing away from Aspley though. You can only play the opposition that turns up on the day. I'm actually pretty happy that a non AFL club has made the GF and I hope that they win it. This will then show the rest that it is a possibility in this new comp.

It was 12 listed players, we were restricted to 15 in any event because we were playing a non-AFL side. Maybe we would have had Gilham (retired) or Boyd (late withdrawal) on the field. At least three of those who would have been out there watched the game on crutches.

Still no excuse for their game on Saturday and should not detract from Aspley's performance.

Shouldn't the Swans have hosted the Grand Final considering they finished higher on the ladder? If this comp was fair dinkum (which it is not) then the GF would definitely have been played in Sydney due them finishing higher.

Congrats to Aspley for making the Grand Final. It just goes to show that if you can get yourself to the end of the season and into finals then anything can happen. They were always going to beat GWS who simply put the queue in the rack once their senior side finished their season. Their entire playing list was celebrating mad Monday this time last week so it is no surprise that they fielded so many top ups. I think they may have had 10 listed players at best which is a stain on this entire competition that they treated it with a complete lack of respect.

Yes yes, I know that Aspley supporters will claim that their entire side is made up of top ups but that is misleading. Aspley train and play together every single week and are a club. GWS use up the local players (and treat them poorly) when it suits them. Many of these kids in NSW / ACT are not up to the NEAFL level and wouldn't be getting a game on any of the other NEAFL lists let alone being part of a NEAFL finals campaign.

Take nothing away from Aspley though. You can only play the opposition that turns up on the day. I'm actually pretty happy that a non AFL club has made the GF and I hope that they win it. This will then show the rest that it is a possibility in this new comp.

Chook27,

Thanks for your kind words regarding the Hornets - Lets hope last year's disappointment of being second spur the boys on to get the chocolates this year.

I don't think the Giants queue went into the rack until after half time - It was a shoot out up until this time - Aspley showed that they were not going to lay down and then it all got a little to hard for the Giants to keep fighting (possibly Mad Monday Catch up), I get back to the quality of the young listed and rookie players that are picked up by the NEAFL affiliated AFL clubs (This does not include the top ups as we know how these kids get treated by all). In most cases to many of these listed and rookies are not yet up to playing competitive football against the ever improving state NEAFL sides, who will continue to improve their lists as each year progresses. Maybe the rules should be changed to increase the listed numbers to compensate for this in the future.

As the AFL has increased the standard of the NEAFL competition, IMO It is time that the recruiter's for these sides start earning their money and recruit kids that can in the least play at a NEAFL Level - There are plenty of these kids playing in this competition from all of the Eastern and Northern States and Territories that don't rate for some reason - Most State under 18 players are not ready made AFL Players but if you can't handle the NEAFL Comp then they certainly will not get to the Big Dance.

Chook27,

Thanks for your kind words regarding the Hornets - Lets hope last year's disappointment of being second spur the boys on to get the chocolates this year.

I don't think the Giants queue went into the rack until after half time - It was a shoot out up until this time - Aspley showed that they were not going to lay down and then it all got a little to hard for the Giants to keep fighting (possibly Mad Monday Catch up), I get back to the quality of the young listed and rookie players that are picked up by the NEAFL affiliated AFL clubs (This does not include the top ups as we know how these kids get treated by all). In most cases to many of these listed and rookies are not yet up to playing competitive football against the ever improving state NEAFL sides, who will continue to improve their lists as each year progresses. Maybe the rules should be changed to increase the listed numbers to compensate for this in the future.

As the AFL has increased the standard of the NEAFL competition, IMO It is time that the recruiter's for these sides start earning their money and recruit kids that can in the least play at a NEAFL Level - There are plenty of these kids playing in this competition from all of the Eastern and Northern States and Territories that don't rate for some reason - Most State under 18 players are not ready made AFL Players but if you can't handle the NEAFL Comp then they certainly will not get to the Big Dance.

Billy Bunter,
can you help me in reference to where I can park my car at this weekends GF, if I arrive say an hour before the game?

Billy Bunter,
can you help me in reference to where I can park my car at this weekends GF, if I arrive say an hour before the game?

Hopefully at Chermside S/C not that we don't want you there stuyd1, I just hope that that is the only area left for you to park in, I hope the street parking is full from Chermside to Graham Road, I also hope that the true AFL footy lovers of Brisbane appreciate what the the club and the Hornet boys have done this year, after a big let down last year in going down to the Lions at Yeronga, I think that under John Blair and his level headed approach to the game - The Hornets have got some serious unfinished business left to do in 2014.

Whether that business is good enough to get over the well coached and a very good side in the Swan's Reserves, time will only tell???

Therefore I hope that a real Grand final crowd turns up to this one on Saturday - If a Boxing Promoter was to advertise this one it should go something like this below.

The original Sydney NSW - AFL reserve NEAFL side, the Sydney Swan's from the greater Sydney City region Verses the Brisbane suburbs back yard Newest AFLQ evolved - NEAFL side, the Aspley Hornets from North of the Brisbane River region. To Face it off in

"THE GRAHAM ROAD NEAFL GRAND FINAL RUMBLE"

Bring an open mind and all of your support for the side of your choice but bring it, and let the boys from North and South in turn "BRING IT ON" for you - There will be no losers on the day, but one side will be no doubt celebrating and one side no doubt disappointed and wondering what could have been, be there or be square as this will be the biggest day that Aspley, Brisbane North and all AFL football supporters may ever get to see so far North of the Brisbane River.

For My Pick - A very much based on form pick - The Bumble Bees by three small stings = 3 points, Go Hornets!!!!!!!

Hopefully at Chermside S/C not that we don't want you there stuyd1, I just hope that that is the only area left for you to park in, I hope the street parking is full from Chermside to Graham Road, I also hope that the true AFL footy lovers of Brisbane appreciate what the the club and the Hornet boys have done this year, after a big let down last year in going down to the Lions at Yeronga, I think that under John Blair and his level headed approach to the game - The Hornets have got some serious unfinished business left to do in 2014.

Whether that business is good enough to get over the well coached and a very good side in the Swan's Reserves, time will only tell???

Therefore I hope that a real Grand final crowd turns up to this one on Saturday - If a Boxing Promoter was to advertise this one it should go something like this below.

The original Sydney NSW - AFL reserve NEAFL side, the Sydney Swan's from the greater Sydney City region Verses the Brisbane suburbs back yard Newest AFLQ evolved - NEAFL side, the Aspley Hornets from North of the Brisbane River region. To Face it off in

"THE GRAHAM ROAD NEAFL GRAND FINAL RUMBLE"

Bring an open mind and all of your support for the side of your choice but bring it, and let the boys from North and South in turn "BRING IT ON" for you - There will be no losers on the day, but one side will be no doubt celebrating and one side no doubt disappointed and wondering what could have been, be there or be square as this will be the biggest day that Aspley, Brisbane North and all AFL football supporters may ever get to see so far North of the Brisbane River.

For My Pick - A very much based on form pick - The Bumble Bees by three small stings = 3 points, Go Hornets!!!!!!!

Billy, thanks for that mate.... I guess I may have to arrive around 11.30 to 12 noon to get a park near the ground,,,, sounds good as I can go and have lunch at the club and put a few bucks thru the pokies.
I sense your excitement for the Hornets,,, don't worry, Ill be supporting them as well. And just to comment, what a fantastic coach is the one John Blair.. truly a legend in QLD footy.

Billy, thanks for that mate.... I guess I may have to arrive around 11.30 to 12 noon to get a park near the ground,,,, sounds good as I can go and have lunch at the club and put a few bucks thru the pokies.
I sense your excitement for the Hornets,,, don't worry, Ill be supporting them as well. And just to comment, what a fantastic coach is the one John Blair.. truly a legend in QLD footy.

Stuyd1,

Not that I am stalking you or anything - But you seem to be a true AFL first and AFL Queensland supporter second, you guys are a rear breed, I have got this through your many posts in all things AFL across the various and many board's on this medium. You are right in your assumption of my excitement, I have not been this excited for such a long time 4 sleeps I think the saying is and counting!!!!!! It is just like Xmas in September.

A few words of wisdom though from and old punter from way back - We would love to have your and anyone else AFL or sports in general's support on Saturday - But leave those poker machines to the blue rinse set, just come out and soak up the Northern Hospitality that the Hornets Club is almost nearly famous for, the warm welcome, the busy in house TAB, the cold drinks, the great food, the even greater AFL Footy atmosphere and OK if you need to get your pokie fix attended too there are plenty of the push button bandits to choose from (mugs game though).

I just hope that like you, all of the the true AFL supporters in Brisbane come out and watch the Under 18's Hornets V the Surfer's Sharks at 10.00am and then the Big Dance of the NEAFL season much awaited and anticipated NEAFL Grand Final with the Aspley Hornets versing the Sydney Swans Reserves at 1.30pm. From the boys and the club - Thanks for your and everybodys attendance and support in advance - It could very well be my shout so lets see you all there.

Stuyd1,

Not that I am stalking you or anything - But you seem to be a true AFL first and AFL Queensland supporter second, you guys are a rear breed, I have got this through your many posts in all things AFL across the various and many board's on this medium. You are right in your assumption of my excitement, I have not been this excited for such a long time 4 sleeps I think the saying is and counting!!!!!! It is just like Xmas in September.

A few words of wisdom though from and old punter from way back - We would love to have your and anyone else AFL or sports in general's support on Saturday - But leave those poker machines to the blue rinse set, just come out and soak up the Northern Hospitality that the Hornets Club is almost nearly famous for, the warm welcome, the busy in house TAB, the cold drinks, the great food, the even greater AFL Footy atmosphere and OK if you need to get your pokie fix attended too there are plenty of the push button bandits to choose from (mugs game though).

I just hope that like you, all of the the true AFL supporters in Brisbane come out and watch the Under 18's Hornets V the Surfer's Sharks at 10.00am and then the Big Dance of the NEAFL season much awaited and anticipated NEAFL Grand Final with the Aspley Hornets versing the Sydney Swans Reserves at 1.30pm. From the boys and the club - Thanks for your and everybodys attendance and support in advance - It could very well be my shout so lets see you all there.

Billybunter,
how was training at the Hornets tonite? did a lot of supporters turn up.?

Billybunter,
how was training at the Hornets tonite? did a lot of supporters turn up.?

Stuyd1,

I Could not make it to training tonite, too much to do at work before Friday night knock off time and then bring on Super Saturday - I will be flat out getting my 2 more nights to go sleep due to my excitement and anticipation - Maybe someone else can give us all a run down on the last night on the track by return on here - I will see you all on Saturday early methinks, as I have a funny feeling that it will be standing room only at the Nest and its surroundings for this this game of games for 2014.!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbf there aren't a huge number of places to sit. :D:)

Btw what is the capacity?
We'll find out tomorrow I guess!! I,d put it at between 1,500 and 2,000.

A 420 seat grand stand has been hired for the day. Unfortunately there are no natural slopes for viewing at the Nest. While there may be a few challenges for the club in hosting the event, the home final will be the biggest day in the club's 50 year history. Let's hope we can focus on the game and atmosphere and accept the venue for what it is: a solid community club.

There'll be a gate on the day. $10, $7 but kids free. Anyone with a Hornets membership card will be free in the day.

Our youth presentation day is on down the road and will finish about noon. Look out for an influx of hundreds of juniors in club colours just before game time. With four league b&f's and two premiership sides, there'll also be a march past prior to the game. Let's hope the 18's play out of their skins in the curtain raiser.

Go you good thing. GO HORNETS!!!!!

To Billy, Hornets Nest and all the Aspley people good luck tomorrow, would like to be there but will be at another important game.Irrespective of the result and don't worry I think you can win, you have achieved an enormous amount in a very short space of time.Coming from outside a state league and bypassing other clubs with your achievements in the NEAFL, Back to back grand finals is the end point but first you have to begin by beating clubs for first ever wins home and away and new clubs kept popping up as the competition kept changing.Aspley also had some finger pointers on this forum but they now lie very quiet and you have everyones respect.

They followed a simple formula, that works for all business but especially football clubs.Put the right people in the right positions, back office and front office.Everything else takes care of itself.

But only 2 players in the Team of the Year???

A 420 seat grand stand has been hired for the day. Unfortunately there are no natural slopes for viewing at the Nest. While there may be a few challenges for the club in hosting the event, the home final will be the biggest day in the club's 50 year history. Let's hope we can focus on the game and atmosphere and accept the venue for what it is: a solid community club.

There'll be a gate on the day. $10, $7 but kids free. Anyone with a Hornets membership card will be free in the day.

Our youth presentation day is on down the road and will finish about noon. Look out for an influx of hundreds of juniors in club colours just before game time. With four league b&f's and two premiership sides, there'll also be a march past prior to the game. Let's hope the 18's play out of their skins in the curtain raiser.

all the best to the Hornets

24 selected, and that seems to include 7 toppies. Grim, are there rookies hidden in there somewhere ?
Naismith and Robinson are the 2 (only need 2 I misquoted).

Dick and Pat Mitchell are emergencies.

Tell me where I'm getting it wrong......
14 listed
3 rookies (X, Mitchell and Robinson)
7 toppies (Doug Hadden, Heeney, Hiscox, Mills, Davis, Dickson and Nick Hey).

I'm sure that you've nailed it and I haven't but I can't see where.

On Saturday I will go to the QAFL Premil. final with Labrador vs Palm Beach...... I reckon there will be some 1000 to 1500 in attendance..and its not a grand final !!But it will draw this sort of crowd because its a local derby on the gold coast.....no travel involved , no Brisbane metro side vs a gold coast side.
As of the GF in the NEAFL on sunday, one would hope there will be 2000 plus in attendance. Over the past 3 grand finals the crowd has been around this figure.I recall some 3 or 4 seasons ago, when the Thunder played Morningside at Redlands there was some 3000 plus there. the Aspley ground could easily hold this sort of crowd,. Only deterrent is the total lack of parking space which is very poor .
Anyway, am looking forward to watching these 2 finals.....
I think Palm Beach will just get over the line but wont beat Morningside in the GF the week after.
As for Aspley vs Swans,,, well this is a hard call.The Swans being brought back to 14 listed players, I reckon Aspley might get up. looking forward to a great game,, lets all get to it.

On Saturday I will go to the QAFL Premil. final with Labrador vs Palm Beach...... I reckon there will be some 1000 to 1500 in attendance..and its not a grand final !!But it will draw this sort of crowd because its a local derby on the gold coast.....no travel involved , no Brisbane metro side vs a gold coast side.
As of the GF in the NEAFL on sunday, one would hope there will be 2000 plus in attendance. Over the past 3 grand finals the crowd has been around this figure.I recall some 3 or 4 seasons ago, when the Thunder played Morningside at Redlands there was some 3000 plus there. the Aspley ground could easily hold this sort of crowd,. Only deterrent is the total lack of parking space which is very poor .
Anyway, am looking forward to watching these 2 finals.....
I think Palm Beach will just get over the line but wont beat Morningside in the GF the week after.
As for Aspley vs Swans,,, well this is a hard call.The Swans being brought back to 14 listed players, I reckon Aspley might get up. looking forward to a great game,, lets all get to it.

As locals, lets all get to the game and support our local QLD team ( Aspley) against the Swans ressies (NSW)... Im sure we would all enjoy a local QLD side win the flag over a AFL backed club.!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back