U2's 13th Album - "Songs of Innocence"

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone explain how they make money through this deal of giving the album away for free on iTunes?

My understanding was that Apple paid U2 for the rights to the whole exclusive free download thing. So whilst the album is given away for free, they still got something in return from the provider.

I guess U2 are also rich enough, with massively successful world tours to this day, to not really care a great deal about album returns.

As a long time U2 fan, I'm surprised I hadn't even heard anything about this. Thanks for the heads up, going to download it now :thumbsu:

Quite the backlash to this 'free' album release it would appear.

"I feel raped by Apple"

"How dare Bono invade my privacy"

"The absolute arrogance makes me sick"...

Just some of the 'commentary' I've seen on my Facebook feed.

Absolute bunch of morons for mind.

Great album....love Every Breaking Wave, and Volcano.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't even know how to get music on my I phone. I know it can be done, but a phone to me is a phone, and to check the web when out.

The giving it away for free doesn't even factor in anything to me. I will just buy the CD as usual. U2 for me is just a must have item.

I can't get enough of "Every Breaking Wave" - Their best song since "Stuck in a moment"

It's not bad but nothing startling. Been a while since they had decent album, Pop would be the last one. The ones since then have had some good individual songs but a lot of dross as well.

Have done that, still shows up in places though such as my alarm when choosing a song to play to wake up to.
Here's an idea for you - don't choose it.

Man, I really wanted to like this album, but honestly nothing really stood out for me. I've only listened to it a couple of times, so who knows, it might grow on me like HTDAAB did after not liking that one much at the start either.

I hated NLOTH, but at least it had this absolute beauty:

Songs 6 - 11 are ******* fantastic.
Like its U2 pushing themselves again.. and it really pays of.
They have def never done a track as wonderful as Sleep like a baby since the 90's.

The first 5 songs are pretty much U2 trying the write the hits..
I agree every breaking wave works but i don't care much for the rest.
Much more cohesive than No Line (which felt like 3 ep's thrown together for an album)

Yeah, on first listen tracks 7-10 instantly stood out to me. Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road in particular, I enjoyed what they were going for in those tracks. It's a cohesive album, but still, there's nothing here really calling me back again and again.

Their best and most complete album for a long time. It ends better than it starts. That in itself is a rarity in an album. Give it 5 listens and it's up there.

Gee imagine it an indie darling put out an album of this quality. They would be the second coming of The Lord.

They will never escape the universal hate Bono seems to generate.

Their best and most complete album for a long time. It ends better than it starts. That in itself is a rarity in an album. Give it 5 listens and it's up there.

Gee imagine it an indie darling put out an album of this quality. They would be the second coming of The Lord.

They will never escape the universal hate Bono seems to generate.
Or maybe people hold a band like U2 to higher standards than they do some new young band.

Just perhaps.

Watching Mick Molloy being ever so hilarious on Channel 7 Grand Final morning I came to the conclusion that he mirrors U2 in quality of product. Fantastic in the early nineties and some would say both Mick and U2's peak. Then apart from a brief return to form around the turn of the new millennium (U2-ATYCLB. Mick-The Mick Molloy Show) they both turned in to poor imitation of themselves repeating the same tedious things over and over that they both think still work but have many just wanting them to go away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back