The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like Balotelli is taking some getting used to for our midfielders who are used to having dynamic, hard working forwards making incisive runs and dragging defenders out of position ahead of them.

We're getting the ball into that final third, looking for options and all you see is Mario walking around with his hands on his hips waiting for the ball to be played into his feet. As a result the whole attack (with him as the focal point) looks static and disjointed, and we're far, far easier to defend against. Mario really, really needs to up his work rate because it's not acceptable at the moment for a player of his ability and athleticism. He can run, he's just choosing not to which is obviously quite frustrating because everyone knows what he is capable of!

Thankfully Sturridge is returning this week who will no doubt bring that dynamism back into our forward play, and hopefully set an example for Mario as to what is expected of a forward at this club. His poor work rate is also affecting us defensively in my opinion, the press only works when you have the entire team working hard as a unit to generate turnovers. How many times did you see Suarez, Sturridge or Sterling sack the last defender to give us a 2v1 or 1v1 scoring opportunity? That sort of scenario comes about as a collective effort and that's what we talk about when we say the system made us such a potent attacking outfit last season. However, if you get a single gap in that press then it goes from being an offensive weapon to a defensive liability. Everyone has a role in that system and if someone (ie Mario) neglects their duty and you're not expecting it, then you're left with players out of position, trying to defend passes made under little to no pressure. Obviously individual errors haven't helped our cause at the back but it's been mentioned a couple of times that we look even more open defensively this season than we did last season.

I wonder how Mario would take it if Rodgers tells him to start improving his movement

The ball gets turned over, you're looking for your strikers to bust a gut on the counter trying to look for the quick ball in behind, Mario just stands there and wants the ball played to him. Don't think it's laziness, it's game intelligence

And when we have possession going forward, you want Mario making some runs at their defense to try to drag them outta place. What he does is standing 5 yards in front of their line waiting for the ball to played to him. Plays right into other teams' hands, they want him to get the ball in non-dangerous areas

Anyone who's gonna play in the derby does not play in the league cup

Henderson just had 3 90 min games in a week, he doesn't start

Jones
RB Toure Skrtel Enrique
Markovic Lucas Rossiter Coutinho
Lambert Borini

Sub Skrtel off at some stage, and no idea who plays right back

Swap Lucas and Suso.

Don't usually watch this mickey mouse league cup, but I'll watch this one just to see how others players in the squad perform, especially without Gerrard.

Suso has to play.

The thing with Mario is when he has the ball at his feet he looks very good, brilliant at times. But the thing is he doesn't get the ball as often as he should because he doesn't seek it himself. Always waiting for someone to put it on a plate for him

Clearly he has bags of talent, but there are tons to work on here and it depends on how willing he is

Why did Suso agree to a pre-contract so early in the season? What if he makes a breakthrough and starts 5 games in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we could see Yesil in the cup I guess. he featured last season in that game against West Brom which was quite the second string side.

Gerrards stats from last year compared to the start of this year.

Wten8Cs.png

The same amount of long balls and key passes. Now down to zero through balls, zero successful dribbles, zero scoring contributions, zero interceptions, 3.45 tackles down to almost zero.

Those who call him a defensive midfielder, how can he be a defensive mid if he doesn't defend?

Not sure how we fix this defense, although the midfield really hasn't been much better, and a lot of it has to do with Gerrard

We can't afford to carry anyone that can't run in our midfield nowadays, and teams are working out Gerrard and man marking him

Lovren keeps pushing the line up and making us play higher, coz he's the commander, the organizer! But every time he does that, someone gets in behind our defense. So what's the ******* point?

Then Rodgers needs to rethink his defense strategies, granted none of them have worked the past two seasons anyway

No one plays a high line nowadays, it's kinda suicide. I'd rather we defend deep like we did last season and give us more space for the counter up the pitch

Watching Downing repeatedly getting in behind us was just depressing, ******* Downing

The club really needs to spunk some serious cash on a quality DM in the jan transfer window. I still say the system is the cause of our defensive woes rather than the personnel themselves. We're too open and letting too much through midfield. And yes, that's got a lot to do with Stevie being ineffective so far this season. I wouldn't even mind seeing Allen playing with Henderson/Jan in midfield when all are fit. Either that or Gerrard plays a high octane game but only plays twice a month.

I hate our high defensive line. It's suicide in the PL which is all about pace.
We should defend deep. Gerrard is a tough one. He is arguably the GOAT in a Liverpool shirt but right now it isnt working. I wonder if he could still play further forward. Drop Lucas into his shielding role in front of the back 4. Have Henderson be box to box and play Gerrard in the number 10 like he used to just off of Torres when he was in his prime.

No idea if he could still be effective there or if he could do it for 90 mins. Havent seen him forward in years though.

We WILL get better. I trust the manager. He'll be watching footage of the games and he'll have assistants and coaches to help him and he will come good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back