Opinion Speculation over - Eade Coach

Who will be our next Coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly have no idea. If Hird coaches Essendon I think we have Bomber. But if Hird is stood down then it wouldn't surprise me if Bomber stayed.
Agree. I feel for Bomber. 3 time premiership player, premiership captain of a club that is now in turmoil.
It would be so easy for him to stay and rebuild them if he got that chance. Hird's high court decision holds the key.

To be quite honest he said more than I thought he did. Was quite honest.

My money is on him staying actually. Hird will go and Little won't waste time in signing Thompson.

Probably only did because the crowd stopped his speech 8 times to demand he talk about it. There would've been a riot if he didn't bring it up.

This post by a Bomber poster over on BF Essendon board:

Great speech by Bomber at the B&F.
Wants to stay.

Equated stepping down as senior coach to a senior player going to the VFL and he doesn't really want to do that.

Will decide in the next couple of days if he will stay.

All we can do now is pray Hird doesn't get sacked. Hopefully the dons fans get loud about their hero so they let the great coach walk.
I hope Hird does get sacked so Bomber has to make a decision on exactly where he wants to be

This post by a Bomber poster over on BF Essendon board:

Great speech by Bomber at the B&F.
Wants to stay.

Equated stepping down as senior coach to a senior player going to the VFL and he doesn't really want to do that.

Will decide in the next couple of days if he will stay.
Was the poster Finey or listening to him. Rohan Connelly/Finey combined both said that post

I hope Hird does get sacked so Bomber has to make a decision on exactly where he wants to be

I think Bomber is class enough to give 110% wherever he goes. It's not going to be such an easy decision for him that he'll feel absolutely right about it all the time. It's just like Ablett when he left Geelong. He wasn't sure if he made the right decision in the early going, but he stuck with what he did, fought his ass off, and he's been a leader of this team. Bomber played his whole career with the dons. The team is his goddamn nickname. He isn't going to take leaving them lightly, but he's not going to take abandoning all the talent we have here at GC lightly either. I don't get why you guys are so hooked on getting a coach who's 100% interested in the Suns job and the Suns job only. This is real life. Things aren't that easy.

Mark Thompson tonight indicated he still had the desire to be a senior coach, but denied he had spoken to the Suns.

“My situation is - it was a fantastic year we had, I loved it,” he said at Essendon’s best and fairest.

“The thing that I am really struggling with right now, is taking a step back.

“I haven’t talked to the Gold Coast.

“The plan was to leave, after this year. I don’t really want to because I do love this football club

“But I can’t do a job that doesn’t really fill the need. That’s my situation.”

The Bombers board could meet Thursday for crisis talks.

Hird has the right to appeal but the move could put him at odds with the club as it faces the loss of senior assistant coach Mark Thompson to the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost feels like it was planned?

"The plan is was to leave after this year." - basically in anticipation of Hird coming back to take head coach role.

So I think we perhaps courted him or our board + Thompson managment have met well before this "review" took place.

Surely we will gain some help from the AFL at this stage after promoting Auld and there will be some ludicrous offer to Thompson (similar to an Ablett deal). We have had the tenacity to do it before. No reason it wouldn't happen again. Something ridiculous like 6 million over 4 years.
Throw in Sanderson as senior assisstant - hopefully still keep Primus also. Not bad coaching team developing if it all pans out.

Mark Thompson tonight indicated he still had the desire to be a senior coach, but denied he had spoken to the Suns.

“My situation is - it was a fantastic year we had, I loved it,” he said at Essendon’s best and fairest.

“The thing that I am really struggling with right now, is taking a step back.

“I haven’t talked to the Gold Coast.

“The plan was to leave, after this year. I don’t really want to because I do love this football club

“But I can’t do a job that doesn’t really fill the need. That’s my situation.”

The Bombers board could meet Thursday for crisis talks.

Hird has the right to appeal but the move could put him at odds with the club as it faces the loss of senior assistant coach Mark Thompson to the Gold Coast.
Al of that sounds like a guy that wants the Essendon senior position, if so I can understand why, he is forcing them to make a decision, one that they have been incapable of to this point

MARK Thompson could have the choice of two coaching jobs — Essendon and Gold Coast — after an extraordinary day.

Thompson is favourite to replace Guy McKenna, who was sacked by the Suns, and Thompson is the logical replacement if James Hird is sacked for defying Essendon orders to end his legal battle with ASADA.

The Bombers, however, could lose both Hird and Thompson in a short period.

It’s no certainty the two-time premiership coach would replace Hird — if Hird were sacked — because of his strong friendship and support of Hird throughout the ASADA-AFL drugs investigation.

The overwhelming belief is Thompson will stay at Essendon.

Al of that sounds like a guy that wants the Essendon senior position, if so I can understand why, he is forcing them to make a decision, one that they have been incapable of to this point
True. Our decision today has backed Little and his board into a corner. Makes me think that today's decision by us was totally on Bluey and whether he stays for 12 months longer or move on him now. If that's the case, then an untried is definitely in the mix.

Adelaide will probably get their pick of the unprovens. Sign their coach over the two weeks while Bomber is gone. It won't be until the Bomber/Hird saga plays out that the Suns will be able to start probing the market.

FA starts Friday, trading starts Monday.

If we don't have a coach either before or during trade week, I can see us losing potential acquisitions, namely Malceski.

Rookies firm as new Crows coach

CHASING A COACH — ADELAIDE’S RUNDOWN

SENIOR COACHES

Adelaide secured Gary Ayres from Geelong in 1999 when he was still on contract to the Cats. No current AFL coach would be looking at Adelaide — with the exception of Guy McKenna who is unsure of his tenure at Gold Coast. Stand-in Essendon coach Mark Thompson refuses to acknowledge the Crows out of respect for sacked Adelaide mentor Brenton Sanderson.

RECENT COACHES

There are John Worsfold (ex-West Coast), Michael Voss (ex-Brisbane) and Brett Ratten (ex-Carlton). Worsfold wants another year out of the system; Voss could reunite with the Lions crew that currently rules Gold Coast and Ratten appears reluctant to return to senior coaching as he carries the scars from his time at the Blues.

568252-0d38605a-4877-11e4-9bb4-d8c2ecaf4782.jpg

Alastair Clarkson and Brendon Bolton hold the premiership cup aloft. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

FIRST TIMERS

NATHAN BASSETT: The former Crows defender has been in the AFL system for just one year as an assistant coach at Essendon. But his work at Norwood as the 2012-2013 premiership coach should carry significance.

STUART DEW: Appears most eager for a senior job. The Port Adelaide and Hawthorn premiership player started his coaching apprenticeship at Sydney in 2009.

BRENDON BOLTON: Gained currency this season when he stepped up to cover for Hawthorn senior coach Alastair Clarkson. Seems more likely to stay with Hawks with hope of a succession plan with Clarkson.

SCOTT BURNS: Adelaide said he was “not ready” when it interviewed the former Collingwood captain in 2011 — and opted for Sanderson. Has worked as an assistant coach at West Coast and Collingwood since 2009.

LEIGH TUDOR: Varied experiences as an assistant coach — St Kilda, 2009-2010; Sydney, 2011-2013; North Melbourne this season.

PETER SUMICH: The “Ken Hinkley” in the field — the former West Coast forward has a long coaching apprenticeship that includes 11 seasons with the Eagles and the past three with Fremantle.

I really can't see Essendon messing this up. They'll probably fire Hird.
Ummmm have you been watching the pantomime that is the Essendon football club ova the last 2 years? If anyone can * this up it is them.

I see them sacking Hird, appointing Bomber, Hird sues and drops them all in the s**t and the club implodes for another 12 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back