Tribute: Gough Whitlam

Remove this Banner Ad

A good example of how great Whitlam was is all the things we still talk about in regards to what he did for the country. Compare him to Kevin Rudd. In 40 years time what will Rudd's legacy be, what will people think about when they remember him or will they remember him at all. Basically the only thing he did of historical note was apologise to the Aboriginal people.

Even then he was standing on the shoulders of greater men in Whitlam and Fraser who started it all with the Aboriginal Land Rights Act.

Even then he was standing on the shoulders of greater men in Whitlam and Fraser who started it all with the Aboriginal Land Rights Act.

Exactly. Gillard had the chance to be remembered by history for legalising gay marriage but she decided that she would rather play politics. Politicians who play politics will never get remembered by history as they are too concerned with what the polls say and not concerned enough with doing what is right.

What part of Barnett's comments is wrong?

He said Whitlam was a reformer and moderniser, but not a great PM. That seems like a pretty accurate description.
“I don’t think Gough should really be remembered as a great prime minister."
“He was a reforming prime minister, he’s got his place in history, I don’t want to be miserable about it, but he ended up with a government in chaos.
“I think some people build an image of Gough Whitlam which I don’t think is quite true.

“He certainly was a visionary, he certainly changed Australia but he did not run a competent Government."

Sometimes you're better off leaving things unsaid, particularly as a holder of high office.
How can you modernise the country, bringing in reforms that people still love 40 years later and at the same time not be a great PM?
Some people don't like those words;)

“I don’t think Gough should really be remembered as a great prime minister."
“He was a reforming prime minister, he’s got his place in history, I don’t want to be miserable about it, but he ended up with a government in chaos.
“I think some people build an image of Gough Whitlam which I don’t think is quite true.

“He certainly was a visionary, he certainly changed Australia but he did not run a competent Government."
Sounds like a pretty fair assessment really. Why do we have to pretend the man could do no wrong?

The trouble with saying something controversial is there are thousands of bloggers just waiting to get upset about what (Tony, Bill, Jacqui or Christine) said.
So true. I mean, look at the biggest story of the past week - some politician making a stupid Arnold Schwarzenegger joke. No wonder nothing important ever gets done.

Not sure what all the fuss is, the guy was a politician, as truthful as a used car salesman, and then he got sacked from his job for being incompetent, 2 or 3 minutes on the nightly news would be enough, not the endless crap like he was the greatest person that ever lived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What part of Barnett's comments is wrong?

He said Whitlam was a reformer and moderniser, but not a great PM. That seems like a pretty accurate description.

That statement implies that the former (being a reformer) cancels out the possibility of the latter (being good in office). It's an idea regularly touted by conservatives, who aren't ideologically driven to reform or modernise, but to conserve. Yet Whitlam lead a reformist party to government and went about reforming. His role as PM, his mandate from the people you could even say, was to reform and on that score he was incredibly successful. So much so that much of what was legislated during his short time as PM has lasted and become an integral part of our society and national identity. It's not just the intimidating amount of reform in such a short amount of time that was incredible, but the longevity of much of it.

Slagging off at someone when they die just shows the class of person they are. It has nothing to do with whether it was Thatcher or Whitlam.
Whitlam didn't do this to win an election. Anyone who would deserves all they get.

1368585613_hms-sheffield-2.jpg

What ideals are these?

* an education system that treats everyone equally and measures university entrance on results not privilege;
* a health system that has actually improved our mortality rate significantly through universality and medicines available to those who need it, without needing a second mortgage to pay for it;
* a society that respects and recognises its indigenous history;

Those three pillars of Australia today can be directly linked to Whitlam and his progressive government.

I'm not young, but I'm too young to know what effect Gough had on life in Australia before and after. Apart from what I read in books. I was only about 3 years old at the times of the dismissal, and I'm in my 40s now. I wonder how many posters in this thread are old enough to really understand his legacy first hand.

Still, 98 is a fair innings.

Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace. He will be sorely missed at least by some.
I was in my mid 20's then, hadn't had the opportunity to finish high school due to family reasons and took the opportunity through a scheme he introduced to obtain a qualification. Influenced my career choices of welfare and then adult education.
His three years left a great legacy for women, racial discrimination, welfare, etc as others have stated although he did however make a number of mistakes.
It was his vision for a different Australia and Australians that I remember most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back