Certified Legendary Thread Awkward Flirting Stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay, so in 1994, if you meet a girl out and it's going well, you ask her number, how does she give it to you? Does she carry a pen and write it on your arm or something? What if you sweat it off and wake up the next morning with the last two digits missing? That, and the fact you could smoke at the bar of a pub, is insane to me.

Anyway, my mate came back to my house one day after school to play some backyard cricket. During the tea break I decided to log onto MSN and just by chance the girl he had a crush on was online.
I know people even a year or two younger than me who never experienced the jubilation and angst of this. Some girls were enigmas – usually the better looking, the less their icon was green – and you'd have to wait six or seven minutes and wonder if you should turn your 'listening to' on or off, and hope she hadn't gone offline in the time between coming on and establishing an okay time to chat. My first successful, unsuccessful, missed, and heartbreaking liaisons all started on MSN. You also had that weird thing where you'd get to know girls a year below but it was always dead awkward at school for some reason... Great times, wouldn't cash em in for anything.

I know people even a year or two younger than me who never experienced the jubilation and angst of this. Some girls were enigmas – usually the better looking, the less their icon was green – and you'd have to wait six or seven minutes and wonder if you should turn your 'listening to' on or off, and hope she hadn't gone offline in the time between coming on and establishing an okay time to chat. My first successful, unsuccessful, missed, and heartbreaking liaisons all started on MSN. You also had that weird thing where you'd get to know girls a year below but it was always dead awkward at school for some reason... Great times, wouldn't cash em in for anything.
Yep MSN flirts were some of the best (and worst) ones I've had. I remember telling the girl I liked that I liked her on MSN. Her response 'thank god this is just MSN, this would be so weird at school.' (It was weird anyway). Also got dumped via it once. The awkwardness of it the next day though is something kinda symptomatic with a lot of online/text relationships. You'd chat with girls all night and get barred in class the next day.

Okay, so in 1994, if you meet a girl out and it's going well, you ask her number, how does she give it to you? Does she carry a pen and write it on your arm or something? What if you sweat it off and wake up the next morning with the last two digits missing? That, and the fact you could smoke at the bar of a pub, is insane to me.
Pen on the arm or a bit of paper, lipstick on a napkin and hope to god you don't lose it.

I know people even a year or two younger than me who never experienced the jubilation and angst of this.
They sound like great times... I used MSN when I had no interest in gettin' teh ladiez and just played the games with my mates. :(

Haha yeah MSN flirting was a killer. Remember getting done by the old 'hey GTF, will you go out with me?' then a bit further down in the convo getting 'OMG sorry, that was actually my friend speaking to you haha!' Luckily I had said 'na not over MSN, ask me at school', or it would've been awkward for about 5 minutes the next day. Was the hottest chick in the year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She says yes on MSN - obligatory addition to your name must be ':hearts:name:hearts:'
I'll admit, I was that guy in my first relationship that had a hundred <3 's in my name and that little sub username...

She says yes on MSN - obligatory addition to your name must be ':hearts:name:hearts:'

hahaha yep and putting a "– " at the start of your name so it'd go above everyone else's in the list

Those days from like 2004-2008, first thing you'd do when you get home would be to log onto MSN and see who's online

Webcam was the s**t

I once invented lyrics (using the music note symbol on either side) to a song in my sub username, something like "why won't you just tell me that you like me".

My crush logged on, googled it (16yo me didn't think that through) and asked me to clarify what the song was as she couldn't find it.

The horror I felt.

I was asked out a few times on MSN. Always thought they were joking, such was the nature of my self-confidence at the time.

When I was about 12/13, this girl I really fancied (a lot did) started chatting to me constantly. You know how you could hide going online? Well I'd log on and she wouldn't even hide it – she'd come online just as I did. She asked me out in her pink comic sans font, and old Fonz over here in his jet-black arial sent her that gif of Snoop Dogg dancing (one emoticon I had – it was that, it came up when I typed "..."). Ended up totes going out, got my name in the lights of her little status bar thing, she came to my house once with about 15 other girls. Probably the only time that'll ever happen.

These days she goes out with a pretty good footballer for the West Coast Eagles. Sure he's deployable at either end and on a few hundred grand a year, but I kissed her with half the year group saying "oi just do it SA!! Do it!" Bet Sharrod and the lads wouldn't get around him that much

hahaha yep and putting a "– " at the start of your name so it'd go above everyone else's in the list

Those days from like 2004-2008, first thing you'd do when you get home would be to log onto MSN and see who's online

Webcam was the s**t
And when they did the update everyone complained and bitched about it at school for the next 3 days

I had mad webcam camera angle game when it came to taking an avatar photo

I once invented lyrics (using the music note symbol on either side) to a song in my sub username, something like "why won't you just tell me that you like me".

My crush logged on, googled it (16yo me didn't think that through) and asked me to clarify what the song was as she couldn't find it.

The horror I felt.
hahahahahha that is so cunning, she actually googled it and payed attention to it though! defs keen.

We could call it 'chances' but unfortunately that title has been taken

I can't believe that show hasn't been brought back.

Just for the Mr Bad storyline. Freaked me out as a kid.

You guys knew who you were talking to online as teenagers?

***slaps you youngins in the face with a wet trout***
Not all the time. A mate once gave me the email address of a girl he knew.

First time that I talked to her she told me how many times a week she masturbated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back