The Public Apology on Maxwell and Test Cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another moronic shot by Maxwell last night.

Australia were cruising to victory at 4-100, with plenty of overs left. The only thing that was going to get South Africa back in the game, was wickets. Maxwell himself was already starting to get set, and going pretty comfortably at 23 from 15. So what does he try and do? Blast his way to glory.

Don't get me wrong, his bowling was very handy last night. And his fielding was excellent. He's clearly a good T20 player. But his batting at times is just so damn brainless. Even in T20 matches, there's a time and a place for mindless slogging, and a time and a place for controlled aggression. He can't judge the difference. Compare him with Cam White -- White ended with 41 off 31, so he was hardly grinding it out. But he did what needed to be done -- he bought the game home.

THAT'S what really good cricketers do.

Another moronic shot by Maxwell last night.

Australia were cruising to victory at 4-100, with plenty of overs left. The only thing that was going to get South Africa back in the game, was wickets. Maxwell himself was already starting to get set, and going pretty comfortably at 23 from 15. So what does he try and do? Blast his way to glory.

Don't get me wrong, his bowling was very handy last night. And his fielding was excellent. He's clearly a good T20 player. But his batting at times is just so damn brainless. Even in T20 matches, there's a time and a place for mindless slogging, and a time and a place for controlled aggression. He can't judge the difference. Compare him with Cam White -- White ended with 41 off 31, so he was hardly grinding it out. But he did what needed to be done -- he bought the game home.

THAT'S what really good cricketers do.

White has to be in the World Cup squad surely. He is in red hot form and has plenty of experience.

I thought that once the XI is picked Clarke chooses the batting order? He made it very clear before the game that he didn't want Smith to bat at 3, so I think he has to take a lot of the blame for batting Maxwell at 3. Extremely poor decision.
I hope you are joking, the selectors swapped Doolan for Maxwell and indicated he was going to bat at No.3. You simply cannot blame Clarke for that. Selectors were the ones that erred...they must carry the can.

I hope you are joking, the selectors swapped Doolan for Maxwell and indicated he was going to bat at No.3. You simply cannot blame Clarke for that. Selectors were the ones that erred...they must carry the can.
I think it's an understandable mistake, given Clarke always goes on about how the selectors pick the XI and he picks the order. But the reality is they've clearly been cases when he hasn't picked the exact position someone bats in (Watson obviously)

I think it's an understandable mistake, given Clarke always goes on about how the selectors pick the XI and he picks the order. But the reality is they've clearly been cases when he hasn't picked the exact position someone bats in (Watson obviously)

Times have changed. In the 70s, selectors picked the team, and then it was handed over to the captain. Ian Chappell would be totally responsible for batting line ups, use of bowlers, etc. These days, there are coaches telling the captain what to do, as well as selectors telling them player X has been picked to bat at 3, or open the bowling, etc. Most of what a captain does these days is in consultation with others.

Onya show, because the state of the games were totally the same.

If we are 3/500 do you're shitty little sweeps, otherwise leave it in the sheds.

Last edited:
I have no desire to see Maxwell back in the baggy green anytime soon and the nonsensical batting of his in the UAE certainly warranted criticism, but...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/798703.html

Russell Jackson is right, there is a remarkable level of hyperbolic hatred for Maxwell - stemming from a joke nickname bestowed upon him by teammates and perpetuated by the media and an enormous IPL paycheck (where he has actually lived up to his worth).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no desire to see Maxwell back in the baggy green anytime soon and the nonsensical batting of his in the UAE certainly warranted criticism, but...

Russell Jackson is right, there is a remarkable level of hyperbolic hatred for Maxwell - stemming from a joke nickname bestowed upon him by teammates and perpetuated by the media and an enormous IPL paycheck (where he has actually lived up to his worth).
It's not his fault he was selected in the recent test side.

It wasn't his fault he was told to bat up the order either.

What was his fault was the way he batted in the first innings, coupled with the nature of his dismissal. That just eliminated any doubt as to whether he should be there or not.

The comment about the media is correct though (both above and in the article). The Channel 9 commentary box in particular too often sounds like a boys' club with little in the way of maturity about it. Which doesn't help Maxwell, I agree.

I said it in the match thread and I still hold the view - if Maxwell genuinely wanted to get rid of the nickname, he blew a golden opportunity in the test match just gone. Putting his head down and grinding out an innings would have shown a completely different side to his batting and at least put a dent in the Big Show persona. But he wasn't up to the task.

It's not his fault he was selected in the recent test side.

It wasn't his fault he was told to bat up the order either.

What was his fault was the way he batted in the first innings, coupled with the nature of his dismissal. That just eliminated any doubt as to whether he should be there or not.

The comment about the media is correct though (both above and in the article). The Channel 9 commentary box in particular too often sounds like a boys' club with little in the way of maturity about it. Which doesn't help Maxwell, I agree.

I said it in the match thread and I still hold the view - if Maxwell genuinely wanted to get rid of the nickname, he blew a golden opportunity in the test match just gone. Putting his head down and grinding out an innings would have shown a completely different side to his batting and at least put a dent in the Big Show persona. But he wasn't up to the task.

He blows golden opportunities to prove he understands that one format is not the same as the other all the time. At some point the penny may drop, as yet he's probably a bit hung up on his own reputation.

I can't speak for others, but Maxwell's contract in the IPL means nothing to me. My criticism of him is as a Test cricketer only. He isn't a good enough batsman to play Test cricket, nor is he a good enough bowler. I cannot understand why he was selected in the first place, and sincerely trust he will never be selected again. All BS aside, he simply isn't good enough.

Anyone who claims the reverse sweep is a more natural shot to him than a cover drive obviously lacks technique, and if you lack technique, Test cricket will find you out in very quick time .. which it has with Maxwell.

I can't speak for others, but Maxwell's contract in the IPL means nothing to me. My criticism of him is as a Test cricketer only. He isn't a good enough batsman to play Test cricket, nor is he a good enough bowler. I cannot understand why he was selected in the first place, and sincerely trust he will never be selected again. All BS aside, he simply isn't good enough.

Anyone who claims the reverse sweep is a more natural shot to him than a cover drive obviously lacks technique, and if you lack technique, Test cricket will find you out in very quick time .. which it has with Maxwell.

That's not lacking technique, that's lacking a fundamental understanding of the value of shot selection and how to sum up a pitch. It's his BRAIN that's the problem. He can play proper shots, that's what shits me the most. He needs to develop the parts of his brain that aren't completely centred on instant reward.

James Brayshaw whilst carrying on like a fool during Friday's ODI unwittingly said something sensible. He said he would like to see a "brain scan" of Maxwell batting to see what happens (presumably where his brain lights up) when he plays a reverse sweep. If his brain lights up in the same part and in the same way for a reverse sweep as for every other shot, then yes, for him a reverse sweep is like every other shot. However this is not an argument in his favour; that's just ****ed up and probably worse than if he is actually premeditating the shot (which we know he is).

James Brayshaw whilst carrying on like a fool during Friday's ODI unwittingly said something sensible. He said he would like to see a "brain scan" of Maxwell batting to see what happens (presumably where his brain lights up) when he plays a reverse sweep. If his brain lights up in the same part and in the same way for a reverse sweep as for every other shot, then yes, for him a reverse sweep is like every other shot. However this is not an argument in his favour; that's just ****** up and probably worse than if he is actually premeditating the shot (which we know he is).

I have any streams on mute. I won't listen to them this summer. they detract from just about any thing I am watching so I am going to miss the once a match useful bit of wheat as I can't be doing with the endless chaff.

But I agree, it would be interesting to see that. And it probably is worse. I hope he premeditates everything. That's certainly what it looks like.

I have any streams on mute. I won't listen to them this summer. they detract from just about any thing I am watching so I am going to miss the once a match useful bit of wheat as I can't be doing with the endless chaff.

But I agree, it would be interesting to see that. And it probably is worse. I hope he premeditates everything. That's certainly what it looks like.
And if you pre meditate.....that means you don't have a technique that stands up under pressure, for that is what the essence of technique is.

And if you pre meditate.....that means you don't have a technique that stands up under pressure, for that is what the essence of technique is.

By saying, I hope he premeditates everything, what I mean is his shot selection is so horrific at times that it can't be anything else but I get your point.

In terms of technique I was meaning that his actual form and positioning if he plays correct looking shots is ok. You are defining - and I'd say correctly - technique in a wider sense than the way I was using it.

I guess I'm saying he can play technically correct shots.

Last edited:

And by one, terrible, North Melbourne supporting commentator in particular

It's a bit like Smith circa 2010-11, particularly some of the "hope he never plays again!!!" stuff., but more amplified. I mean, the amount of heat his reverse sweep thing has got is bonkers.

By saying, I hope he premeditates everything, what I mean is his shot selection is so horrific at times that it can't be anything else but I get your point.

In terms of technique I was meaning that his actual form and positioning if he plays correct looking shots is ok. You are defining - and I'd say correctly - technique in a wider sense than the way I was using it.

I guess I'm saying he can play technically correct shots.
I don't think he has a technique that is up to first class let alone international standard. The West Indies of the late 70's early 80's would have destroyed him. Plenty of "good" players found out on a deck with pace and bounce. That's where you earn your stripes. Maxwell has none.

That's not lacking technique, that's lacking a fundamental understanding of the value of shot selection and how to sum up a pitch. It's his BRAIN that's the problem. He can play proper shots, that's what shits me the most. He needs to develop the parts of his brain that aren't completely centred on instant reward.

Actually, it IS lacking technique. The cover drive is an extension to the forward defence. As an attacking shot, it should be the most natural shot in a player's arsenal. If you are seeing the ball coming towards you in line with the off stump on a drivable length, the very last thing that should enter the mind is a bloody reverse sweep .... or any shot other than a forward defensive push or cover drive for that matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back