The Public Apology on Maxwell and Test Cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, it IS lacking technique. The cover drive is an extension to the forward defence. As an attacking shot, it should be the most natural shot in a player's arsenal. If you are seeing the ball coming towards you in line with the off stump on a drivable length, the very last thing that should enter the mind is a bloody reverse sweep .... or any shot other than a forward defensive push or cover drive for that matter.

Yes, I''m getting that banged into my head thanks.

And by one, terrible, North Melbourne supporting commentator in particular

It's a bit like Smith circa 2010-11, particularly some of the "hope he never plays again!!!" stuff., but more amplified. I mean, the amount of heat his reverse sweep thing has got is bonkers.
To paraphrase Ken Hinkley " he got what he deserved" his latest efforts have only amplified his lack of mental application.

Times have changed. In the 70s, selectors picked the team, and then it was handed over to the captain. Ian Chappell would be totally responsible for batting line ups, use of bowlers, etc. These days, there are coaches telling the captain what to do, as well as selectors telling them player X has been picked to bat at 3, or open the bowling, etc. Most of what a captain does these days is in consultation with others.

It's glorious isn't it? Everyone gets a say, everyone is involved, and no one is responsible.

Perfect.

It's not his fault he was selected in the recent test side.

It wasn't his fault he was told to bat up the order either.

What was his fault was the way he batted in the first innings, coupled with the nature of his dismissal. That just eliminated any doubt as to whether he should be there or not.

Excellent point. Totally agree. The thing is, it's still an opportunity to hang around and prove you belong. And I can think of plenty of examples of players who have done that. Take everyone's other favourite whipping boy in Pietersen, specifically in Perth in 2005. England lost and lost badly, but he hung around and made 70 in the first innings and an undefeated 60 (in four hours) in the second. Like Maxwell it certainly was not his natural game, but he was good enough to realise occasionally you have to adjust your game to the moment. I can't see Maxwell doing that right now.

Actually, it IS lacking technique. The cover drive is an extension to the forward defence. As an attacking shot, it should be the most natural shot in a player's arsenal. If you are seeing the ball coming towards you in line with the off stump on a drivable length, the very last thing that should enter the mind is a bloody reverse sweep .... or any shot other than a forward defensive push or cover drive for that matter.

I can think of a perfect example too. The last test of the 1988-89 series in Adelaide. Although the West Indies had naturally murdered Australia early on, Australia did win in Sydney in the 4th test. What was fascinating in Adelaide was the way Viv Richards played Mike Whitney, who took 7-89 in the first innings (including Viv, for 69). He shuffled a yard further forward than normal, and to negate Whitney's across the body angle (being a leftie bowling to a right-hander), he would pretty much just push forward and roll the wrists. My memory of his second innings, when he made an undefeated 68, was that he was batting well within himself, but completely neutralised the threat of Whitney. He also didn't look like going out. And it wasn't from stonewalling completely; he still played shots, but he worked out how to survive and score without taking any poor risks. Mostly from just forward defensive pushes and cover drives. No risk, and it helped ensure the draw.

Mind you, he could play a bit too.

Adelaide or the one against India?

In either case I find it hard to disagree with you.
Adelaide was the one I had in mind.

Made all the more impressive/frustrating by the knowledge that we have nobody with the ability to do even half of that.

I can't speak for others, but Maxwell's contract in the IPL means nothing to me. My criticism of him is as a Test cricketer only. He isn't a good enough batsman to play Test cricket, nor is he a good enough bowler. I cannot understand why he was selected in the first place, and sincerely trust he will never be selected again. All BS aside, he simply isn't good enough.

Anyone who claims the reverse sweep is a more natural shot to him than a cover drive obviously lacks technique, and if you lack technique, Test cricket will find you out in very quick time .. which it has with Maxwell.
You commented on it earlier in this thread for goodness sakes!

Why are we sitting 2nd in the world by a couple of ranking points then? Why did SA lose to us at home?

Because we're a very good team when the game is fast paced and we gain the ascendency.

And us getting ranked ahead of South Africa given their record everywhere in the world (they haven't lost a series away from home for nearly a decade) was a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we're a very good team when the game is fast paced and we gain the ascendency.

And us getting ranked ahead of South Africa given their record everywhere in the world (they haven't lost a series away from home for nearly a decade) was a joke
South Africa rarely playing Tests in Australia these days probably helps their cause (yes yes, I know they won their last series here like 6 years ago). Also, when was the last time they toured India for a Test series (genuine question, I have no idea)?

South Africa rarely playing Tests in Australia these days probably helps their cause (yes yes, I know they won their last series here like 6 years ago). Also, when was the last time they toured India for a Test series (genuine question, I have no idea)?

Last time they toured India they won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back