Movie Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw it over the weekend.
loved it, keen to re-watch to piece all the bits together...
the dialogue was hard to hear in some parts, but the overall sound/music was amazing.
Loved all the silent moments.
9/10

Saw it over the weekend.
loved it, keen to re-watch to piece all the bits together...
the dialogue was hard to hear in some parts, but the overall sound/music was amazing.
Loved all the silent moments.
9/10

I liked the fact that when they showed scenes in space (outside of the spaceship interior), there was no sound. There's no sound in space and Christopher Nolan like many other filmmakers could have added sound effects but chose to keep it accurate. This was the movie I always wanted but never knew it. Loved seeing time dilation, wormholes, black holes, 5th dimensions, a bit of time travel. The fight scene on the Ice Planet was ridiculous and I tried to ignore Dr Brand rambling on about love but other than that I didn't have too many issues with the film. No idea if the sound mixing was off or not, will have to wait and see once the DVD comes out.

Well…he doesn't stand anywhere close to them, so that discussion is finished.

I mean, **** me, seriously. The notion that Nolan is anywhere near the league of Kubrick, Bergman, Welles, Renoir, Huston, Ford, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Ozu, Herzog, Wenders, Hitchcock, Keaton, Chaplin, Murnau, Lang, Wilder, Lean, Kazan, Scorsese, The Coens, Dreyer, Einstein, Mizoguchi, and a bunch of others is just laughable.

He's nowhere near the discussion of all time great filmmakers.

You forgot Kevin Smith and Todd Phillips ;)

Saw it on the weekend and WOW!!!!! MM is becoming the go to guy in Hollywood. Beautiful for my eyes and ears. Couple of little things but overall 9/10 and will require a second viewing.

I liked the fact that when they showed scenes in space (outside of the spaceship interior), there was no sound. There's no sound in space and Christopher Nolan like many other filmmakers could have added sound effects but chose to keep it accurate. This was the movie I always wanted but never knew it. Loved seeing time dilation, wormholes, black holes, 5th dimensions, a bit of time travel. The fight scene on the Ice Planet was ridiculous and I tried to ignore Dr Brand rambling on about love but other than that I didn't have too many issues with the film. No idea if the sound mixing was off or not, will have to wait and see once the DVD comes out.

Went to see this at IMAX which looked great visually but these silent shots from outside the ship were ruined by the insanely loud IMAX projector :thumbsdown:

Love me some sci fi and generally love Nolan, I should have been this movie's exact target audience. But this just didn't do it for me for some reason. I really tried to suspend my disbelief but it all just got a bit too silly in the end. Contrary to what alot of other people have said I really felt the length of it too, just way too long. Will say that the score and sound design overall was amazing, great visually too.

Mainly though it wasn't even the silly science stuff that took me out of it, it was the forced emotional setup it tried to jam down your throat. The way McConaughey got recruited and left earth made no sense to me whatsoever. The only reason McConaughey is on that shuttle is because he rocks up to the fence with some bolt cutters? Michael Cain's character knew him prior to that, you'd think if he was always the man for the job you would just go and get him. Also felt like it was about 6 hours from the the point they arrived at the base to the point they launched, done like that intentionally I guess to drive the emotional stuff with Murph but come on, gun pilot or not I think there would be a bit more training and briefing for someone who had been a farmer for the last few years. And Murph thinking her dad might have known about the lie and just left her on Earth to die? Wow guess she doesn't have much faith in her old man lol, I just couldn't buy it.

Also a bit confused by the setting on Earth. Is it 10 years in the future or 100? If its 10, pretty sure there would still be an MRI machine or 2 around. Oh, and Michael Cain looking pretty much the same after 23 years.

Love me some sci fi and generally love Nolan, I should have been this movie's exact target audience. But this just didn't do it for me for some reason. I really tried to suspend my disbelief but it all just got a bit too silly in the end. Contrary to what alot of other people have said I really felt the length of it too, just way too long. Will say that the score and sound design overall was amazing, great visually too.

Mainly though it wasn't even the silly science stuff that took me out of it, it was the forced emotional setup it tried to jam down your throat. The way McConaughey got recruited and left earth made no sense to me whatsoever. The only reason McConaughey is on that shuttle is because he rocks up to the fence with some bolt cutters? Michael Cain's character knew him prior to that, you'd think if he was always the man for the job you would just go and get him. Also felt like it was about 6 hours from the the point they arrived at the base to the point they launched, done like that intentionally I guess to drive the emotional stuff with Murph but come on, gun pilot or not I think there would be a bit more training and briefing for someone who had been a farmer for the last few years. And Murph thinking her dad might have known about the lie and just left her on Earth to die? Wow guess she doesn't have much faith in her old man lol, I just couldn't buy it.

Also a bit confused by the setting on Earth. Is it 10 years in the future or 100? If its 10, pretty sure there would still be an MRI machine or 2 around. Oh, and Michael Cain looking pretty much the same after 23 years.
Michael Caine has looked the same for the last 23 years so stands to reason he'll look the same in another 23.

I liked it, except for

if the beings had mastery of time and space, and could just dump Cooper out into space with the robot, why wouldn't they deposit him inside a space station rather than relying on blind chance that he be picked up by a patrol?

The movie left possibilities, but in my mind not too many questions beyond the one above.

And yes, I thought it was pretty clear that humans evolved into the multi-dimensional beings. It was stated outright.

I liked it, except for

if the beings had mastery of time and space, and could just dump Cooper out into space with the robot, why wouldn't they deposit him inside a space station rather than relying on blind chance that he be picked up by a patrol?

The movie left possibilities, but in my mind not too many questions beyond the one above.

And yes, I thought it was pretty clear that humans evolved into the multi-dimensional beings. It was stated outright.

I guess if they have a mastery of time and space it wasn't a blind chance - they know for a fact that a ship will be there to pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved this movie! 9/10. Thought the movie length was perfect although i'm use to seeing long movies since i watch heaps of bollywood films haha.

Saw it last night...did enjoy I guess, but some of the stuff at the end felt a bit 'stuffed in' to wrap things up. Probably not something I would re-watch, but was worth seeing.
Really it made we want to see it again.. just reckon a 2nd watch you will pick up on heaps of bits you missed

Stunningly good movie. The scientific themes it tackles is pretty ballsy for a mainstream movie, in an industry of remakes and inability to go outside the predictable, the movie is worth the price of admission.

It had a few flaws. The sentimentality and 'love conquers all message' felt a bit sappy, and I wish I could've heard the dialogue better at times. I'm glad it also didn't go down the E.T. type of explanation in the end, kept it grounded (reasonably).

Also, no IMAX theatre in Adelaide anymore, what a friggen joke.

Just saw it. I was glued to the screen the whole time. Thought MM was incredible, seeing him watch his sons messages was gripping, especially after the 23 years. One of those ones where not sure if ill enjoy it more the second time amd pick up on things, or slightly less because the suspense of not knowing whats about to happen is taken away. Amd that score, just sensational.

I was a little disappointed when I first watched but still liked it. Many of the people who disliked the movie say that with time, the people who loved it will hate it too. The opposite happened to me. After sitting on this for a while, then going to see it again recently with some friends who hadn't seen it, I felt like I enjoyed it more. I get the feeling that a lot of the people who hated this movie might start appreciating it more as time goes on as well. I wasn't a huge fan of the final act the first time, but watching it again, for some reason it just seemed to work a bit better.

Haven't heard that, that's dumb. Let people love or hate whatever movies they want.
I think the same. I don't get people who try to persuade you one way or the other. Like when you say you like a movie and someone then reels off a dozen reasons why (in their opinion) you shouldn't. Movies are incredible subjective. Not everyone will think the same. Nor should they.

Haven't heard that, that's dumb. Let people love or hate whatever movies they want.
Yeah, I watched this video with a panel of reviewers. One of the guys on there said "Come back in 6 months, I guarantee you'll hate the movie".

I also think that for a lot of people, they think it's "cool" to hate Christopher Nolan films. There have been some severe hatred for Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises, where the small flaws have been inflated immensely. Most of this is in response to the large and vocal Nolan fanbase, which in itself can be annoying. I hate this sort "fanboyism" culture that is so common now. People are always choosing sides in ways that prevent them from seeing things rationally.

You should check out the Interstellar IMDB forums page to see this in action. I remember when I was reading through it after the movie came out, there were groups of people going "Hey everyone, we have to band together and give this movie a 10 rating so the Nolan-haters don't win" against comments like "I'm starting a campaign on all the other popular forums to vote this film 1" and rubbish like that.

It's fair to not enjoy the movie and it does have flaws or to love it unabashedly, but there does exist a whole culture out there of unfair assessment for a wide range of forms of entertainment.

7/10 for me.

went a bit too long, and some stuff just seemed unnecessary.

Exactly agree. The Matt Damon scene was pointless and trying to stay awake at the start was hard to come by.

Boring 3.5/10

This movie pretends to be great, but it's just a very poorly edited movie. Could have wrapped in1 hour less time and snappier dialogue. Utter disrespect for the audience. My 50 year old cousin fell asleep and his 12 year old son wanted to leave.

Even Prometheus was better, and I thought that was average!

Only for people who want to pretend that they have "taste" ...it just is for for dull movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back