Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm four months older than him. Something about him being so similar in age to me really hits home.

I feel so much for his family, and friends. And I'm genuinely gutted for Sean Abbott too- I really, really hope he is given the utmost support for as long as he needs it, because he will be in purgatory right now. Not that it was his fault in the slightest- this is just as freaky an accident as you can imagine.

Just...****.

I know this is an irrelevant post to all of the above and below but I didn't picture you as a 1988 baby.
3 years older than me.

Seeing the press conference, I shed a couple of tears when James Sutherland was going through his nicknames.

#1988To2014.

Even Google are getting in on the act.
B3gJC4TCYAAmOwz.png

The reaction to this has only reinforced my love for the game and the people who love it as well.
That's brilliant

If the Kiwis are taking it this hard, there's no ******* chance we're playing a Test match next week.
Couldn't agree more. Kane Williamson showing real emotion in the gully with tears. I've never watched cricket like this.

I wanted to write this post because in the hope that it would help me make sense of what has happened since Tuesday. Although I doubt it will. I really do not know if anything ever will. For a sport that I grew up following, loving, passionately supporting the Indian team, I could never have fathomed for one moment that something like this could have ever happened. My interest in cricket has somewhat waned for several reasons as I have grown up, but it has always been a part of my life and, until now, knew for sure it would be would always stay with me. After this, I wonder if I will be able to see cricket the same way again? I really don't know.

Phillip Hughes wasn't a cricketer I took much notice of, particularly when he was out of the Australian team - if he was ever mentioned, there were most likely only three recollections I would have been able to make of him. I obviously did not know him personally, in fact I did not really know what he was like as a person. However, that is not important, because as the events since Tuesday has transpired, I have not cared or been more upset about a person as much as I have with Phillip Hughes. As the potential of his talent has sunk in, and after watching the tribute video on Cricket Australia, the world and cricket is much poorer for his loss. As an aside, I echo the sentiments of a cartoon that was posted a few pages earlier, I don't care if I didn't know him, I have no doubt he would want us to take care of Sean Abbott at this time.

This is why I, for the first time, feel immensely proud to be a part of the cricketing fraternity. I have been overwhelmed to see how all of us, around the world, have come together to pull through for Sean and Phil's family in this moment of sadness. May it long continue.

I apologise if this post seems self-centred, but all I really want to express is that Phil's loss to us will not be in vain. R.I.P. champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I moved out of home five months ago and didn't take my cricket bat with me, sadly. So I've had a look around at work and eventually found one very sketchy looking bat. The nature of my workplace means I have to put it inside my office door rather than outside it:

IMG_1661 (2).JPG

Almost embarrassing compared to some of the great ones I've seen in here and elsewhere today, but there we go.

All class by New Zealand.

This game is hard to watch. Dead silence, going through the motions, everyone is disinterested.

Looking at the black armbands, knowing that is for Phil Hughes, just shatters me.

All class by New Zealand.

This game is hard to watch. Dead silence, going through the motions, everyone is disinterested.

Looking at the black armbands, knowing that is for Phil Hughes, just shatters me.
All the Kiwis have P.H written beneath the numbers on the their shirts. Total class act.

All the Kiwis have P.H written beneath the numbers on the their shirts. Total class act.
This is the beauty of sport. No matter how competitive it is, there is always the respect. The world comes together in a tragedy like this.

After this I makes me realize how lucky I was not to of been clubbed by a cricket ball.

Back when I was in U13s an U15s My fielding spot was next to the pitch where the "no go" circle around the batsman stood. I don't think it ever dawned on me that one shot that heads my way I probably would of worn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back