Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very honest comments here from Henriques about how many of the players are feeling following the passing of Phil Hughes.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/blue...l-aftermath-phillip-hughes-tragedy/2014-12-07

Also NSW have named their Shield team to play Queensland tomorrow with the caveat that players may pull out if they don't feel up to it. I note that Sean Abbott is named in the team, really hope he feels up to playing :)

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/n...-team-to-play-qld-sheffield-shield-round-five

63 seconds of applause
All players wearing 408 on their shirts
408 painted on the outfield
Video narrated by Richie to be shown before the Test
Hughes named as 13th Man
stop at the 1st 4 i reckon

hughes named as 13th man does no one any favours

personally, i don't mind the idea of wearing 408 on the players sleeves for the whole summer

also, how long until 9 starts flogging commemorative plates, bats and prints?

edit - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n-marsh-left-out/story-fnii0bxe-1227148264030

Last edited:
stop at the 1st 4 i reckon

hughes named as 13th man does no one any favours

personally, i don't mind the idea of wearing 408 on the players sleeves for the whole summer

also, how long until 9 starts flogging commemorative plates, bats and prints?

edit - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n-marsh-left-out/story-fnii0bxe-1227148264030

Agree, don't like the 13th man thing either, seems patronising. They named the other four a couple of days ago, I wonder if the 13th man thing was a last minute idea.

A minute silence and applause are not interchangeable IMO. Applause should be used when we are celebrating a life, which typically means they were old or gave great service to the world, such as Jim Stynes and Tom Hafey. It was used correctly in these instances. To me, a minute silence is more for the individual to have some time to themselves to help reflect on a life, and should be performed in more tragic circumstances as is the case with Hughes.

In Stynes' and Hafey's cases, we had for sometime known that they were on there last legs, and so the footy community had already taken many steps to reflect on their lives, even while they were still living. The minute's applause was a way of saying thanks, and applauding what they had given to footy and life as a whole.

It's different with Hughes. We are still saying thanks for what you have given to cricket and to Macksville, but IMO the whole circumstance just requires a minute silence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A minute silence and applause are not interchangeable IMO. Applause should be used when we are celebrating a life, which typically means they were old or gave great service to the world, such as Jim Stynes and Tom Hafey. It was used correctly in these instances. To me, a minute silence is more for the individual to have some time to themselves to help reflect on a life, and should be performed in more tragic circumstances as is the case with Hughes.
Funnily enough it actually seems to be the other way around.

The first I remember seeing it was Shawn McKay from the ACT Brumbies.

I may be in the minority but I prefer the applause to the silence, although I think it should be up to the family, and most probably was in the Hughes case.

No drama's with Hughes being named 13th man. Doesn't really achieve much, but doesn't hurt. Not overly dissimilar to the Washing Redskins (?) playing their first play of the season with 10 defenders a couple of years back after one of their players was killed in the off season (think it was a bungled robbery).

I'm not a fan of the applause thing tbh, it just seems less meaningful than silence, like they don't trust the crowd or something.
I like the applause, silence breeds melancholy and introspection, and there's been enough of that lately. It's time to celebrate and honour his life now.

Agree, don't like the 13th man thing either, seems patronising. They named the other four a couple of days ago, I wonder if the 13th man thing was a last minute idea.

i concur strongly. it does value add, and yes somewhat patronising in suggesting that hey phil you're always part of this team (except when we dropped you from the team, recalled you, then dropped you again).

I'm not a fan of the applause thing tbh, it just seems less meaningful than silence, like they don't trust the crowd or something.

Father Jack well said. there's always some moron who yells out stuff. i'll never forget when a carlton fan yelled out "CARN DA BLUES" during the minutes silence observed the weekend after 9-11 (not at the gabb).

I'll be there, and would be a lot more comfortable with a minutes silence, than applause.

King Elvis if it's a mins applause, i think it would speak volumes if you stood still and silent as Hughes no 2 fan.

The Channel 9 marketing department will be caught right in the middle of a vicious, raging maelstrom of indecision, as they frantically cast about for ways to cash in on the moment with crass, meaningless memorabilia without looking like they're cashing in on the moment with crass, meaningless memorabilia.

I reckon channel nine will release 408 prints as memorabilia to honour Phil Hughes. I fear the release of additional memoribillia will never end all summer.

due to greater demand than expected, we've decided to release another 1000 prints.

The Channel 9 marketing department will be caught right in the middle of a vicious, raging maelstrom of indecision, as they frantically cast about for ways to cash in on the moment with crass, meaningless memorabilia without looking like they're cashing in on the moment with crass, meaningless memorabilia.

They'll probably "gently" pressure the family to support and approve of commemorative crap.

So then they can hide behind the "Officially Approved By The Hughes Family" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back