Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you turned it up when Badlands came on.

I can tell you it was "up" the minute Mike Howe belted out "I pray upon your morbid fear of terminal disease..".:thumbsu:. That song, Badlands, The Spell Can't be Broken...so many awesome tunes on this album.

Also really enjoy Howe's 1988 album with Heretic "Breaking Point". I have a copy somewhere.

Finally got Where Greater Men Have Fallen by Primordial in the mail yesterday. Have to give it a few more spins but doesn't jump out at me like their previous four albums just yet. Though I didn't love The Gathering Wilderness in the beginning, it's now my favourite.

Favourite track off the album so far would be:

Finally got Where Greater Men Have Fallen by Primordial in the mail yesterday. Have to give it a few more spins but doesn't jump out at me like their previous four albums just yet. Though I didn't love The Gathering Wilderness in the beginning, it's now my favourite.

Favourite track off the album so far would be:

Coffin Ships = just about the song of the decade for me.

New one is supposed to be a step up in quality from Redemption at the Puritan's Hand......I think its released tomorrow in Australia?? JB says it is anyway as my wife ordered me a copy today. Waiting on the new Ghost Brigade to arrive too.

Last edited:

Last couple:

Deicide: In the Minds of Evil
Morbid Angel: Covenant
Tribulation: The Horror
Arch Enemy: Stigmata
Possessed: 7 Churches (I remember when a guy at High School bought this in...most evil thing we had heard in our lives alongside Venom and Celtic Frost).

The last 20 plays on my iTunes. Some may think some are dodgy, but Eh!!!

AbortedGrime
Dark TranquillityEx Nihilo
Amon AmarthShape Shifter
CRASHDÏETNeedle in Your Eye
SinisterCrown Of Thorns
EndstilleEndstilles Reich
LordBy George!
NileThe Chaining of the Iniquitous
MoonspellHalla Alle Halla al Rabka Halla (Praeludium) [Incantatum Solistitium]
OriginThe Burner
ValkyrjaThe Vigil
clear.gif

IldraEarendel
SlayerLove To Hate
InfestusReady to Leave
Bon JoviBed Of Roses
clear.gif

BathoryFanfare
Marilyn MansonThe Bright Young Things
VreidEmpty
KreatorCarrion
NightwishAstral Romance

Coffin Ships = just about the song of the decade for me.

New one is supposed to be a step up in quality from Redemption at the Puritan's Hand......I think its released tomorrow in Australia?? JB says it is anyway as my wife ordered me a copy today. Waiting on the new Ghost Brigade to arrive too.

Yeah I always loved coffin ships but didn't get into the rest of the album and then one day it just clicked and now it is one of my all time favourite albums.

I didn't mind Redemption at the Puritan's hand. I bought my copy from Metal blade, I didn't think it would be available at JB. I've got to listen to the album properly all the way through, been a busy few days. Let me know what you think when you get your copy!

Nothing too original here. Have just been rotating Storm of the Light's Bane again in my endeavor to learn to play the whole thing start to finish. Working on Thorns of Crimson Death at the moment but have already forgotten most of Night's Blood and Unhallowed lol.

Recently cheesed it up with synth in the car with a bit of this one though. The entire Polish scene seems like there are 500 bands between only 20 different people.

Nothing too original here. Have just been rotating Storm of the Light's Bane again in my endeavor to learn to play the whole thing start to finish. Working on Thorns of Crimson Death at the moment but have already forgotten most of Night's Blood and Unhallowed lol.

Recently cheesed it up with synth in the car with a bit of this one though. The entire Polish scene seems like there are 500 bands between only 20 different people.

Storm of the Lights Bane must almost have the most riffs per square inch of album I can recall.

Storm of the Lights Bane must almost have the most riffs per square inch of album I can recall.

Lol almost! For black metal anyway. It's more so the riff variations at the end of each phrase. Instead of "play this one for 4 bars than this one" it's more like "play it like this for 4 bars but here are the 4 ending variations before I transpose it 3 steps and you play in half time and accentuate every 5th downstroke." Reinkaos is even more notorious because it is less black mentally and more melodic with some pretty frantic fret work. Great band to work the chops up to. Nodtveidt was a brilliant guitarist, everytime I listen to his stuff I just think how much of a waste it was.

Lol almost! For black metal anyway. It's more so the riff variations at the end of each phrase. Instead of "play this one for 4 bars than this one" it's more like "play it like this for 4 bars but here are the 4 ending variations before I transpose it 3 steps and you play in half time and accentuate every 5th downstroke." Reinkaos is even more notorious because it is less black mentally and more melodic with some pretty frantic fret work. Great band to work the chops up to. Nodtveidt was a brilliant guitarist, everytime I listen to his stuff I just think how much of a waste it was.

I am one of the few who quite like Reinkaos. Very different from the pre jail material and a big, flat letdown for many but I enjoyed the approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always loved having a bash on drums to that album, I just never found anyone else that was willing to follow suit on guitar unfortunately. I'm down on myself that I never got around to giving Reinkaos a go - having recently listened to Storm of the Lights Bane again reminded me that I need to check it out. I do have a few rough mp3's that Dissection/Jon released before the album was out which weren't final mixes I think, and from memory this is what shirked me away from checking out the last album.
He was a brilliant guitarist - the last live DVD confirmed as much, although I did find it a bit of a downer that they downtuned all the back catalog when it came to playing live..

Last edited:
Lots of Reinkaos is downtuned to C# and D, if not all of it, so they were probably just carrying on from that. Can't say it phased me too much though.

The only thing that irks me is now Jon's and Dissection's legacy is in the hands of Watain, a band who I love from Rabid Death Curse to Lawless Darkness but stuff me are they and everything they do pretentious. There was a brief moment I think we all go through like this when I thought "was getting Dissection and Watain tatts good ideas?" but after you realise it is about the music and not the douches all regret is gone.

Lots of Reinkaos is downtuned to C# and D, if not all of it, so they were probably just carrying on from that. Can't say it phased me too much though.

The only thing that irks me is now Jon's and Dissection's legacy is in the hands of Watain, a band who I love from Rabid Death Curse to Lawless Darkness but stuff me are they and everything they do pretentious. There was a brief moment I think we all go through like this when I thought "was getting Dissection and Watain tatts good ideas?" but after you realise it is about the music and not the douches all regret is gone.
Woah, how so??

I was a fan of Watain a number of years ago, but jumped ship for the same reasons you mentioned. I just couldn't stomach some of the bullshit I saw them post on their facebook page in particular.

Woah, how so??

I was a fan of Watain a number of years ago, but jumped ship for the same reasons you mentioned. I just couldn't stomach some of the bullshit I saw them post on their facebook page in particular.

Nothing concrete, just the way I see it. Set Teitan was in Dissection since the rebirth and Erik took over bass juties at the end (I think he was on their Wacken appearance and South American tour?). Because of that and the 'anti cosmic' and MLO bullshit they carry on with I get the impression they think they are now the authority on Dissection. Mate I agree, how obnoxiously pretentious was the Watain Facebook page?! They used to put up posts slagging off bands or people and stuff. I had Darragh from Invictus Records for a long time who was mate with Erik and and some of the s**t he wrote turned me right off him. Sworn to the Dark and Lawless Darkness and still awesome albums though.

Last edited:
Speaking of Black Metal, I'm checking out the new album by 1349, Massive Cauldron of Chaos. Completely caught me off guard this new album, that's how much I follow this band to be truthful. I must say, it's better than Demonoir so far.

1349 fell off my radar. Will have to check that one out at some point.

Anyone tried new Vader? I always see it in JB but am cautious. Granted it won't be another De Profundis (orgasm) or Litany, but as long as its brutal and has nothing that sounds like "This is War."

Anyone tried new Vader? I always see it in JB but am cautious. Granted it won't be another De Profundis (orgasm) or Litany, but as long as its brutal and has nothing that sounds like "This is War."

Vader is Vader mate and therefor ******* awesome. But then again, I am biased towards the band. :D

Yeah been on high rotation the last week. It's pretty enjoyable and just what you would expect. Somehow thought it could be a little heavier/rawer in the production but just a small criticism ( if that's what it is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back