• Julie Bishop

• Scott Morrison

• Andrew Robb

• Someone from the LIberal Party other than those above

• Bill Shorten

• Someone from the Labor Party other than Shorten

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Abbott's team is throwing Hockey under the bus and using the excuse that changing leaders would leave them in the same situation as Rudd/Gillard. The fact they have already been proved to be the biggest of hypocrites and have broken major promises should discount that thinking, and it was Rudd's vengeful reaction to being removed, rather than his removal, that was the real problem. Gillard's numbers were fine until Rudd leaked against her.

That's what Abbott is warning them against, he's letting them know in no uncertain terms that he's going to rat-* them like Rudd rat-****ed Labor if they knife him. Abbott's just Rudd without all the niceties and diplomatic training.

I know there are major problems with Iraq, but eventually they will get tired of all the mayhem and come to their senses that if you want to live in a civil society and their children be free of danger. They will have to lay down their weapons and address their concerns rationally. Surely eventually most will realise it cant continue this way if you want a functioning country, there cant be all that many who would want to continue on this downward spiral.

Gaza.

You are mostly all rabid ABBOTT haters, whatever he did you would still knock him, so you lot have no relevancy as your leaning to the left has tipped you over the edge of being reasonable when it comes to the Liberals. Its the average person in the street Abboott has to appeal to, not you lot as you would spew venom no matter what. So just continue on your merry way thinking its all over for Abbott and the Liberals, but the average guy hasnt got such a short memory when it comes to the Labor/Green circus.
Yep-all the lefty posters are rabid, all the righties are the epitome of fair and balanced-no wuz.:rolleyes:
Yes indeed and the polls suggest that to the 'average person' (whoever that is) Tone's incompetence and hypocrisy has resulted in a loss of appeal.
Thought he was nice to walk in the streets at the funeral the other day and suspect he is a pleasant man away from politics. But he is not up to being PM. Simple.

That's what Abbott is warning them against, he's letting them know in no uncertain terms that he's going to rat-**** them like Rudd rat-stuffed Labor if they knife him. Abbott's just Rudd without all the niceties and diplomatic training.
It does sound that way, but I would've thought Abbott was enough of a Liberal man to not do that. A promise of cushy ambassador roles may not do it, though. If you look at his Knights and Dames stuff, and his chaplain programme, the PPL (which will keep more parents at home, no matter how much they pretend it's about getting people back to work) and now funding for theological training colleges... This guy really does seem to believe in the 'anglosphere' as superior alongside Catholicism. He hopes to change Australia to be more like what he wants it to be.

Abbott's team is throwing Hockey under the bus and using the excuse that changing leaders would leave them in the same situation as Rudd/Gillard.

Turnbull would be the smart choice. Even though all the senior Liberals are prone to gaffes, he is seen as smart and he gives you more of a boost with Swing voters. Bishop is the more likely choice since so many people dislike Turnbull in the party.

That would be the smart choice IMO. He has a lot more to offer & far more experienced. Bishop has baggage in the legal world as has been discussed.

I think Turnbull & Hockey would be a formidable team. Strong economics, less ideology crap & better social policy views than currently on display

Its the LNP's next election to lose. They are currently on track to do just that.

It does sound that way, but I would've thought Abbott was enough of a Liberal man to not do that. A promise of cushy ambassador roles may not do it, though. If you look at his Knights and Dames stuff, and his chaplain programme, the PPL (which will keep more parents at home, no matter how much they pretend it's about getting people back to work) and now funding for theological training colleges... This guy really does seem to believe in the 'anglosphere' as superior alongside Catholicism. He hopes to change Australia to be more like what he wants it to be.
High Commissioner to Britain and a Lordship? Do you think he'll settle for a Baron or will it have to be a Viscount or Earl? Also would he accept only a life-peerage or would he require it be hereditary.

All the talk about Turbull replacing Hockey - can't see why Turnbull would want that position. Currently, he can generally stay clear of the worst of the government's screw-ups.

All the talk about Turbull replacing Hockey - can't see why Turnbull would want that position. Currently, he can generally stay clear of the worst of the government's screw-ups.
His job on the NBN is the worst of the governments screw ups. Most of the other screw up can be rolled back or expunged, Turnbull's NBN plan is actually causing long-term damage to at the very least the places it's being rolled out to.

Treasurer is where he could truly shine and look to make a tilt again. Hidden away in the communications portfolio is no risk, no reward.

My favourite bit from The Presidential Candidate certainly suits the Mad Monks Mentality.Could also help our terms of trade:

'I admit also that I am not a friend of the poor man. I regard the poor man, in his present condition, as so much wasted raw material. Cut up and properly canned, he might be made useful to fatten the natives of the cannibal islands and to improve our export trade with that region. I shall recommend legislation upon the subject in my first message. My campaign cry will be: "Desiccate the poor workingman; stuff him into sausages.'

His job on the NBN is the worst of the governments screw ups. Most of the other screw up can be rolled back or expunged, Turnbull's NBN plan is actually causing long-term damage to at the very least the places it's being rolled out to.
I still think the way Malcolm has swallowed all the crap he has been given (Internet censorship for all of 3 hours being the most obvious) has been his way of demonstrating loyalty. Could he come out and say that was Abbott govt policy and have people accept that? Probably not. And he has still been pretty snide around the edges when people have asked him about Abbott directly. His explanation of the ABC/SBS cuts lie was effectively 'why would he say something that directly contradicted me and Hockey?'. The media framed the explanation as unbelievable word games, but obviously the logical answer to that question is 'Abbott isn't very smart'.

It is just crazy how much this government is doing everything they criticised Labor for. Broken promises, chaotic parliament, disfunction, gaffes, hurting the economy, putting us further in debt, in-fighting, having someone die due to poor policy and no oversight, etc etc. I guess you can even include letting asylum seekers work as another one from today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While not so much a gaffe his insistence on Andrews ensuring the EW link is a worry. It was one of Andrews' key election pillars. The state has voted that it is not wanted in its current format. Much like Abott won government on his elections pillars. He really needs to stop harping on about it.

While not so much a gaffe his insistence on Andrews ensuring the EW link is a worry. It was one of Andrews' key election pillars. The state has voted that it is not wanted in its current format. Much like Abott won government on his elections pillars. He really needs to stop harping on about it.
He wants it badly so he can say he did the 'four core promises'. They are trying to change the narrative (and there are people on BF pushing it too) that the things he consistently repeated were the only real promises. Of course that's stupid, but the 4 things would be: Axe The Tax. Stop The Boats. Stop The Waste. Build The Roads of the 21st Century (whatever that means). One road in Sydney doesn't really sell that, and while I don't follow it closely there are some complications with that road where the public housing that was going to be built to compensate areas for loss of land is now apparently not going to be built...

Yep -they need more ideas. On tv tonight Matthew Guy kept going on about unions this and unions that. And I am thinking well let it go- the libs campaigned on a 'unions are in control of the ALP' platform yet the public voted in the ALP. So they didn't buy it, so give it a spell in that case. Its not going to fly atm at least and you just sound bereft of a clue re how to really challenge.

I just know from first hand expereince the science of politics. Now if Abbott really did junk copayment and uni deregulation (and PPL for that matter) without taking them to an election DD or otherwise - the sharks would eat him alive - cowardly, gutless dingo as well as liar.. So I am surmising he won't do that but would tell the electorate it will get the chance to pass judgement on him and the policies at the election. But no I don't have a crystal ball.
Tell us more KuruJane.

You are mostly all rabid ABBOTT haters, whatever he did you would still knock him, so you lot have no relevancy as your leaning to the left has tipped you over the edge of being reasonable when it comes to the Liberals. Its the average person in the street Abboott has to appeal to, not you lot as you would spew venom no matter what. So just continue on your merry way thinking its all over for Abbott and the Liberals, but the average guy hasnt got such a short memory when it comes to the Labor/Green circus.
The average person in the street wants to strap him to a rocket and launch it into a meeting of Hockey, Brandis and Pyne.
Even your rusted on Lib fan bois, Jones and Bolt are having seizures, not a bad thing, over the reptiles failure.

This chroncally underestimated politician is on the verge of being our next Prime Minister. And one of the more frustrating things out there in voting-land is hearing comments such as "Oh I can't stand Abbott." It's so ignorant, and shows litle understanding of the man. He was laughed at when he became oppositon leader because Labor though they would trounce him. He always proves people wrong. And for those doubting his effectivness as PM, he will prove them wrong too. And the public will eventually see him for what he is: A deeply principled, highly intelligent, man of convicton...

...He has no enemies at all in the Liberal party. He has worked hard and been loyal for years and years and that loyalty hs been rewarded. Yes, I'm sure there are ambitious types - like Turnbull - who want to lead the country, but that doesn't make him an enemy. Abbott has no enemies.

So, if you agree with me, tell me why you like Tony Abbott, and why you think the country will grow to like and respect him.
Bump. :)

Good topic! Long time lurker here who is compelled to comment! Im a young female, being in my late 20s. Im the demographic that Tony supposedly has the most problems with out there in the electorate and so I think its good to hear my view on the man that could very well be Australia's next Prime Minister.

I like Tony, I like him ALOT (if you couldnt tell by my moniker!). I really don't think it's fair to criticise him and or base an entire judgement on him from comments (abortion views etc) he made back in the 1970s/1980s when he was young and inexperienced.He has publicly ruled out making abortions illegal and whatever else he has been accused of saying and doing, its all pure fear mongering from a nervous left who simply fear losing power. All politicians start off being radical, opinionatedand passionate. Julia Gillard was a member of a far left organisation during her University days was she not? People change, and thats a good thing.

Abbott is a street fighter, he is clever, he can rally people together and he has conviction as the opening post mentioned. Noone gives him enough credit or thought as to what he achieved at the last election. He was disciplined, he was measured, he did his job and he worked hard. He does have a tendency to put his 'foot in it' and 'run of with his mouth' but I actually think this typifies his personality more than a lack of credibility or intelligence. To me, he's just someone that says what he thinks and doesnt hold back. He's open, forthright, and I think he's so comfortable with saying exactly what he thinks/feels because he genuinely believes what he says. Isnt that a refreshing change to the minders/press secretarys/factions/unions who stage manage Julia Gillards media/public persona? I think it is.

To say he has enemies these days is a bit of a stretch. The moderates in the Liberal Party have come to like him as he has led the party back on track. The electorate are beginning to like him too as they wonder whatever happened to Kevin Rudd and his 'change' and Julia Gillard and her promise that 'I rule out a carbon tax'. The only ones who hate him are the far left in Australian politics who have short memories as they forget where their own political leaders came from in the past.

He should get rid of this paid maternity leave thing he talks about, I agree with the poster who said that. Im a young woman who will have children in the next 5 years and I dont feel its warranted quite like his policy sets out. He needs to find someone to be his treasurer and deputy over the coming 18 months as the Liberal Party attempts to gain economic credibilty back from the ALP. I think that will be the one thing that could stop Tony Abbott from being PM, its the economic policies that need to be sounded out better, explored, announced, fought for in parliament etc. Tony is not an economist, he needs a Peter Costello/Paul Keating type to help him fight in parliament, out there in the electorate and in medialand. I am also a huge fan of Joe Hockey but I dont think he cuts the mustard as an economist and treasurer. Joe is better suited to education, science and training or health or even work place relations (dare I say it, without work choices killing him with every step he takes).

Finally, I've met Tony Abbott a few times and he comes across 100% better in person than what you get on television and radio. He is always interested in what you have to say, always the first to crack a joke or have a laugh and always very quick to understand what you want from him and whether he can achieve that or not. Budgie smuggler jokes aside he also does alot for the health debate/discussion about obesity. Anyone that has lived and worked in Canberra knows that he is an avid cyclist, runner, swimmer, boxer and in general terms a very fit man.

Australia will vote him in within 18 months. Im sick of hearing facebook and twitter talk about this evil right winger who will ruin the country should he have the chance. Its time for people to stand up and talk about Tony Abbott and give a true and fair indication of who and what he is. The lies and misinformation about him have gone on for too long.
How much did you get paid for this post?

Great thread.
Good topic! Long time lurker here who is compelled to comment! Im a young female, being in my late 20s. Im the demographic that Tony supposedly has the most problems with out there in the electorate and so I think its good to hear my view on the man that could very well be Australia's next Prime Minister.

I like Tony, I like him ALOT (if you couldnt tell by my moniker!). I really don't think it's fair to criticise him and or base an entire judgement on him from comments (abortion views etc) he made back in the 1970s/1980s when he was young and inexperienced.He has publicly ruled out making abortions illegal and whatever else he has been accused of saying and doing, its all pure fear mongering from a nervous left who simply fear losing power. All politicians start off being radical, opinionatedand passionate. Julia Gillard was a member of a far left organisation during her University days was she not? People change, and thats a good thing.

Abbott is a street fighter, he is clever, he can rally people together and he has conviction as the opening post mentioned. Noone gives him enough credit or thought as to what he achieved at the last election. He was disciplined, he was measured, he did his job and he worked hard. He does have a tendency to put his 'foot in it' and 'run of with his mouth' but I actually think this typifies his personality more than a lack of credibility or intelligence. To me, he's just someone that says what he thinks and doesnt hold back. He's open, forthright, and I think he's so comfortable with saying exactly what he thinks/feels because he genuinely believes what he says. Isnt that a refreshing change to the minders/press secretarys/factions/unions who stage manage Julia Gillards media/public persona? I think it is.

To say he has enemies these days is a bit of a stretch. The moderates in the Liberal Party have come to like him as he has led the party back on track. The electorate are beginning to like him too as they wonder whatever happened to Kevin Rudd and his 'change' and Julia Gillard and her promise that 'I rule out a carbon tax'. The only ones who hate him are the far left in Australian politics who have short memories as they forget where their own political leaders came from in the past.

He should get rid of this paid maternity leave thing he talks about, I agree with the poster who said that. Im a young woman who will have children in the next 5 years and I dont feel its warranted quite like his policy sets out. He needs to find someone to be his treasurer and deputy over the coming 18 months as the Liberal Party attempts to gain economic credibilty back from the ALP. I think that will be the one thing that could stop Tony Abbott from being PM, its the economic policies that need to be sounded out better, explored, announced, fought for in parliament etc. Tony is not an economist, he needs a Peter Costello/Paul Keating type to help him fight in parliament, out there in the electorate and in medialand. I am also a huge fan of Joe Hockey but I dont think he cuts the mustard as an economist and treasurer. Joe is better suited to education, science and training or health or even work place relations (dare I say it, without work choices killing him with every step he takes).

Finally, I've met Tony Abbott a few times and he comes across 100% better in person than what you get on television and radio. He is always interested in what you have to say, always the first to crack a joke or have a laugh and always very quick to understand what you want from him and whether he can achieve that or not. Budgie smuggler jokes aside he also does alot for the health debate/discussion about obesity. Anyone that has lived and worked in Canberra knows that he is an avid cyclist, runner, swimmer, boxer and in general terms a very fit man.

Australia will vote him in within 18 months. Im sick of hearing facebook and twitter talk about this evil right winger who will ruin the country should he have the chance. Its time for people to stand up and talk about Tony Abbott and give a true and fair indication of who and what he is. The lies and misinformation about him have gone on for too long.
Fair chance this is a pisstake, but the poster is from WA though.

Back