Round 1 2015 v Geelong. I'm tipping it gets ugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

joshuakburnett

Debutant
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Guys to me it seems that the decline of Geelong, and the recruitment of Frawley, have taken the anticipation out of this match?

Hawkins has provided a rare light for Geelong against us recently, but with Lake, Frawley, and everybody fit... I can see the score really blowing out.

It's kinda sad cause I like the rivalry, but then I'd love to demoralise them right from the start of 2015.

Tipping it early. But I'd hate to be a Geelong supporter right now. A rivalry has been had, now the two teams are going in drastically different directions.

I almost feel sympathy for them.... Almost

Geelong still have the ability to push us and beat us in a game. They won't be a season long threat due to their depth in the ruck and defense. They have 3, not one but 3, injury prone rucks. If they think Clarke and Stanley will fix that they are mistaken. Odd recruiting getting both of them. They also lost significant depth through the middle with Christensen and Varcoe leaving.

Guys to me it seems that the decline of Geelong, and the recruitment of Frawley, have taken the anticipation out of this match?

Hawkins has provided a rare light for Geelong against us recently, but with Lake, Frawley, and everybody fit... I can see the score really blowing out.

It's kinda sad cause I like the rivalry, but then I'd love to demoralise them right from the start of 2015.

Tipping it early. But I'd hate to be a Geelong supporter right now. A rivalry has been had, now the two teams are going in drastically different directions.

I almost feel sympathy for them.... Almost

fa7d713d9a2a2fb1624cc4ee86cad0231dcf07c6288c5f18e8dfa4e0a72466a6.jpg

Who are Geelong's runners next year? It is looking like if you can stop the finger twirler there will not be much after that. I know they don't like Varcoe but he did run. Christiansen did not play much but was obviously missed and is now gone. Unless they have some gems hidden away where is it coming from?

They'll be up for it. While we were no doubt the better team late in 2014 they were suffering more injuries than us. An excuse we've genuinely had reason to use against them in the past and one I have no problem accepting from them for those 2 late games.

The loss of Christensen and the addition of Stanley and Clark doesn't neccessarily improve or weaken them but it certainly will change the way they play. It's too early yet to tell if this works in our favour but 3 months out from the game I am confident we can handle their forwards and beat their midfield.

Somewhere between a 10 point loss and a 30 point win sounds about right at this stage.

They'll be up for it. While we were no doubt the better team late in 2014 they were suffering more injuries than us. An excuse we've genuinely had reason to use against them in the past and one I have no problem accepting from them for those 2 late games.

The loss of Christensen and the addition of Stanley and Clark doesn't neccessarily improve or weaken them but it certainly will change the way they play. It's too early yet to tell if this works in our favour but 3 months out from the game I am confident we can handle their forwards and beat their midfield.

Somewhere between a 10 point loss and a 30 point win sounds about right at this stage.

Many have gone with a forward line stacked with talls before against the Hawks and it usually gets ugly for them.

Many have gone with a forward line stacked with talls before against the Hawks and it usually gets ugly for them.
True but Hawkins is one of the few who has troubled us by himself in the past.
Mitch Clark is a bit of an unknown as to how he comes back. At his best I rate him higher than Podsiadly.
Rhys Stanley is capable of being dangerous on a rare good day. Chances are that rare day will coincide with games against us.

Like I said though, I back our team to handle their forwards. Hawkins should turn up but how well the other two turn up will have the greatest impact on the scoreline. Personally Clark is a 50/50 for me, Stanley I don't think will trouble us (knock on wood).

If you take the qualifying final, they were with us the whole game until the last 10-15 minutes. Their game plan seems to contain our strengths pretty well. Personally I wouldn't write them off just yet, well against us anyway. Like any rivalry ladder positions don't really matter they always get themselves up for us.

Personally Freo is an absolute lock to beat them at Skilled Stadium the week after in Rd 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game of the year, anything can happen. With the AFL looking to penalise blocking more off the ball Geelong's defence may give away a fair few more free kicks as they were the best in the business at it. Lake also very good at it for us.

Either result with be reported to give an unarguable insight into the future.

If we win we are waltzing our way to the flag. If we win we're too old and there's just no motivation anymore.

Our team is that f-ing good on paper though I don't think Geelong can get us.

Either result with be reported to give an unarguable insight into the future.

If we win we are waltzing our way to the flag. If we win we're too old and there's just no motivation anymore.

Our team is that f-ing good on paper though I don't think Geelong can get us.

Game is played on grass and they have had an extra 2-3 weeks conditioning. I don't take too much notice of early season form. It is important to get off to a flyer but not the end of the world. IMO as long as we are no worse than 5-3 after RD 8 we will make a real good fist of it.

If you take the qualifying final, they were with us the whole game until the last 10-15 minutes. Their game plan seems to contain our strengths pretty well. Personally I wouldn't write them off just yet, well against us anyway. Like any rivalry ladder positions don't really matter they always get themselves up for us.

Personally Freo is an absolute lock to beat them at Skilled Stadium the week after in Rd 2.

I am super bored working so here is a interesting stat I looked up;
  1. Including and since 2008 Geelong are 13 and 4 against the Hawks - 76.4% record
  2. 3 of those hawks wins have come from the last 4 encounters.
  3. In the week immediately after playing the Hawks the cats are 10 and 5 (2 less games as the Hawks have been their final opponent for the year twice) - 66.6% record
So the cats have a far superior record over one of the best teams in that period than they do against the rest of the comp. This proves a couple of things;
  1. The cats lift massively for Hawks games
  2. The Hawks hurt them during these games

I am super bored working so here is a interesting stat I looked up;
  1. Including and since 2008 Geelong are 13 and 4 against the Hawks - 76.4% record
  2. 3 of those hawks wins have come from the last 4 encounters.
  3. In the week immediately after playing the Hawks the cats are 10 and 5 (2 less games as the Hawks have been their final opponent for the year twice) - 66.6% record
So the cats have a far superior record over one of the best teams in that period than they do against the rest of the comp. This proves a couple of things;
  1. The cats lift massively for Hawks games
  2. The Hawks hurt them during these games

What are we the week after playing them?

I think this game will give us an indication of how hungry we are in 2015. Geelong is still a formidable enemy and they would love to push onto the back foot early in the season. We will need to play well to win. The first signs of a B2B hangover will be a lack lustre performance in this game.

We could see a completely different line-up in Round 1 compared to our Grand Final side. Players like Litherland, Woodward, Anderson, Whitecross and Hartung will all be desperate to push for a spot in our side and O'Rourke right now is leading the race for a spot in the team. Yes we can't fit them all in but this just makes competition for spots even more stronger now and this also means that we've got good depth.

If Ceglar can continue to improve his game then there's a good chance he may overtake Hale for a spot in the team at some point during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back