Ballon d'Or 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

luiz and thiago silva in the fifa team of the year, ramos and lahm in positions they didn't play

more reasons this award is a joke.

iniesta in midfield ahead of koke, modric and numerous others. hilarious. reputation picking this.
ridiculous. Luiz, Iniesta & Thiago Silva? Lahm has not played a single game at left back and i am fairly sure Ramos the same with right back. Boateng & Godin had much better years than the 2 CB's chosen. Embarrassing. Cristiano makes a fool of himself too lol crazy

Forget all of that, how did Simeone not win the managers award?
I would have chosen Simeone too but I don't think Löw is that undeserving. Germany werent the favourites at the start of the tournament and he had to make a few adjustments as it went on (Lahm to RB etc) and became first non south american team to win in south america.

What the * is David Luiz doing in that team.

I havent watched a ton of Barca but from all reports their has been some kind of imposter running around in Iniesta's shirt for most of the year. That's just what I have read though and yet he made the team?

Lahm doesnt even play at LB anymore?

Im confused. That team is s**t.

Penaldo a worthy winner though, definitely had the best 2014 calendar year. Messi still better overall though.

Bizarre team. Unlike the Ballon d'Or it's voted for by over 50,000 professional footballers so you'd think that by the law of averages you'd end up with a team that more closely resembles an accurate 'World XI' for the previous season wouldn't you? I think the obvious changes I'd make would be Godin in for Luiz, Modric in for Iniesta and Suarez in for Robben.

Here's the 'Reserve XI' for reference:

-----------Courtois----------
Alves-Hummels-Alaba-Marcelo
-----------Alonso-----------
---Yaya Toure--Modric------
Suarez--Ibrahimovic--Neymar

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1785/fi...04302/suarez-named-in-fifpro-world-reserve-xi

That article also kind of explains why players are positionally all over the place in the XI named last night, 'there is no distinction between the specific positions within the lines of play. For example, a player may choose four centre-backs in their vote, rather than two central defenders, a right-back and a left-back'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lmao at Luiz. Barely played a game for us, had a nightmare at the world cup and PSG are underperforming.
They couldn't get Neymar in there and they needed 2 Brazilians.

My team

Neuer
Lahm-Ramos-Silva-Boateng (no real good left back last year so going with 3rd best cb)
Modric-Koke-not sure who gets in here????
Robben-Messi-Ronaldo

Bizarre team. Unlike the Ballon d'Or it's voted for by over 50,000 professional footballers so you'd think that by the law of averages you'd end up with a team that more closely resembles an accurate 'World XI' for the previous season wouldn't you? I think the obvious changes I'd make would be Godin in for Luiz, Modric in for Iniesta and Suarez in for Robben.

Here's the 'Reserve XI' for reference:

-----------Courtois----------
Alves-Hummels-Alaba-Marcelo
-----------Alonso-----------
---Yaya Toure--Modric------
Suarez--Ibrahimovic--Neymar

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1785/fi...04302/suarez-named-in-fifpro-world-reserve-xi

That article also kind of explains why players are positionally all over the place in the XI named last night, 'there is no distinction between the specific positions within the lines of play. For example, a player may choose four centre-backs in their vote, rather than two central defenders, a right-back and a left-back'.
Robben >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suarez

He has, but the Ballon d'Or and World XI looks at performances from just 1 season, and while there isn't much between them in terms of quality Suarez has been better performed during that period.
No he hasn't. He missed how many months of the season? Robben was better in world cup and first half of this season by a mile. Suarez only has the edge on first half of the year but not by that much.

No he hasn't. He missed how many months of the season? Robben was better in world cup and first half of this season by a mile. Suarez only has the edge on first half of the year but not by that much.

Pretty clear that due to the timing of the voting, players are going to largely base their selections on the best performed players from the previous season (ie Aug 2013 - May 2014) in addition to any standout performances from any international tournaments (World Cup, Euro, Confeds etc) held during the summer break. Take Di Maria for example, he earnt his place in the side through his performances in the 2013/14 season, his form for United in the opening 5 or 6 weeks of this season was decent but certainly not at 'World XI' level.

they should change the voting so you can't vote for compatriots of club or country. then we would likely see less of the inane voting of mates which severely devalues the awards.

really regret sitting through the ceremony. a bunch of back slapping and just rubbish. the smoke stuff and the music was embarrassing, and then the actual awards themselves were all cringeworthy and pretentious.

they should change the voting so you can't vote for compatriots of club or country. then we would likely see less of the inane voting of mates which severely devalues the awards.

So you're saying that Messi voting for Di Maria doesn't mean he's coming to United? :(

IMO too many footballers don't take this seriously enough because they either aren't that knowledgeable about things or they're highly susceptible to bias. I think the results would be a lot more accurate and respectable if it was just the top journo's and perhaps the managers too, although there still remains the potential for bias there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back