Bomber suing Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new revelation comes as senior coach James Hird fights to save his job.

Club bosses, including Campbell, are weighing up the ramifications of sacking Hird with two years to run on his $1.5 million-plus contract.

Campbell and club chairman Paul Little summoned Hird to crisis talks at the club’s Tullamarine headquarters on Thursday after the coach defied club orders and lodged a Federal Court appeal.

Hird’s fate at Essendon could be decided at a board meeting on Monday.
And you don't think the media may just be specializing it to sell papers.

Sacking when you are exercising a legal right has a lot more ramifications than releasing something to the media.

In terms of Bomber there is no doubt Little wanted him as coach for 2015 onwards at least from my perspective. I think Caro was on the money there.
Hird has had them over a barrel since he took the 12 months suspension which he was of course paid for. Little and Hird had a meeting post B&F when the speculation was rife Hird was going to be sacked. I assume given Hird had a pending legal matter he may have gone for unfair dismissal.
Little had no right to sack Hird for appealing the decision, that clearly WOULD have been wrongful dismissal. I'm sure Hird's legal representative reminded them of this matter on the morning of the meeting. (This is not to say they shouldn't have sacked him long before that time with justifiable grounds). The information re the CEO and his melatonin/melanotan injections from an "assistant coach" (which could well have been Bomber Thompson, or at least given the impression it was him) could have been a warning shot across the bow of how many more "unknowns" there were to be revealed.

Hird took his suspension with the AFL on the condition that the players wouldn't be suspended for the 2014 season and that Essendon would be playing for points.

That was the threat from the AFL.

There was no conclusive evidence that Hird did anything wrong in 2012 and there still might not be any evidence of it after the tribunal hearing.

He did a good thing for the club by taking that suspension.

If we took PEDs, he should step down. If we didn't, he can coach on.

Either way, he's either been remarkably stubborn or remarkably stoic in the face of some pretty horrible shite.

Little had no right to sack Hird for appealing the decision, that clearly WOULD have been wrongful dismissal. I'm sure Hird's legal representative reminded them of this matter on the morning of the meeting. (This is not to say they shouldn't have sacked him long before that time with justifiable grounds). The information re the CEO and his melatonin/melanotan injections from an "assistant coach" (which could well have been Bomber Thompson, or at least given the impression it was him) could have been a warning shot across the bow of how many more "unknowns" there were to be revealed.
Pffft. When Thompson found out that Robinson was storing PEDs on site he gave it to him with both barrels.

Hird took his suspension with the AFL on the condition that the players wouldn't be suspended for the 2014 season and that Essendon would be playing for points.

There was no conclusive evidence that Hird did anything wrong in 2012 and there still might not be any evidence of it after the tribunal hearing.
Rubbish.

Either way, he's either been remarkably stubborn or remarkably stoic in the face of some pretty horrible shite.
What a load of rubbish. Hird, Reid, Thompson, Robinson, Corcoran and Dank are all as culpable as each other. NONE should be at your club, period.

Coaches get sacked all the time with little or no grounds. I don't think unfair dismissal laws would protect them but they could make a claim for breach of contract. The only reason Essendon wouldn't have sacked Hird, if they really wanted to, would be the cost of paying out his contract, which Hird probably wanted paid out in full plus whatever other damages he might have added on top.

Coaches get sacked all the time with little or no grounds. I don't think unfair dismissal laws would protect them but they could make a claim for breach of contract. The only reason Essendon wouldn't have sacked Hird, if they really wanted to, would be the cost of paying out his contract, which Hird probably wanted paid out in full plus whatever other damages he might have added on top.
All they have to do is wait to see the outcome. I'm sure they'd have an exit clause in his contract should any players be found guilty of using prohibited substances. Mind you, they aren't that good with paperwork...

All they have to do is wait to see the outcome. I'm sure they'd have an exit clause in his contract should any players be found guilty of using prohibited substances. Mind you, they aren't that good with paperwork...

To be honest, I'd be surprised if its that clear cut because they would still have to prove that it was his fault. Even if players get suspended then I reckon its likely the club will still have to pay him out if they want to get rid of him, assuming he doesn't agree to walk without pay.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if its that clear cut because they would still have to prove that it was his fault. Even if players get suspended then I reckon its likely the club will still have to pay him out if they want to get rid of him, assuming he doesn't agree to walk without pay.
ASADA may do the work for Essendon, by issuing him a SCN and getting him banned

Happened under his watch, of course it's his fault. They all have equal shares in whose fault it is. And yes, read my signature. ASADA want all those that allowed this to happen to be penalised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hird wanted to do a good thing by the club he wouldn't have let the program get to the point where it did.

Happened under his watch, of course it's his fault. They all have equal shares in whose fault it is. And yes, read my signature. ASADA want all those that allowed this to happen to be penalised.

He was only the head coach. Clearly, from the matrix organisational structure, that meant he had no responsibility over the players.

Bruce is your friend in understanding the intricacies of management and personnel oversight..

Not arguing whether it was or wasn't his fault. Just saying to sack him the club would have to prove he has breached his contract. Just because players get banned doesn't automatically mean he has. More to the point, if he doesn't believe he has and wants to fight for a payout then the club would have to have the appetite for another legal battle. Most likely outcome in all that in my view would be some sort of negotiated payout for him to walk.

Not arguing whether it was or wasn't his fault. Just saying to sack him the club would have to prove he has breached his contract. Just because players get banned doesn't automatically mean he has. More to the point, if he doesn't believe he has and wants to fight for a payout then the club would have to have the appetite for another legal battle. Most likely outcome in all that in my view would be some sort of negotiated payout for him to walk.

It would be interesting as I doubt Hird would want it in the courts either. Lots of Skeletons would be released

To be honest, I don't even buy that. You all think that Hird is a meglomaniac who has behaved monstrously. Yet what has he really done? Kept his job. How dare he. Not stepped down when the mob bayed for blood? How dare he. Pursued his legal options? What a monster.

And, sometimes coincidences are just coincidences

Knifed AT LEAST four people in the back to save his own sorry arse. And there's a valid argument for six or seven.

THe only honorable course of action was for Hird to step down. Instead he's fought, kicked, eye gouged and squirrel gripped everyone around him. He's demonstrably lied.

And yet the MOB is to blame?

The Hun New Year's cartoon of James standing in the middle of a bomb crater all on his own with a s**t eating grin on his face was a fine piece of commentary.

What do you think about indications then?

Like what does it indicate when Hird goes it alone against the express wishes of both the Club and the players and appeals?

Hird's original application to the court contained a lot of pap about the protecting his players and the Club. All that's left come appeal time is for the court "to permanently prevent the issue of a SCN to James Hird".

Call me simplistic, but when I see a guy kissing the first Million in legal costs goodbye and opening the cash box to begin working through the second Million, and the reason is "to permanently prevent the issue of a SCN to James Hird".

I find that quite compelling.

To be honest, I don't even buy that. You all think that Hird is a meglomaniac who has behaved monstrously. Yet what has he really done? Kept his job. How dare he. Not stepped down when the mob bayed for blood? How dare he. Pursued his legal options? What a monster.

And, sometimes coincidences are just coincidences

He is James Hird, he is Essendon personified ......... that is more than a good enough reason for the HTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back