Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oot-league-on-gold-coast-20150209-139tbj.html

"Sluggish ticket sales for the All Stars game on the Gold Coast are indicative of two things: a concept that has lost a little bit of shine in a market that has lost a lot of interest in rugby league.

The solution to the second part of this malady is a lot more complicated than for the first. And playing the match at CBUS Super Stadium was probably seen as part of that complicated solution - displaying a commitment to the region by staging a blue chip event there.

The simple fact is that the AFL's Suns look like being the first successful, sustainable professional sporting franchise the tourist strip has seen.

Walking out on the area would be an admission of failure on the part of the NRL in an era when it is aiming to take on the AFL, not retreat away from the advancing Sherrins.

But the admission of a new South East Queensland franchise could allow for a tactical withdrawal - a new team playing some games at Robina and some at Suncorp. If you were to ask Discord if that eventuality would be a surprise, I'd say no.

Rugby league needs to either pour resources into the Gold Coast and give it an "unfair" advantage over other clubs or write the area off .... again .... till next time."

it's easy to be 'sustainable' when the governing body is bankrolling you, which is what the NRL should do for expansion sides but won't because narrow minded sydney clubs would throw a tantrum.

The desperation stage is starting to set in now with the local news and radio stations giving out free tickets to the NRL all star match. Goldy news is offering 45 free tickets to the game and the local sports anchor joked that no one would struggle to get in for free.

it's easy to be 'sustainable' when the governing body is bankrolling you, which is what the NRL should do for expansion sides but won't because narrow minded sydney clubs would throw a tantrum.

I don't think we need to go to the sort of lengths the AFL did to ensure new sides are successful. Yes they should get NRL support at grass roots, but I would continue to be anti gifting them the best young players and player in the game, the gimmick that Hunt was at the time (granted he turned out to be not a bad player) and extra salary cap room.

The worst part is, we have Rugby league people continuing to write negative things constantly about the game which the haters lap up like sheep rather than getting in behind it and actually promoting the sport. It makes you wonder if Steve Mascord even knows the price of tickets to the All Stars game.

I don't think we need to go to the sort of lengths the AFL did to ensure new sides are successful. Yes they should get NRL support at grass roots, but I would continue to be anti gifting them the best young players and player in the game, the gimmick that Hunt was at the time (granted he turned out to be not a bad player) and extra salary cap room.

But imagine if these teams weren't gifted players. Yes they look promising, but promise doesn't buy premierships... It's taken a few years for Gold Coast to be considering finals, GWS still yet to get themselves out of the cellar. You can't really compare the drafting strategies of the two leagues.

But imagine if these teams weren't gifted players.

Yep, and I doubt this thread would even exist.

Yes they look promising, but promise doesn't buy premierships...

True, although we've been seeing the effect it's had on the Suns for a while now and even a bit at GWS which was always going to take longer. The GA jnr effect was always going to be immense.

It's taken a few years for Gold Coast to be considering finals, GWS still yet to get themselves out of the cellar. You can't really compare the drafting strategies of the two leagues.

I don't compare them as such, I just don't think Rugby league needs to use that same type of strategy and especially on the Gold Coast who really shouldn't need it anyway. Forcing people to pay over a 100 bucks for tickets to the All Stars game and then dishing out 2 for 1 deals is only going to hurt the game more. Get back to the bloody basics for goodness sake and do it before it's too late.

Yep, and I doubt this thread would even exist.

True, although we've been seeing the effect it's had on the Suns for a while now and even a bit at GWS which was always going to take longer. The GA jnr effect was always going to be immense.

I don't compare them as such, I just don't think Rugby league needs to use that same type of strategy and especially on the Gold Coast who really shouldn't need it anyway.

In a perfect world, they'd come in and you wouldn't even notice they were a new team (ala, the wanderers). But I think it can be (maybe at a stretch) seen as a good sign of the situation in the afl, that club loyalty of the existing clubs has led to the new clubs (particularly GWS) struggle to get players, even after offering clubs lucrative picks and players good money. The picks weren't exactly intended to just get the best kids, but to give the clubs a bargaining tool to get a range of older players from other clubs. Didn't really work, but can't think of anything else really short of giving them a stupidly big salary cap.

Forcing people to pay over a 100 bucks for tickets to the All Stars game and then dishing out 2 for 1 deals is only going to hurt the game more. Get back to the bloody basics for goodness sake and do it before it's too late.

Yeah, feel sorry for people who actually bought tickets. It's ridiculous... Maybe the NRL just want it away from the Gold Coast so up the prices accordingly as 'proof' no-one likes it.

I don’t care about the region....nice quote from the guy.

he suggests that it would suit him more if they went to Brisbane, but doesn't say it will happen. the tittans are not going anywhere......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he suggests that it would suit him more if they went to Brisbane, but doesn't say it will happen. the tittans are not going anywhere......
what im saying is if they do stay and this guy pumps stupid amounts of money into the titans to get the best players then supporters will follow

what im saying is if they do stay and this guy pumps stupid amounts of money into the titans to get the best players then supporters will follow
“That would be a fantastic idea to move the Titans north. They are not going to get enough support on the Gold Coast, but having two Brisbane teams, you can be guaranteed that the two fixtures, a derby against the Broncos, will create a massive interest.

“I don’t care about the region, what I do care about is that it needs to be the right opportunity for me.

Doesn't sound like a man willing to invest in a team on the Gold Coast...

I took that to mean he doesn't care where the club hes buying is based, he just wants to own one.

if hes not full of hot air and wants a club the titans are his only opportunity, but they won't be relocated.

I took that to mean he doesn't care where the club hes buying is based, he just wants to own one.

if hes not full of hot air and wants a club the titans are his only opportunity, but they won't be relocated.
therefore could be an issue for us on the gold coast.

How are people taking this for anything other than what it actually is? Look at what he's saying.

• He was interested in investing in the broncos but is now considering his options..
  • He isn't interested in a minority ownership.
  • He asks why the NRL hasn't moved the titans to brisbane.
  • He thinks it would be a "fantastic idea to move the titans north."
  • He doesn't believe there is a market on the gold coast and "doesn't care" about the gold coast.
  • He is only interested in an NRL team to make money and already believes he can't on the gold coast.

Come on guys! This guy would obviously move the titans to brisbane in an instant if he got majority ownership. It would be a nightmare for the gold coast league fans if this guy got a hold of the ownership.

Last edited:
Now there is a strong rumour in the media that greg bird wants to leave the titans. He is one of their best players and was captaining the club until he decided to urinate in public.

Honestly I don't know how the passionate supporters put up with this. There seems to be a problem with the club coming out every week.

Now there is a strong rumour in the media that greg bird wants to leave the titans. He is one of their best players and was captaining the club until he decided to urinate in public.

Honestly I don't know how the passionate supporters put up with this. There seems to be a problem with the club coming out every week.
Cue bigleague

Only a matter of time.

What do you think about that guy trying to take ownership? I'm certain he would do everything in his power to relocate the titans to brisbane if he got the power.
I reckon if his only intention is to move the club to Brisbane, he'll have to go up against the NRL to do it - and I can't see someone going to all that effort without a guarantee or deal prior to purchase. I can't see it happening, personally.

The SUNS haven't even reached final form yet, haha. If the Titans follow the current trajectory, and so do the Suns, then we might see the Titans moved from the GC in a decade - maybe 5 years. I can't really see the NRL pulling an expansion club this 'early' (relatively speaking) into its life.

What's it got to do with me?
Just mucking around mate :p

The all star game was mentioned on the Goldy news again tonight. The NRL CEO was in town and refused to say the game would return to the city and all indications were that the crowd would be poor. Then they offered more free tickets after the segment was over. Then during the commercial break the QLD news anchor said watch to find out how to win free season tickets to every titans game.

The SUNS haven't even reached final form yet, haha. If the Titans follow the current trajectory, and so do the Suns, then we might see the Titans moved from the GC in a decade - maybe 5 years. I can't really see the NRL pulling an expansion club this 'early' (relatively speaking) into its life.
That has to be the biggest concern for them. Trends suggest it's about to get a lot worse for the titans. It reminds me a little bit of back in the day when you could buy a cheeseburger at maccas in surfers paradise and you would get a ticket to a brisbane bears game with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back