Universal Love GC2015's man cave of Gold Coast SUNS positivity

Remove this Banner Ad

Was never quite sure what Lukos detractors expected from a 20 yo 6’5” kid ?
Good God he played every single game in his first year!!!
We don’t need to compare that to Andrew
What he does at his height in terms of age skill speed and footy nous is pretty fantastic
I called him as our Breust Smith or Gunston
Long way to go but he’s tracking
Don’t underestimate resilience and recovery in a champion athlete either
Jack rarely listed on the injury sheet
Would have preferred a Bont clone but hey

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, most Luko bashers and his new role here or in media became a bit quiet.

For me the most surprising is how committed he seems to be to the club, teammates. I did not expect that.

Last edited:
Yeah, most Luko bashers and his new role here or in media became a bit quiet.

For most the most surprising is how committed he seems to be to the club, teammates. I did not expect that.

Same, he comes across as apathetic at times but the passion in his face comes out when he kicks a goal.

Same, he comes across as apathetic at times but the passion in his face comes out when he kicks a goal.
I always loved watching him. IMO, very smart, understands the game. Teammates finally start to see him a bit more in great positions. Just hope he improves set shots. He seems adjusted run (longer) and kicks through with more power but man if he kicked only a couple more goals against Freo, what it could be.

I always loved watching him. IMO, very smart, understands the game. Teammates finally start to see him a bit more in great positions. Just hope he improves set shots. He seems adjusted run (longer) and kicks through with more power but man if he kicked only a couple more goals against Freo, what it could be.
Yeah but how exciting is it to have a 22 year old on our list who can already play this well and is committed to us long term? Seriously hit the jackpot here (pun intended).

In terms of the way Luko can influence a game, he's probably the closest I've seen to Gary Ablett Jr of all players that have donned the red and gold. Put the ball in his hands and you just know good things are going to happen and that's the same kind of feeling I had when I used to watch GAJ running around at Carrara.

Like all young players (particularly tall players) he’s got to continue to find a way to contribute if things aren’t going his way.

Rounding out his game by getting stronger allowing him to take a contested mark or two / game.

Suring up his goal kicking so he can make the most of his chances

are both a great ways to do that.

You can see how incredibly smart he is on field and how he can get a bit frustrated when his teammates can’t quite see what he can.

More time playing together will only help that synergy.

Yeah but how exciting is it to have a 22 year old on our list who can already play this well and is committed to us long term? Seriously hit the jackpot here (pun intended).

In terms of the way Luko can influence a game, he's probably the closest I've seen to Gary Ablett Jr of all players that have donned the red and gold. Put the ball in his hands and you just know good things are going to happen and that's the same kind of feeling I had when I used to watch GAJ running around at Carrara.

Not sure about the GAJ comparison lmao

Purely in terms of ability to influence a game. They are obviously very different players who play very different positions.

Yeah nah. Luko has a long way to go in terms of influence. Odd comparison.

Yeah nah. Luko has a long way to go in terms of influence. Odd comparison.
He's not a finished product like Gaz was when we recruited him so of course he has a way to go to catch potentially the best player of all time, but it was pretty obvious in the Geelong and Fremantle games that Luko was the most influential player on the ground. I guess you could argue Touk was very influential last year too but we're never going to see Touk hit a teammate lace out who is 55 metres away in the forward line and Luko can do that multiple times in the same game. It's very rare to have that ability and it can be extremely influential if used correctly. I think we're just starting to scratch the surface in terms of Luko's ability to influence a game and that's very exciting!

Got to say Darcy Macpherson is getting better in his role every week.

He was looking like becoming a good small forward until he fractured his leg in that Q Clash in 2018 ever since then he’s just been floundering around as an average or below average player in and out of the side to pretty much on the scrap heap where the club was happy for him to go to get his salary off the books and he could see his opportunities diminishing so had a look around and decided he’s better off staying where he is.

Now his switch to the backline over the off season has been a masterstroke similar to when they moved Liam Jones from forward to back at Carlton.

Will be interesting to see how he continues to improve as he gets more experienced in the position with his quick short bursts of pace and ability to get his hands to the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to say Darcy Macpherson is getting better in his role every week.

He was looking like becoming a good small forward until he fractured his leg in that Q Clash in 2018 ever since then he’s just been floundering around as an average or below average player in and out of the side to pretty much on the scrap heap where the club was happy for him to go to get his salary off the books and he could see his opportunities diminishing so had a look around and decided he’s better off staying where he is.

Now his switch to the backline over the off season has been a masterstroke similar to when they moved Liam Jones from forward to back at Carlton.

Will be interesting to see how he continues to improve as he gets more experienced in the position with his quick short bursts of pace and ability to get his hands to the ball
Having a reliable? Best 22 player on a relatively low salary for the next few years (pic end 2024?) certainly helps the books.

So many positives to take from the Demons game but I think the one that we can all appreciate was the four quarter effort we saw against genuine top 4 opposition.
I’m happy about our fight back in each quarter when Demons gained ascendancy. Wish we could start a bit stronger and those last minute goals against us in quarters still hurt and happen too frequently, but the fact we got to a draw at 3/4 time was inspiring.

Even until the final seconds we were trying to win as hard as I have seen. Had the crowd up and about and the Demons players and fans quite rattled.

We just recorded our biggest ever win outside of Queensland.

We're 2 points behind 8th place at the moment.

We've won 3 of our last 4 games and our sole loss was to the 2nd placed Demons by 5 points.

We now have a positive percentage for the first time this season.

Rowell and Anderson are living up to their draft hype. Superstars in the making.

King is a stud. Has kicked 15 goals in his last 4 games.

Luko is really settling into his connector role now as well as hitting the scoreboard when he gets the chance.

Ballard is playing unbelievable footy. Could make a legit argument he's the best interceptor in the league now.

We're doing all of this without Touk.

Role players like Macpherson are stepping up.

Need I add more positives?

Last edited:
Josh gabelich is one of the newish afl website journos. Collingwood nuffie. Obviously ivc focussed but I didn’t mind him.

Until this week they were discussing potential All Australian key defenders.

He said
1. Wilkie
2. Moore
3. Andrews

All fair enough.
But then discussed a number of others including bloody esava ratagolea as smokies..

No mention of Charlie of course. Was fuming!

To his credit he did mention littleknown jack Buckley from GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back