IINET Sucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Well IINET speeds I have been experiencing has been shocking.

During the day I have download speeds between 5kbps/30kpbs and that is Shocking for ADSL 2 and almost as slow as bloody Dial Up.

I don’t at the NBN in Somerville for another 2 Years:mad:

Anyone else have the Slow Speeds for there Internet?

Have you called them regarding this issue and if so what did they say?

What are the expected speeds for your exchange? Plus is your exchange part of iiNet's DSLAM network?

http://www.iinet.net.au/iinetwork/coverage.html

With Speed depending if your on their DSLAM network or not, restricts what they can do. If your off their DSLAM network your basically getting Telstra Wholesale's resold copper ADSL and there isn't much iiNet can do as Telstra Wholesale aren't willing to keep the copper network anymore up to date than barely working to save money until the NBN arrives in areas that are getting it.

Last edited:
I have no Idea what speeds we should get but at it’s fastest I seen it download at 1.5mbps.

I have no idea about DSLAM or Not.

How can I check it?

That info I got from IINET:

The telephone number you supplied supports a Off-Net ADSL1 & 2+ connection with speeds up to 20/1Mbps. Please choose from one of the Off-Net ADSL1 & 2+ plan options shown below.

Check the link above, show all the exchange iiNet have their on DSLAM's install at (scroll down and pick VIC or put in your Phone Number in the area provided)

That will tell you the name of your exchange and if your on iiNet equipment or Telstra Wholesale equipment.

From there you'll be able to move forward with the issue and also the blame

Check the link above, show all the exchange iiNet have their on DSLAM's install at (scroll down and pick VIC or put in your Phone Number in the area provided)

That will tell you the name of your exchange and if your on iiNet equipment or Telstra Wholesale equipment.

From there you'll be able to move forward with the issue and also the blame

I did that and what I put in the Quote is what was said.

I just rang IINET and just waiting for a Call Back so I can ask about the Pathetic Speeds I am getting

That info I got from IINET:

That means your on a resold Telstra Wholesale connection and NOT a iiNet DSLAM. Your on a ADSL connection that can be boosted to ADSL 2 speeds with a turbo pack and thus 1.5mbps is considered a serviceable speed (I know this as I'm in the same boat with iiNet). Any slower and its a fault that iiNet need to follow up with Telstra Wholesale.

Your issue is likely a congestion issue.

I would suggest strongly contacting iiNet support because even though there isn't much they can do if its a congestion issue, you want to check all areas and make sure there isn't a fault or issue elsewhere (modem, cable at your end or wifi network) that is causing the issue and thus get your speed a slight improvement.

That means your on a resold Telstra Wholesale connection and NOT a iiNet DSLAM. Your on a ADSL connection that can be boosted to ADSL 2 speeds with a turbo pack and thus 1.5mbps is considered a serviceable speed (I know this as I'm in the same boat with iiNet). Any slower and its a fault that iiNet need to follow up with Telstra Wholesale.

Your issue is likely a congestion issue.

I would suggest strongly contacting iiNet support because even though there isn't much they can do if its a congestion issue, you want to check all areas and make sure there isn't a fault or issue elsewhere (modem, cable at your end or wifi network) that is causing the issue and thus get your speed a slight improvement.

I have rang them and to see IF anything can be done.

The Congestion Issue could make sense as I have found the best time for Downloading is Off-Peak which is about 11pm to about 8am. That is not as many people using the net then and same during the Working Hours during the Week.

Though I have rang to see IF it could be anything else be the issue.

Just have to wait 2 years for the NBN and hope that is better

I have rang them and to see IF anything can be done.

The Congestion Issue could make sense as I have found the best time for Downloading is Off-Peak which is about 11pm to about 8am. That is not as many people using the net then and same during the Working Hours during the Week.

Though I have rang to see IF it could be anything else be the issue.

Just have to wait 2 years for the NBN and hope that is better

Well good luck. For your sake I hope its a fault so you have a positive result, as congestion is wait for Telstra Wholesale and see when they can be bothered resolving the issue for your entire exchange (you wouldn't be the only person effected by congestion on the exchange).

Okay I rang them and the Lady did not have a ton of clue but She is going to get try to let me Borrow one of there Modem’s from the Fault Team to see IF the modem is the Problem(Which I highly Doubt) and IF that does not work then they will send someone out from the Fault team to check it out personally

Well IINET speeds I have been experiencing has been shocking.

During the day I have download speeds between 5kbps/30kpbs and that is Shocking for ADSL 2 and almost as slow as bloody Dial Up.

I don’t at the NBN in Somerville for another 2 Years:mad:

Anyone else have the Slow Speeds for there Internet?

Why are you surprised? It's iiNet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard they where one of the Better IP’s. Better then Dodo which I heard is the Worst

I thought they were too, however my experience with them once I got migrated onto their systems after they took over my old ISP was pretty ordinary. It wasn't an uncommon problem either and for the most part they didn't want to take responsibility. My new ISP has also been bought by them but it sounds like their systems are too complex to be migrated into iiNet.

I thought they were too, however my experience with them once I got migrated onto their systems after they took over my old ISP was pretty ordinary. It wasn't an uncommon problem either and for the most part they didn't want to take responsibility. My new ISP has also been bought by them but it sounds like their systems are too complex to be migrated into iiNet.

Well I was use to be on Netspace but like you IINET, Still Use netspace e-mail address.

That could be a Possible thing that could be happening

Speeds I got just now:

s6ozs8.png

Why are you surprised? It's iiNet.

I use iiNet and my speeds are faster than they have ever been. Customer service is better too. They might not be the most knowledgeable people but at least you can understand them. I used to be with Exetel and TPG, their Indian/Sri Lankan call centres were a pain in the ass. Still, it does have its perks .. strike up a conversation about cricket and most of the time you'll be able to squeeze a small discount out of them ;)

I use iiNet and my speeds are faster than they have ever been. Customer service is better too. They might not be the most knowledgeable people but at least you can understand them. I used to be with Exetel and TPG, their Indian/Sri Lankan call centres were a pain in the ass. Still, it does have its perks .. strike up a conversation about cricket and most of the time you'll be able to squeeze a small discount out of them ;)

Though in TPG you might get a not a nice letter from them;)

If I need to download a torrent I'm always behind a VPN. I limit my torrent usage nowadays, however I'm still a regular user. I wouldn't dare seed or host a torrent from my own connection, though. Disaster waiting to happen.

If I need to download a torrent I'm always behind a VPN. I limit my torrent usage nowadays, however I'm still a regular user. I wouldn't dare seed or host a torrent from my own connection, though. Disaster waiting to happen.

I'm also a regular user, mainly for the TV shows which we don't get here as quickly. Every now and then I might grab a movie for the kids but its rare these days. I never seed either its just not worth it. I'd be happy to pay I have foxtel and watch shows like Walking Dead, GOT's etc as they basically are show straight away but its other shows like Brooklyn nine nine and the Goldbergs which are never shown here straight away which is why I use the torrent way.

Can't see this happening, the precedent it would set would be crazy

Depends IF the Government gets involved but Really I say just about everyone who has the Internet would have at least Broken the Copyright Law Once

Depends IF the Government gets involved but Really I say just about everyone who has the Internet would have at least Broken the Copyright Law Once

They don't give a s**t about people downloading or viewing the content. It's more the large scale uploaders that they'd ever take action against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back