Player Watch #36 Jeff Garlett - 2017 AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-02-24/jeff-garlett

THE CLUB can confirm that Jeff Garlett was charged with drink driving in July of 2014. As part of this offence, Jeff was also charged with driving on a suspended licence.

Melbourne Manager of Football Josh Mahoney said: "Whilst the offence occurred prior to Jeff joining the Melbourne Football Club, the incident is obviously very disappointing. We have been working closely with Jeff and are pleased with the progress he is making at the Club in terms of his welfare and behaviour. However, his failure to inform the Club of this incident and him being unaware of his scheduled court appearance is extremely disappointing.

"This is a clear setback in terms of the way the Club became aware of the issue and ultimately Jeff is extremely embarrassed about these actions.

“The Club will continue to gather additional information before deciding on the appropriate course of action.”

This matter is now before the courts and Jeff will accept the outcome of the judicial system.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-02-24/jeff-garlett

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i'm struggling to think of a dumber act from a footballer, ever.

Did Jeffy really think no one would ever find out about this?

How do you not just 'forget' about something like that.

I could be wrong, but shouldnt that be something the club should of looked into when thinking about trading for a player with previous issues with the law? Maybe a bit of a background check?

How do you not just 'forget' about something like that.

I could be wrong, but shouldnt that be something the club should of looked into when thinking about trading for a player with previous issues with the law? Maybe a bit of a background check?
You think you can fix a guy, sometimes you can't.

At least he came for nothing, pathetic this may be.

What a *******. Drink driving is a horrible offense, I hate people that do it, and the fact he has hidden this from TWO clubs is really poor.

Hope he gets banished to the VFL for the first few rounds.

Due diligence etc. Begs the question whether he was still on suspended licence at Melbourne, others would surely have realised then assuming he complied.

In any case it's just another *lol situation at MFC.

Do the right thing from now on Jeffrey and kick some friggen goals.

Deeply, deeply shocking. It's almost like he got punted from his old club because they couldn't be bothered repeatedly dealing with his s**t.

Deeply, deeply shocking. It's almost like he got punted from his old club because they couldn't be bothered repeatedly dealing with his s**t.

OMG! Another bunch of doo-gooders on here. Thats just how blackfellas roll.
If jeffy dosent care about his drink driving offence, then wtf should you?
He will get an extra fine, nothing to see here

Not a big deal. Just make sure he gets to the next court date and pay the fine or whatever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OMG! Another bunch of doo-gooders on here. Thats just how blackfellas roll.
If jeffy dosent care about his drink driving offence, then wtf should you?
He will get an extra fine, nothing to see here

Ha, a "do-gooder". That's a first.

I can see why he (and Carlton?) didn't bring it up during trade discussions as that may just have scuppered his chance at staying in the AFL, but it's piss poor not to notify your employers. The club would be justified to rip up his contract and send him packing if they want to. He also could get more than just a fine, given he's been charged with drink driving and driving while his license was suspended, so it's obviously not his first day in court.

And if Jeffy doesn't care whether we discuss his drink driving and other off-field convictions, why should you?

This is an issue but you guys are seriously blowing this out of proportion. Garlett wasn't going to magically going to get his head on straight as soon as we recruited him, sorting out his personal issues had to be a long term project. As long as the club deals with this professionally and helps Garlett sort out his issues so that he can get back to playing good football I'll be happy.

I
Ha, a "do-gooder". That's a first.

I can see why he (and Carlton?) didn't bring it up during trade discussions as that may just have scuppered his chance at staying in the AFL, but it's piss poor not to notify your employers. The club would be justified to rip up his contract and send him packing if they want to. He also could get more than just a fine, given he's been charged with drink driving and driving while his license was suspended, so it's obviously not his first day in court.

And if Jeffy doesn't care whether we discuss his drink driving and other off-field convictions, why should you?
it wasnt just directed at you, (although your post was over the top), but in general for everyone to take a breath. A week ago he kicked 4 and everybody was stoked, now in this thread we've got people quoting the melbourne curse ffs.

I

it wasnt just directed at you, (although your post was over the top), but in general for everyone to take a breath. A week ago he kicked 4 and everybody was stoked, now in this thread we've got people quoting the melbourne curse ffs.

Over the top? I don't see how. I was expressing my surprise that upstanding citizen Jeff Garlett had managed to get himself into trouble.

I guess we should give the guy some leeway. It must be hard for him to keep track of all the court dates.

Had the offence occurred now i would have been furious, but seeing how this was committed at his time at Carlton and he has simply lost track of his court date time, i'm ok with a simple nature of this scenario. Although as a club sanctions will still need to be imposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back