Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an optimal point for bar placement on chest for bench press. Or is it different for everyone. I was feeling sluggish today and my placement is usually 1-2cm below nipple, but i changed it 2-3 above nipple and felt a massive surge in power. Feels really good

stupid questions incoming...

Some bloke on the Lions board curls 70kgs... made me feel inferior so I was just wondering best way to increase my bicep curls?... I don't train them much at all maybe once a week for a few sets but not dedicated...

Second question... when I usually do train them I do 30 kgs for 22/12/10 (all to failure)with 30-40sec break... really need to increase that but I am more concerned as to why my reps fall away so fast. note my diet is fine.

Some bloke on the Lions board curls 70kgs... made me feel inferior so I was just wondering best way to increase my bicep curls?... I don't train them much at all maybe once a week for a few sets but not dedicated...

Second question... when I usually do train them I do 30 kgs for 22/12/10 (all to failure)with 30-40sec break... really need to increase that but I am more concerned as to why my reps fall away so fast. note my diet is fine.
I never really did biceps either but just started doing them again. I can't do it with a straight bar cos my joints hurt too much. I use the curl bar against the wall, it feels much better and isolates biceps better for me than the seated one.

I am weaker than I thought so join the club. I hit 42.5kg for 5 reps against the wall the other day. Hoping to hit 50 soon. I ve been told only to do 1 workout per week. ATM I'm doing sets of 5, until I hit a weight of 3 and then build up to say 3,3,3, 4,3,3 5,3,3 5, 4,4 etc, until I finish the set. I'm going for strength though and size. Not sure whats the best sizing workouts.

Is there an optimal point for bar placement on chest for bench press. Or is it different for everyone. I was feeling sluggish today and my placement is usually 1-2cm below nipple, but i changed it 2-3 above nipple and felt a massive surge in power. Feels really good

i'd say the nipple area myself but it depends on the structure of your shoulder...going too far up enters the impingement zone for the shoulder which you've had issues with in the past as well as a fair bit more trap involvment at the expense of stabilisation through the lats

probably not a long term fix

and you're doing smolov you're supposed to feel s**t

hey the world record for deadlifts is over 1000pds - are you gonna work up to that too?

do not care what someone else is doing, or have said they've done - it means s**t - unless you love getting caught up in that rot to the point that it runs your life

as for the curls reps bit rest longer but there's a huge difference between more reps (strength endurance) and more size where it doesn't matter what sets/reps you do really it's all about muscle tension, stress and damage

hey the world record for deadlifts is over 1000pds - are you gonna work up to that too?

do not care what someone else is doing, or have said they've done - it means s**t - unless you love getting caught up in that rot to the point that it runs your life

as for the curls reps bit rest longer but there's a huge difference between more reps (strength endurance) and more size where it doesn't matter what sets/reps you do really it's all about muscle tension, stress and damage

Agreed and also without seeing his form its hard to be impressed. If he someone curls 70kg with strict form for 6 reps full credit, but really your average gym goer could horribly force a few reps out at 70kg. Halve the weight for slightly more reps with good form is far more beneficial.

i'd say the nipple area myself but it depends on the structure of your shoulder...going too far up enters the impingement zone for the shoulder which you've had issues with in the past as well as a fair bit more trap involvment at the expense of stabilisation through the lats

probably not a long term fix

and you're doing smolov you're supposed to feel s**t
I actually felt pretty good, and my shoulder has been good for quite some time now.

Agreed and also without seeing his form its hard to be impressed. If he someone curls 70kg with strict form for 6 reps full credit, but really your average gym goer could horribly force a few reps out at 70kg. Halve the weight for slightly more reps with good form is far more beneficial.
honestly I can't see myself at all curling 70kgs... I highly doubt any average gym goer could dumb bell curl 70kgs... I max out at 35kgs and I thought I was fairly strong considering I'm a whippet. Hardly ever see people at the gym doing 40kgs+ let alone 70kg lol

honestly I can't see myself at all curling 70kgs... I highly doubt any average gym goer could dumb bell curl 70kgs... I max out at 35kgs and I thought I was fairly strong considering I'm a whippet. Hardly ever see people at the gym doing 40kgs+ let alone 70kg lol
70kgs is probably barbell, not dumb bell.

70kg dumbbells. Do they even make them?

Have you actually seen him curl the 70kgs?

If he's like some in the gym there's every chance he's giving his back more of a workout than his bis.

Couldn't be dumbbells, I've never seen a 70kg dumbbell! I bench 8-6-4 going 90-100-110 and I do 25kg bicep curls. Is this guy superman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still powerlifting are you?

d1 - ohp, squat me
d2 - bp, dl de (jumps, etc like you said)
d3 - ohp, squat de
d4 - bp, dl me

spread other assistance stuff over the week

still powerlifting are you?

d1 - ohp, squat me
d2 - bp, dl de (jumps, etc like you said)
d3 - ohp, squat de
d4 - bp, dl me

spread other assistance stuff over the week
Yeah mate, it's the only thing that is interesting me at the gym at the moment.
My total lift for the three is just over 1100lbs and that was about 8 months ago. I've been making improvements in the 3-5 rep range ever since so I'm keen to go back and test them out again.

Sorry what is the me/de stand for?

70kg would be total, so a 20kg barbell with 25kg each side, i've only seen one bloke ever do it. But seen a few guys do a lot more online.

70kgs is probably barbell, not dumb bell.

70kg dumbbells. Do they even make them?

Not in your every day gym, but i was at 5 Star gym in thomastown (if you are in vic) and they have 90kg dumbbells. :eek:

I have a question about 5/3/1
I've started my second cycle this month and currently in my second week, I've noticed that my max reps has dropped off a fair bit from week 1. I pushed out 24 deadlifts week 1 in cycle two but this morning I struggled to get 16, similar circumstance with the press yesterday. I have dropped a fair bit of weight from my 1RM to work on form so hence the high numbers, I'm not sure if my secondary excessive are fatiguing me too much but I do realise I'm unable to eat 6+ decent meals a day that is recommend for the progaram also.

tried cleans once but s**t flexibility and struggled to get under the bar. Wasnt that keen on it. Goodluck, what club?

Adelaide weightlifting club - I think there are only 2 clubs in Adelaide that aren't crossfit based.

I have been working on my flexibility for about 6 months in preparation for it. Also, the weightlifting shoes should not be underestimated. Makes such a difference for deep squatting. Obviously early days, but I'll let u know what the numbers are like every month or so.

I have a question about 5/3/1
I've started my second cycle this month and currently in my second week, I've noticed that my max reps has dropped off a fair bit from week 1. I pushed out 24 deadlifts week 1 in cycle two but this morning I struggled to get 16, similar circumstance with the press yesterday. I have dropped a fair bit of weight from my 1RM to work on form so hence the high numbers, I'm not sure if my secondary excessive are fatiguing me too much but I do realise I'm unable to eat 6+ decent meals a day that is recommend for the progaram also.

you did 24 reps for your max reps set last week?

your assistance is exactly - lifts to assist lifting bigger numbers i the main lifts...you shouldn't be overly drained from these sessions...it's about volume and submaximal lifting...your only maximal lifting is the as many reps as you can sets for each lift each week...otherwise you;re getting all the reps with 1 - 2 reps left in the tank

if you can't eat 6 meals (which isn't essential) then eat more at what meals you do have, especially pre workout

Adelaide weightlifting club - I think there are only 2 clubs in Adelaide that aren't crossfit based.

I have been working on my flexibility for about 6 months in preparation for it. Also, the weightlifting shoes should not be underestimated. Makes such a difference for deep squatting. Obviously early days, but I'll let u know what the numbers are like every month or so.
Cool, I was going to go there once, I didn't even take notice of your profile, and you're from Adelaide. Come and have a drink with me at the footy this season we can talk weights and progress, I go on my own so I get bored as * sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back