Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Going 2-3x per week now. Legs, Push, Pull.

squats 4-5x3-5
Lunges/leg press 3 x 8-15
Stiff leg dead 3 x 8-15 (usually one leg)

Bench 4-5x3-5
Shoulder press 3 x 8-12
Close grip bench or Drips 2 x 8-15

Bent over Rows 4-5x3-5
Pullups 3x 8-10
Chinups or close grip rows 2 x 8-15

Thoughts?

firstly that hairdo is terrible

leg day - if squats is your main movement then hit the posterior chain with your other 2 movements, you won't need leg press after squats really

push day - you don't need 3 presses and is the problem with push/pull splits - do you think you could those close grip presses better if you hadn't done 2 other presses before? i think so

pull day - pull ups/chin ups first always as you can't make them easier

so why ot do a push/pull/leg everyday for 3 days that way you can hit each exercise as hard as you can each time?

Well 2nd time around on the Smolov JR for week 2 and absolutely nailed the 8X4. Be interesting to see how the 10X3 go tomorrow.

Fail and its off to rack pressing and close grip bench and everything else.

Then a series of 5-3-1s

firstly that hairdo is terrible

leg day - if squats is your main movement then hit the posterior chain with your other 2 movements, you won't need leg press after squats really

push day - you don't need 3 presses and is the problem with push/pull splits - do you think you could those close grip presses better if you hadn't done 2 other presses before? i think so

pull day - pull ups/chin ups first always as you can't make them easier

so why ot do a push/pull/leg everyday for 3 days that way you can hit each exercise as hard as you can each time?

Thanks! What other posterior chain movement should I do?

Hmm, in that case I'll cross off close grip and just do two presses.

Bent over rows are my progressive strength lift, so I want to hit them first. Plus I can always use one of those giant elastic bands or a pullup machine if I'm too tired.

The reason I choose to designate a day to each is because I like to start each power movement feeling fresh. Also wasn't as taxing, I'd feel burnt out before training or I'd struggle to get motivated to hit the next workout.

bilateral post chain - rdl's, swings, glute ham raises, sliding leg curl variations, hip thrusts

unilateral post chain - reverse lunge, rdl, bulgarians could go in that list if you keep a vertical shin

and it still the same volume so it should burn you out at all...you recover in 48-72hrs then if you don't train again then the muscle starts to atrophy again until you train it again some 90hrs later

bilateral post chain - rdl's, swings, glute ham raises, sliding leg curl variations, hip thrusts

unilateral post chain - reverse lunge, rdl, bulgarians could go in that list if you keep a vertical shin

and it still the same volume so it should burn you out at all...you recover in 48-72hrs then if you don't train again then the muscle starts to atrophy again until you train it again some 90hrs later

I'll give it another go and see how it works out. Would I be alright doing 8-11 sets for legs per week during season?

I use the captains of crush, I can easily close the 1 and 1.5 3-5 times with a 3 second rest on the right hand, can't get close on the left hand.

I need to find a way of building my strength toward the COC#2.

Nice! I've only just started using them. When I ordered mine I couldn't even close the 1 at first. It still gives me trouble sometimes, but I seem to be progressing pretty quickly.

Nice! I've only just started using them. When I ordered mine I couldn't even close the 1 at first. It still gives me trouble sometimes, but I seem to be progressing pretty quickly.
I haven't met a guy that can close the 1 straight up. It s a new strength. Its kinda weird but I feel like the 1.5 is easier than the 1. Some days I can close them hard others not. Having a break helps restore strength but.

ATM I'm doing 3X10 with the trainer on both hands daily, then I'll move up.

8 - 11 max sets? no

8 - 11 submaximal sets? sure but

ALright cheers. I'm putting it into practise already, did squats, chinups and miltary press with some core work this afternoon. Was actually a really good workout, I think the mistake I made with my last fbw run was doing all my power movements in one session, by the time it came to the third movement I was cooked.

Out of curiosity, why would another posterior chain exercise be recommended ahead of lunges? I'm thinking of picking hip thrusts from your list as I need to get my glutes working a bit more.

I haven't met a guy that can close the 1 straight up. It s a new strength. Its kinda weird but I feel like the 1.5 is easier than the 1. Some days I can close them hard others not. Having a break helps restore strength but.

Do they help with your grip for things like Rows? Most of the time it's my grip on the 45 or 50kg DB's for 1 arm rows that give out before my back. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they help with your grip for things like Rows? Most of the time it's my grip on the 45 or 50kg DB's for 1 arm rows that give out before my back. :mad:
Deadlifting without straps built my grip up enormously. I used to struggle with the 40's on one arm row and now my grip never falters.
I can also Deadlift 180kg easy with no straps. No chalk, nothing

I got given a set of hand grippers when I was a kid. Not sure what sort of strength/rating they were, but I used to be able to close them by the time I was 8-9 years old. Used to use them to warm up my hands/wrists before playing basketball. Still find that they have good tension now, over 20 years after being given them.

By the time I was in my teens, I had very "sticky" hands, in that once the ball came in (receiving a pass, grabbing a rebound, etc.), it never came out (general hand-eye coordination plays a part in this too, obviously). Had a teammate comment to me at a training session once that it was almost impossible to hit the ball out of my hands. Could also palm the ball due to grip strength in my mid-teens, despite not having particularly big hands for my size. Have never had an issue with grip failure at the gym, either. Not putting it all down to hand grippers, but activating and working these muscles helps more than it hinders IMO.

It might seem like grip strength doesn't have a heap of practical use, but it's probably one of those things you don't notice the value of unless you have it or noticeably don't have it.

So surprizingly I got through to the final week of Smolov, but massively failed the very last day with 1 set of two.

If I do a light week this week before going back to back on Smolov JR (I've read good reports about this) what should I do?
50% sets of 8-10 on back/shoulders biceps and triceps.

Then I'm going
75,80,85,90 (Just failed this one this week)
77.5, 82.5,87.5,92.5 on smolov jr

you weren't doing smolov jr? i thought you were...either way i'd easily give it 12 weeks before doing anything that concentrated for bench again...you don't recover from 4 weeks of hell in 1 week, not even close

low volume and low intensity is your option now but do you need to test again? if so rest a week, retest then do something completely different...those legs must be withering away by now

I was doing the smolov jr, I finished it but not quite nailed it.
Haha, last week I went on a bushwalk and it killed me.

I don't care that much about testing right now.

I was thinking about

Monday
Rack presses and Close grip bench (increasing distance of rack press each 3 week period).
Chin ups/pullups

Wednesday
65% bench
Chest rows
Squats

Friday
Deadlift
Biceps
Triceps

what's the point of doing smolov if not to increase your max then how do you know you have if you don't test it? i'm not seeing the logic here...that program will be waiting for you in a week or 2, it's not going anywhere!

what's the point of 65% bench day? i'd separate the rack and close grip presses...i tired doing lockouts and military or bench on the same day in my most recent program and it didn't work as well as i wanted it to...i did lockouts on their own today and lifted 10% heavier then the other days and the point of them is to use a supra maximal wt, not a maximal or submaximal

what's the point of doing smolov if not to increase your max then how do you know you have if you don't test it? i'm not seeing the logic here...that program will be waiting for you in a week or 2, it's not going anywhere!

what's the point of 65% bench day? i'd separate the rack and close grip presses...i tired doing lockouts and military or bench on the same day in my most recent program and it didn't work as well as i wanted it to...i did lockouts on their own today and lifted 10% heavier then the other days and the point of them is to use a supra maximal wt, not a maximal or submaximal

I've done 92.5kg for 3 reps ONCE and only once before, but this time I was just so sore to do them at 90kg. I'm just not sure I'm going to get 100kg.

Ok, I wasn't sure, thats why I was saying it was an idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back