2015 NAB Challenge - Richmond v Port Adelaide, Lavington, 4.40pm (4.10pm SA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have the worst depth of all top tier clubs. Need too much luck to win the comp, Last year they were the luckiest re injuries they need it to happen again.

That's actually total rubbish. They got their players back when they needed them in the finals, but to suggest we were lucky the whole year is nonsense. 2 out of 3 ruckmen missed almost the entire season, the 2 key defenders (Carlise and Trengrove) missed 5 and 6 games in a row. Monfries out for about 6 or 7 games, Matt white was injured for 3 or 4 weeks during that time. Half our side was ill against the 6 point loss to Collingwood. Lots of players also missed half games only to be miraculously fit the next week which happened in a number of their losses. If anything, Port showed today that they have quite good depth. Of the guys genuinely threatening for selection many (Karl Amon, Kane Mitchell, Aaron Young, Jarrad Redden) played pretty well. If anything I am super happy as Port have done their best work when everyone was righting them off over the past 2 years and you can already see it happening again. With some heavy NAB losses, the tough early draw and the likelihood of not having the likes of Wingard, Ryder, Monfries, and Trengrove early, I can see us being 2-3 after 5 and everyone getting off the ban wagon. That's when we will strike.

What about Tony Schiavone telling the WCW audience that Mankind was about to beat The Rock and not to bother changing channels, prompting a mega-ton of people to switch channels to RAW and ending WCW's 50-odd weeks of winning the viewer ratings to never recover again? lol :(

That was the equivalent of WCW having a heart attack. The finger poke of doom, David Arquette title win, all multiple strokes. The mishandling of Bret and the shady win to Sting (the ultimate babyface after an entire year hype) was the death. Then the loss of future champions Eddie, Jericho, Benoit and Mysterio was the final nail in the coffin, they just lost their workhorses and WWE was strong throughout the entire card now with completely fresh match ups. They never could recover, those last few months of WCW were really sad. Steiner, Booker, Nash, DDP, all wrestling in bush league. Going from worldwide superstars to indie guys in just 12 months.

Richmond could've played their young blokes too but they obviously wanted revenge for that pumping last year lol. (True story)

What a load of absolute crap. It's all about player management and given the delayed start to the season we deliberately held back our best players. That is why we played our reserves against the Dogs and introduced our better players today. We have been transparent about that for months.

Do you really think that our entire pre-season, our main focus for 2015 was all set-up so we could dominate Port's B-side in a practice match in Lavington :rolleyes:

Exactly, you don't even have the depth to cover for situations when 16 of your best 22 are out. Rubbish side.

Ok lets take out

Pavlich
Fyfe
Barlow
Mundy
Neale
Sandilands
Mcpharlin
Ballantyne
Walters
Hill
Mzungu
Johnson
Taberner
Mayne
Dawson
Duffield

tah dah! your team would look pretty shit without them.

LOL, I would be more embarrassed by last thursday night's game.

Port just dissed up the most embarrassing performance of the entire NAB Challenge. Don't even bother arguing against that. Every excuse or attempted 'diversion' just makes you look more pathetic.

This is the second post by a Port supporter going on about Tigers getting their hopes up. There hasn't been a single post by a Richmond supporter claiming this win means anything about our season. It's a triumph of archetype over empirical evidence. Also it's a little case, I suspect, of Port supporters protesting a bit too much. Nice photo of Dusty btw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the second post by a Port supporter going on about Tigers getting their hopes up. There hasn't been a single post by a Richmond supporter claiming this win means anything about our season. It's a triumph of archetype over empirical evidence. Also it's a little case, I suspect, of Port supporters protesting a bit too much. Nice photo of Dusty btw.
Must have posted at the same time. Clearly saw the same thing

Any Richmond supporters suggesting that your depth is better?
Would having better depth suggest your hopes of a superior season if injuries strike?

Depth is your top 40. Port has ordinary depth after their top 25. That was evidenced from what we seen today.
Guys like Butcher, Sam Gray, Clurey, Pittard and Moore - were ordinary. Those guys are your depth, they are on the fringe of breaking into the first 22.
But are they finals quality footballers? Absolutely not, in comparison with the depth of say a Hawthorn - or a Sydney - Port's depth is notably inferior.
At the very least, Port need their depth players to be up to AFL standard, and today - we seen that they are not.

I don't mean to be rude, but that is a really shit post. 1) you've deliberately chosen the worst performers 2) you are judging players you have likely not seen on 1 game, a NAB game no less 3) You are not even right.

Redden (3rd ruck) and Harvey (Not really a ruck - 5th ruck at Port at best) went okay in the Ruck against one of the best ruckman. Sam Gray is a rookie ... a rookie! Pittard has always being inconsistent but is a very talented player. Clurey is a barely capped player who is the 4th tall defender. Butcher is no higher than the 4th tall forward, and is close to falling behind Harvey and Mason Shaw. Moore was admittedly disappointing. Mitchell, Stewart, Young, and Amon all had solid games and are probably fighting for 1 maybe 2 spots. Hell, none of them might play round 1 if miraculously the ASADA stuff blows over and Wingard is fit. We have better depth than Sydney seeing though we don't rely on one player to kick a score (or Tippet to have 1 good game out of 10) and comparing us with Hawthorn is silly. They actually have too much depth in KPP (like 4 AFL std ruckmen and about 6 AFL std KPD). They can get away with it because their players buy into their success and accept less money, but there is too much talent in Hawthorn not getting a game.

I don't mean to be rude, but that is a really shit post. 1) you've deliberately chosen the worst performers 2) you are judging players you have likely not seen on 1 game, a NAB game no less 3) You are not even right.

Redden (3rd ruck) and Harvey (Not really a ruck - 5th ruck at Port at best) went okay in the Ruck against one of the best ruckman. Sam Gray is a rookie ... a rookie! Pittard has always being inconsistent but is a very talented player. Clurey is a barely capped player who is the 4th tall defender. Butcher is no higher than the 4th tall forward, and is close to falling behind Harvey and Mason Shaw. Moore was admittedly disappointing. Mitchell, Stewart, Young, and Amon all had solid games and are probably fighting for 1 maybe 2 spots. Hell, none of them might play round 1 if miraculously the ASADA stuff blows over and Wingard is fit. We have better depth than Sydney seeing though we don't rely on one player to kick a score (or Tippet to have 1 good game out of 10) and comparing us with Hawthorn is silly. They actually have too much depth in KPP (like 4 AFL std ruckmen and about 6 AFL std KPD). They can get away with it because their players buy into their success and accept less money, but there is too much talent in Hawthorn not getting a game.

The players I chosen were reasonable, I could've handpicked a dozen others - it wouldn't of mattered. Polec stood out today in terms of class, and a lot of those beneath him were found wanting. Port are lacking depth, I don't expect you to be overly ecstatic about this, which you obviously aren't - I wouldn't be either if I were a Port fan. May I suggest, instead of being ridiculous and directing your frustration at me - that you instead take an honest look at Port's lack of depth. Thanks, I am Jack.

Port just dissed up the most embarrassing performance of the entire NAB Challenge. Don't even bother arguing against that. Every excuse or attempted 'diversion' just makes you look more pathetic.

Whatever helps you sleep at night is fine by me but you should look at getting professional help for your obsession.

The players I chosen were reasonable, I could've handpicked a dozen others - it wouldn't of mattered. Polec stood out today in terms of class, and a lot of those beneath him were found wanting. Port are lacking depth, I don't expect you to be overly ecstatic about this, which you obviously aren't - I wouldn't be either if I were a Port fan. May I suggest, instead of being ridiculous and directing your frustration at me - that you instead take an honest look at Port's lack of depth. Thanks, I am Jack.

The funny thing is, I am actually pretty happy with today's performance. Many of the people who are genuinely threatening to play played pretty well against an almost full strength team who will likely play finals this year. Our depth is as good as anyone's, other than Hawthorn's. Of the best 22 actually on the park today, most are outside players and crummers (AKA Neade and White) and needed the quality to feed them. The others aka Broadbent, Hombcsh, Polec played well enough. Some of the 2nd string (Mitchell, Stewart, Amon, Young) played well. I really don't understand how many people are bagging Port's depth when they were playing all of their rookies, all of their draftees from last year (minus 1 injured), plus a number of guys that really won't get a game.

my eyes are burning reading this.

why am i seeing a freo supporter on here calling us a rubbish side because our youth team lost to a full strength Richmond?

Richmond could've played their young blokes too but they obviously wanted revenge for that pumping last year lol. (True story)

but besides that some people on here must think the season has already started.
Do you really think we played a near full side just to get revenge? You do realise we always planned to play a kids team round 1 and rounds 2,3 a near full team regardless of who we played?

I think the days of truly having depth in every position is gone. Only the truly great teams have top good depth(see hawks'14') and most will struggle with high injury rates, particularly with list sizes these days. If a good depth player(who is in contention for best 22) isn't getting a go for a while, they get headhunted by other clubs with promises of more game time.

Do you really think we played a near full side just to get revenge? You do realise we always planned to play a kids team round 1 and rounds 2,3 a near full team regardless of who we played?

Agreed, each coach has their own approach to pre season preparation and I am sure revenge would be the furthest thing from Dimma's mind.

Loved him as a player and he helped turn the tide for us in the 2004 premiership and I respect him greatly.

I agree that Port's depth is a bit below the likes of Sydney, Hawthorn but I'd say that it's about par with the likes of North, Essendon, Fremantle and Geelong. As the flea said, it's hard to keep good players who aren't getting a gig in your 22 when there are 17 other clubs to select him. Most of the depth players are then filled by talented kids who are waiting to get a crack in the best 22. No wonder Port struggled.

I agree that Port's depth is a bit below the likes of Sydney, Hawthorn but I'd say that it's about par with the likes of North, Essendon, Fremantle and Geelong. As the flea said, it's hard to keep good players who aren't getting a gig in your 22 when there are 17 other clubs to select him. Most of the depth players are then filled by talented kids who are waiting to get a crack in the best 22. No wonder Port struggled.
Good post. The result was pretty much what was to be expected but the lack of composure and intensity of the less experienced players was a little disappointing. However, there were many positives from the game as well and apart from the positive performances of the more senior players, Redden's and Krak's games were good as was Clurey's as a tagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back