2015 NAB Challenge - Richmond v Port Adelaide, Lavington, 4.40pm (4.10pm SA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any Richmond supporters suggesting that your depth is better?
Would having better depth suggest your hopes of a superior season if injuries strike?
I think they were suggesting your depth is a problem as was ours clearly last year. As for injuries striking? Well if we lost Deledio and Maric and Rance and Miles (we lost Jackson last year, who, other than Cotchin, was our best inside mid - we eventually unearthed Miles but not until our season was almost shot) we would obviously struggle.
You lost Carlisle and Trengrove last year for a period and I well remember Port fans explaining away your losses to us and other teams as due to that. They were probably right, but, as a Richmond supporter, I can't help but look back to our game against the Bulldogs two weeks ago. We played with 14-16 players out of out best 22 against a close to full strength Bulldogs team. Their best assets are their midfield and it's no surprise that they slaughtered us there and had a ridiculous dominance in inside 50s. With Rance and Astbury and Chaplin out we should have been slaughtered, especially as they had Cameron and Redpath down there. Yet we were still in front with five minutes to go in the last quarter and Elton, our sixth option for KPD, kept Cameron quiet.
That being said, I don't think our depth problems have been solved - merely improved in one line. But you need to understand why a Richmond supporter, viewing what happened today, from the perspective of what happened to us last year after having finished fifth the year the before, would immediately question your depth.

I think they were suggesting your depth is a problem as was ours clearly last year. As for injuries striking? Well if we lost Deledio and Maric and Rance and Miles (we lost Jackson last year, who, other than Cotchin, was our best inside mid - we eventually unearthed Miles but not until our season was almost shot) we would obviously struggle.
You lost Carlisle and Trengrove last year for a period and I well remember Port fans explaining away your losses to us and other teams as due to that. They were probably right, but, as a Richmond supporter, I can't help but look back to our game against the Bulldogs two weeks ago. We played with 14-16 players out of out best 22 against a close to full strength Bulldogs team. Their best assets are their midfield and it's no surprise that they slaughtered us there and had a ridiculous dominance in inside 50s. With Rance and Astbury and Chaplin out we should have been slaughtered, especially as they had Cameron and Redpath down there. Yet we were still in front with five minutes to go in the last quarter and Elton, our sixth option for KPD, kept Cameron quiet.
That being said, I don't think our depth problems have been solved - merely improved in one line. But you need to understand why a Richmond supporter, viewing what happened today, from the perspective of what happened to us last year after having finished fifth the year the before, would immediately question your depth.

Our depth is fine.

Second week of the NAB Challenge, our senior coach handing the reins to Matthew Nicks, 16 first teamers out for various reasons (rest/injuries/Essendon*) and facing a strong Richmond team. Would've set the line at 50-60 personally.

If for whatever reason we have an injury list as long as your arm while simultaneously losing to the likes of Woodville-West Torrens and Glenelg by 10 goals in May there may be cause for alarm.

Conclusion: 24 hour footy news cycle is so s**t.

I saw a bit of the game, what surprised me the most was seeing Butcher out there. What's the deal with him? Burst onto the scene a few years ago but has hardly been sighted since. Clearly not in Port's best 22 so why are they retaining him?

He has had a lot of injury problems over the past few years. He was probably a bit unlucky last year getting injured and sick around about the time he probably would have got a game. He's a pick 8 who showed promise early. He is probably on his last chance this year though. At the start of last season Port really only had a 1st(Harvey) and 2nd(Shaw) year KPF as backup. With the drafting of all KPP last year, someone is likely to be moved on.

I saw a bit of the game, what surprised me the most was seeing Butcher out there. What's the deal with him? Burst onto the scene a few years ago but has hardly been sighted since. Clearly not in Port's best 22 so why are they retaining him?

He has had a lot of injury problems over the past few years. He was probably a bit unlucky last year getting injured and sick around about the time he probably would have got a game. He's a pick 8 who showed promise early. He is probably on his last chance this year though. At the start of last season Port really only had a 1st(Harvey) and 2nd(Shaw) year KPF as backup. With the drafting of all KPP last year, someone is likely to be moved on.

He's definitely gone at the end of this year, unless he pulls something amazing out of his arse in the next NAB game and a few SANFL games.

I think KH was interviewed during the commentary, said Butcher is still part of Ports plans if he can play like they've seen him play in training. But has a fragile body type which takes his confidence away, also issues kicking.

159 posts mate and perhaps 1-2 posts max where a Richmond supporter has got carried away ... clearly enough for you to pull out the stereotype.
Yeh fair enough
Most Port and Richmond supporters see these games for what they are

And most clubs have sensible passionate posters
............and also a small percentage of stupid trolls

When Kane Mitchell is in your 22 and Butcher is your key position depth you aren't going to be winning premierships. Port still have a long way to go - yet to finish in the top 4 in the regular season.

When Kane Mitchell is in your 22 and Butcher is your key position depth you aren't going to be winning premierships. Port still have a long way to go - yet to finish in the top 4 in the regular season.
However Mitchell and Butcher aren't in our best 22.
Did you see them in any of our 3 finals games, both were uninjured so if best 22 surely we would of played them in the finals:rolleyes:?

However Mitchell and Butcher aren't in our best 22.
Did you see them in any of our 3 finals games, both were uninjured so if best 22 surely we would of played them in the finals:rolleyes:?
How's your reading comprehension I said Butcher was your key position depth. Mitchell played a lot of games last year and he will play afl again this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Shane Ellen is your Full Forward and Aaron Keating is your backup ruckman and you lose 9 home and away games you aren't going to be winning premierships.

Considering our depth is:

Cam O'Shea
Kane Mitchell
Paul Stewart
Tom Clurey
Tom Logan
Sam Colquohn
Andrew Moore
Jake Neade
Nathan Krakouer
Jarrod Redden
John Butcher
Karl Amon
Mason Shaw

We are going ok. Anyone past that is simply 36-45 on our list who we should and never would have to rely on. At most with a lot of injuries you would only need 3-4 of the guys above and 3-4 of those above can definitely hold their weight at AFL level with 18 other AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back