What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's wildly inaccurate. For example, here's a link (click here) to an article by Rohan Connolly from Round 13 2008 where he specifically refers to us as one of five "credible contenders", along with Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood.

In 2009 and 2010 we were media darlings, widely predicted to win the premiership before each season.

Don't bother.

That's wildly inaccurate. For example, here's a link (click here) to an article by Rohan Connolly from Round 13 2008 where he specifically refers to us as one of five "credible contenders", along with Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood.

In 2009 and 2010 we were media darlings, widely predicted to win the premiership before each season.
Great one article. Proves the point entirely. Look guys believe what you wish, you may be right and I'm remembering things poorly. But my recollection was a media talking down to us as opposed to the media darlings tag you've bestowed. It annoyed the * out of me then and it still gives me the shits. So forgive me if I come off curmudgeonly.

Great one article. Proves the point entirely. Look guys believe what you wish, you may be right and I'm remembering things poorly. But my recollection was a media talking down to us as opposed to the media darlings tag you've bestowed. It annoyed the **** out of me then and it still gives me the shits. So forgive me if I come off curmudgeonly.

They liked us, but at the same time we didn't give them much to work with.

On field:
We were talked about a lot going into the season, and one of the flag favourites after Johnno kicked 8 in round 1, the rest was history
Hawthorn took 08 by surprise, Buddy 100
Saints dominated 09 H&A

It wasn't until the 2010 NAB cup when we gave the media something to believe in, and we were premiership favourites for a short while too.

In that time we:
More often than not lose to other top 4 teams during H&A
Finish top 4
Lose our qualifying final
Lose the prelim

Does anybody on here really think that our club doesn't give a rats' arse what the media think and say about us?

The club cares very deeply about these things and spends a huge amount of time and money on our public image. Why? Because it has a direct impact on memberships, support in the community, sponsorships, relationships with government etc. etc.

That's why I care what the media says about us. I don't need my ego stroked by positive media...but the club is very much affected financially and and many other ways.

Does anybody on here really think that our club doesn't give a rats' arse what the media think and say about us?

The club cares very deeply about these things and spends a huge amount of time and money on our public image. Why? Because it has a direct impact on memberships, support in the community, sponsorships, relationships with government etc. etc.

That's why I care what the media says about us. I don't need my ego stroked by positive media...but the club is very much affected financially and and many other ways.
Thanks Mutt. My thoughts exactly.

They liked us, but at the same time we didn't give them much to work with.

On field:
We were talked about a lot going into the season, and one of the flag favourites after Johnno kicked 8 in round 1, the rest was history
Hawthorn took 08 by surprise, Buddy 100
Saints dominated 09 H&A

It wasn't until the 2010 NAB cup when we gave the media something to believe in, and we were premiership favourites for a short while too.

In that time we:
More often than not lose to other top 4 teams during H&A
Finish top 4
Lose our qualifying final
Lose the prelim
Johnno kicked 8 in round 1 of 2007 yet due to injuries and poor form we finished bottom 4.
We also took 08 by surprise after we were widely tipped for the spoon, yet the Hawks and Cats received the dream grand final coverage despite the fact that we beat the Hawks in our only regular season match. That is but one example. Imagine the Pies or Blues going from cellar dwellers to top 4 in a single preseason, would they have been treated as also rans?

Great one article. Proves the point entirely. Look guys believe what you wish, you may be right and I'm remembering things poorly. But my recollection was a media talking down to us as opposed to the media darlings tag you've bestowed. It annoyed the **** out of me then and it still gives me the shits. So forgive me if I come off curmudgeonly.

I could post every article from that season if you like, but I think the one that directly contradicts you suffices.

In 2008 we were coming from nowhere. No one was crowning the Tigers potential premiers because they won the last 8 games (or so) last year. I remember distinctly in the Herald Sun's 2009 season preview booklet we were widely tipped for the premiership by experts and the section on our prospects was glowing.

We've had periods of low media exposure and great media exposure, just like every other club. Considering where we're at right now (likely bottom 4), I think we've been getting a great run the last few weeks. Particularly compared to say St Kilda or Melbourne.

If anything, our presence in the media is disproportionately large by reference to the size of our supporter base/membership.

I could post every article from that season if you like, but I think the one that directly contradicts you suffices.

In 2008 we were coming from nowhere. No one was crowning the Tigers potential premiers because they won the last 8 games (or so) last year. I remember distinctly in the Herald Sun's 2009 season preview booklet we were widely tipped for the premiership by experts and the section on our prospects was glowing.

We've had periods of low media exposure and great media exposure, just like every other club. Considering where we're at right now (likely bottom 4), I think we've been getting a great run the last few weeks. Particularly compared to say St Kilda or Melbourne.

If anything, our presence in the media is disproportionately large by reference to the size of our supporter base/membership.

Bulldogs players/supporters are better when they have a chip on their shoulder ;)

Beveridge on SEN:
- Said players have grasped plans and structures quicker than thought, a lot still to do but ahead of what may have been first thought.
- Mentioned that he adapts his plans around the personnel, but wants a team that has the scope to score really high. Wants balance, no good having one without the other (offence v defence)
- Talkied about spreading the loads across all the lines.
- Asked about having Gia & Smith in the coaching team and whether it should be someone outside for fresh ideas. Said they will grow in their roles and to improve they need to seek new challenges within.
- On Toyd, asked how long until he'll be as physically developed as he wants him to be. Said he was unsure but it's still a while off. Happy with how he is competing.
- On Bonts, asked if he can handle the pressure (of tag and outside expectation). Said he will, he has a great temperament. If he is being shut down he will still find a way to help the team and have an impact on the result. Very team focused.

No you can't and no it doesn't. Honestly I've already conceded I might be remembering things poorly, but from my perspective we were either talked down to or ignored by the media and things will not change the next time we rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. We get a far, far better look in than North, who only ever seem to be in the paper when talk of extending Hobart deals or possible relocation raise their head.

No you can't and no it doesn't. Honestly I've already conceded I might be remembering things poorly, but from my perspective we were either talked down to or ignored by the media and things will not change the next time we rise.
I agree Mike. We might get more positive media but it never carries the same weight or escalates to outright talking us up as a genuine force. More a pleasant anomaly, or a patronising "..but good on the Doggies."

PG was correct at the season launch, the media has a set narrative for us and every event results in recycled garbage dusted off from the bottom of a drawer that was written in 1996. When we really challenge that, we get vitriol and ridicule because life is easier for the media when they can keep doing it. (See Toyd recruitment articles as an example).

No tall forwards, existential crises, vanilla, irrelevant etc

They are saving it up for GF Day when they jump on the bandwagon of the Drought Breakers and try to rally the public around us so they too can get the good feels. When in fact, they can FOAD.

I agree Mike. We might get more positive media but it never carries the same weight or escalates to outright talking us up as a genuine force. More a pleasant anomaly, or a patronising "..but good on the Doggies."

PG was correct at the season launch, the media has a set narrative for us and every event results in recycled garbage dusted off from the bottom of a drawer that was written in 1996. When we really challenge that, we get vitriol and ridicule because life is easier for the media when they can keep doing it. (See Toyd recruitment articles as an example).

No tall forwards, existential crises, vanilla, irrelevant etc

They are saving it up for GF Day when they jump on the bandwagon of the Drought Breakers and try to rally the public around us so they too can get the good feels. When in fact, they can FOAD.

What have we ever done to be spoken of in "genuine force" terms?

We're spoken about exactly as we deserve to be.

What have we ever done to be spoken of in "genuine force" terms?

We're spoken about exactly as we deserve to be.

1996 and 1997 for those old enough to remember we had good public and media support behind us being underdogs :).

If we ever get in the Grand Final everyone bar whomever we play will likely give us their sympathy vote. Whilst that is "nice" of them, frankly at that point I figure they can truly all GGF. Our time; our place.

Any numpty trying to get on board our bandwagon that day can bugger off first and find a quiet place to wait frustratedly in for a good 30-40 years. After that point, and their wait better include a few false dawns, they can come out and celebrate with those of us who get it.....

Go Dogs

You'd better believe the numpties will be on board. When the big day finally comes, diehard Footscray fans will be frozen out of the 'G, which will be packed to the rafters with fickle theatregoers.

Interesting debate. It's hard to get a good handle on the truth because we all have this subjective (Bulldog) perspective of the world. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean the media don't patronise us and belittle us. (Also nobody yet has been first to jump in and say "FACT" which I understand is how you win an argument on BF.)

A couple of points in the debate strike me as worth exploring though:
Most would agree that the clubs with the biggest following tend to get more column inches and airtime commentary, even when they are not challenging for the finals. So even if this claim is true (and I think it is) it could still mean we are getting way less media presence than Collingwood which has a fan base and membership possibly three times the size of ours.
It's all relative isn't it?
The media are always looking for new angles. They don't want to pump out the same tired stories about the same dominant clubs every year so when some new force arrives they jump on it. Especially if that new force is a long-established club that has had an extended period in the wilderness. They were pretty excited when the Lions, the Swans and then Geelong broke their respective droughts, even if the first two were AFL laboratory creations using strands of DNA from the old VFL days. When we eventually turned out to be pretenders in the Eade era they simmered down, even in the 2010 year that promised so much with Bazza up forward. However in 1997-98 we were genuine contenders for most of the season and I think we generated a fair bit of excitement back then.

One final point is that "media attention" depends on where you are. It's totally different up here in Canberra, where the Giants and Swans dominate the media stories. Bigger stories from interstate reach the Canberra Times because it's part of the Fairfax stable but you won't get the potboiler stories from each club that you get in Melbourne. I expect it's also different again in the Adelaide and Perth fishbowls where local clubs will dominate the media.

Without knowing for sure I'd guess the WB gets better media coverage in Melbourne than most of the interstate clubs, unless there's some big story or one particular interstate clubs is dominating the competition. I'd also guess we get around the same (lack of) coverage and respect as the other traditional "have-nots" - Melbourne, StKilda, North - except where one of those clubs does something remarkable ... like set fire to a dwarf, or deliberately lose a match to get better draft picks.

I know we were the third best team through 2008-2010, we copped some patronising media from certain individuals such as that w***er from Hawthorn.

However that pales in contrast to the constant subliminal message that we are losers. If they talk about a particular team they will show them beating the Bulldogs, an individual, he's kicking a goal against the Bulldogs. Always the Bulldogs, what does that do for potential new members, young kids etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back