Preview Rd 3, 2015 - Brisbane Lions vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets get back to what works- Martin to ruck on his own, and get the midfield working with him solely there, as a unit.
He is far superior to Leuy in holding position and tapping to advantage.
Leuy to be a target up front, use his athleticism. he should be at the very least be able to get to the flight of the ball and create a contest and bring the ball to ground. He needs to lead and run and reload again .
I'd probably give Lester a job as an inside burrowing mid role, much like Crisp's role last year. Give him a can of woop ass and let him loose.
If Lester is dropped I would like to see Mitch Robbo take that role, actually I changed my mind give that role to Mitch, but take the can off him.:)

Lets get back to what works- Martin to ruck on his own, and get the midfield working with him solely there, as a unit.
He is far superior to Leuy in holding position and tapping to advantage.
Leuy to be a target up front, use his athleticism. he should be at the very least be able to get to the flight of the ball and create a contest and bring the ball to ground. He needs to lead and run and reload again .
I'd probably give Lester a job as an inside burrowing mid role, much like Crisp's role last year. Give him a can of woop ass and let him loose.
If Lester is dropped I would like to see Mitch Robbo take that role, actually I changed my mind give that role to Mitch, but take the can off him.:)
I have to disagree with you on the set up with our dual rucks. Yes, Martin is the better of the two rucks at the moment but he is above and beyond Luey up front who looks like he is lost at sea up there. Luey needs a stretch as the main ruck to get some confidence back. Lester isn't in the best 22 and has been put down back due to Patfull's departure. Frankly, I don't see him making it in any position.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lester play as an inside extractor at least for one game. He was good at winning contested possession and clearances last season when used in that position. Surely he gets the nod especially without Rocky and Hanley in the team and it will allow Beams to play a bit more outside then he has been.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lester play as an inside extractor at least for one game. He was good at winning contested possession and clearances last season when used in that position. Surely he gets the nod especially without Rocky and Hanley in the team and it will allow Beams to play a bit more outside then he has been.

Pffffft... what's wrong with you SM, most people on here only seem to need a quarter to decide if a player is :thumbsu: or :thumbsdown: or only good for trading? :D

I have to disagree with you on the set up with our dual rucks. Yes, Martin is the better of the two rucks at the moment but he is above and beyond Luey up front who looks like he is lost at sea up there. Luey needs a stretch as the main ruck to get some confidence back. Lester isn't in the best 22 and has been put down back due to Patfull's departure. Frankly, I don't see him making it in any position.

I don't think we should have to jeopardize our best starting ruck formation just so Luey can play himself into form. He can find some confidence in the reserves imo

I agree with you about Luey, but my point was that the first priority after our first 2 games has to be to get the midfield set, so that's why I'd put Luey up forward.
If the midfield jells this week and luey offers nill up when forward , then we wait for West or someone else (Staker)to come back in.
Kind of have to ask the question about Leuy , why and how could he not know about running patterns and other forward strategic skills at this time of his career. I know he has been on the sidelines quite a bit , but surely he watches and has been trained as to how it is done.
He looked good up front a few years ago, probably going back to 2011, now as you say he is lost .
How hard is it to run into a pocket or hole and if you don't get the ball, peel off with an arching run to create a hole for the next wave of attack .

I am over simplifying it I know, but you know what I mean .
Our team doesn't seem to do these secondary efforts, or know how to.
Anyhow going to the game.

If I was a patient man I would do as you suggest and play Leuy in the ruck and hope he gets his mojo back.
I think I am not or at least I am running out.

I don't think we should have to jeopardize our best starting ruck formation just so Luey can play himself into form. He can find some confidence in the reserves imo
Yep, l agree mate. Atm, Leuy is not in great form in the ruck, he might get taps but he puts them nowhere and doesn't do well up forward. If he needs confidence then put him in the 2's for a bit. Martin shown he can be AA if he is the sole ruck, so lets try and get him back to it.

Really don't like Lester in the team, his only position would be extractor of the ball. Don't like Paps down back either, should be on the wing stopping switches and moving forward to snag 1 goal or 2 each match.

Yep, l agree mate. Atm, Leuy is not in great form in the ruck, he might get taps but he puts them nowhere and doesn't do well up forward. If he needs confidence then put him in the 2's for a bit. Martin shown he can be AA if he is the sole ruck, so lets try and get him back to it.

Really don't like Lester in the team, his only position would be extractor of the ball. Don't like Paps down back either, should be on the wing stopping switches and moving forward to snag 1 goal or 2 each match.

This might have something to do with the mids not getting to the right positions.

As far as clearances and tapwork go I'd be putting the blame fairly on our midfield at the moment. Our tapwork (both tap and posession) with either ruckman has been woeful so far this season. However on many occasions either ruckman has tapped a ball down to a spot where a midfield wasn't and both have looked fairly miffed while doing it. Says to me that they've expected someone to be there and they haven't. Until we get guys going to where they are supposed to be I'd say the jury is out on our best ruck structure.

Would like to say that i have hope that we can win this. But, i am a realist, so i know we really don't :(

I'd support Lester getting played on ball.

Starting on ball set up of Martin, Beams, Redden and Lester should see us win a bit more contested ball through the middle of the ground. With Lester swapping down back with someone like Rich.
Would you be open to having Mitch Robinson in there instead of Beams as an extractor so Beams could play more outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you be open to having Mitch Robinson in there instead of Beams as an extractor so Beams could play more outside.

While he's got a tough body I've never seen Robinson as someone who has that polish with his decision making and handball to be a real inside distributor. Theres a difference to being a hard nut and being in inside ball winner and Robinson just doesn't have the skills IMO.

While he's got a tough body I've never seen Robinson as someone who has that polish with his decision making and handball to be a real inside distributor. Theres a difference to being a hard nut and being in inside ball winner and Robinson just doesn't have the skills IMO.

Summed up perfectly by Fatcat08

I'd rather Robinson as a defensive forward. Our Pressure was off against the Roos and Robinson, Green and Zorko up forward should help us contain the ball inside our forward fifty. We don't have a gun key forward to kick too so we need those guys pressuring the opposition defenders to cause turnovers in our forward fifty, and therefore, goals.

In regards to Robinson I spose part of what I was trying to say was how do we release Beams more? That was just an option.

Summed up perfectly by Fatcat08

I'd rather Robinson as a defensive forward. Our Pressure was off against the Roos and Robinson, Green and Zorko up forward should help us contain the ball inside our forward fifty. We don't have a gun key forward to kick too so we need those guys pressuring the opposition defenders to cause turnovers in our forward fifty, and therefore, goals.

Robinson isn't a bad target up forward either. I like it.

Robinson as a defensive forward is harping back to the Sam Sheldon days of a guy who can't find the footy or use it well and only in the team to apply pressure.

Robbo is an upgrade on Sheldon however.

Robinson as a defensive forward is harping back to the Sam Sheldon days of a guy who can't find the footy or use it well and only in the team to apply pressure.

He can find it but isn't a great accumulator. Execution is the main issue but he is more value than quite a few others at the moment.

Golby Merrett Beams
Gardiner Maguire Clarke
Aish Adcock Mayes
Paparone Martin Christensen
Taylor McStay Staker
Leuey Zorko Beams
Int: Robinson, Rich, Redden
Sub: Green

Out: Close, Bewick, McGrath, Lester, ZoB
In: Gardiner, Merrett, Golby, Aish, Staker

If any of the ins are unfit, then McGrath, then ZoB keep spots.

As you said, he certainly is an upgrade on Sheldon. If he can shut down some of the opposition rebound from half back, cause opposition fumbles and kick a goal, I'd be happy with that. Would add some aggression and experience to a largely inexperienced forward line. I wasn't too keen on him coming to the Lions, but he could be quite handy in that type of role for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back