Preview Round 3: Collingwood v St Kilda - Friday 7.50 @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been to the G in a while but was given some general admission tickets, where would I be best off sitting, Melbournites?

Come meet me at the Great Britain pub in Richmond before the game and I'll walk you in ;)

Above any one of the pockets IMO, Ponsford is usually pretty good because less people go to that stand as it is the farthest point from Jolimont and Richmond station.
I'd avoid the Ponsford...full of filth supporters for their home game. The Olympic or Southern stands will have more Sainters

Can't see too many changes to a winning team but Montagna will be an automatic inclusion if he's fit and with the rain forecast tomorrow another small forward like Schneider or Templeton might be brought in.

Would like to see McCartin get an opportunity but I'm not sure it would be the right time or conditions to bring him in, probably better off sticking with Riewoldt, Bruce and Membrey for now as they've done a pretty good job up forward so far.

Longer has probably done enough to hold his spot ahead of Hickey and should be suited to the wet conditions with his bulk and ability at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@AFL_PKeane: Rd 3 teams named -
Coll v StK;
Dwyer, Gault in for Fasolo, Sinclair.
Schneider in for Curren.

I guess the bolded is largely aimed at me, but I don't see it as "cocky" to be challenging the assertion that we are merely a "sneaky chance" to win this game. If I or others were coming out and saying we're going to smash them, like we did Gold Coast last week (a team that most expected to be a lot better than Collingwood this year and who were playing on their home ground, in their home state) then I could see why you and all those who've liked your post might think we were getting ahead of ourselves, but we're not suggesting that we're going to smash them, I wouldn't have thought. Unless I've missed something, we're just saying we're in this game up to our ears and that we ought to not be afraid to be really confident of winning it.

There is a thread on the main board asking if we are chance to win this game and if it was just parochialism of a few on here to suggest that we are a strong chance, then the resounding response to that thread would be that we are no chance, but there a plenty who reckon we're every chance and there's even this post from someone who barracks from Sydney:

Collingwood are clearly on the slide and came 11th last year and since then they've lost or are missing all of the following: Sidebottom (2nd in their B&F last year), Beams (3rd in their B&F), Lumumba (4th in their B&F), Macaffer (5th in their B&F), Reid, Witts, Ball, Maxwell, Young, Keefe, Thomas and Sinclair and there's talk that Ben Kennedy has glandular fever and as such may not be in contention this week. Last week they were comprehensively beaten on their home ground, by an interstate side that didn't play finals last year, that they kept on saying in the radio commentary were playing very poorly and using the ball terribly. They kicked 12 goals 18 behinds and had 12 more scoring shots than Collingwood. Going by those numbers there is a fair chance that Collingwood were lucky to not lose that game by 10 or more goals.

We are well and truly an ordinary side, but I think it's very safe to say that Collingwood just at the moment (given all their injuries in particular) are as well and possibly their biggest weakness is their terrible ball use (check out their individual DE stats for last week's game v Adelaide, for an example of that) and that poor disposal is only likely to be exacerbated if we bring the same sort of defensive pressure that we crushed Gold Coast with last week, which is a big part of the reason I believe this game is so "winnable". Their back 6 in particular is meant to be very shaky by foot, so if we bring the defensive forward pressure again they may struggle to get it out of there.

If that makes me "cocky" then so be it. I'd rather believe in myself and back myself in when I believe I or something I'm involved in is capable of something than be all defeatist or meek about it. That's the exact way you only win one premiership in 100+ years I reckon.

Are they, especially if Pendlebury was to miss? Even if Pendlebury plays, as I imagine he probably will, they have 6 who have played 100+ games of footy. If we pick Schneider and Roo plays, we will also have 6. We'll have 3 who have played 65-100, compared to their 2. We'll have 3 who have played between 50 and 65 games, compared to their 2 again. They'll have 3 who have played 30-50 games, compared to our 1 and they'll have 4 who have played 20-30 games, compared to our 3 (if Curren plays), we'll then have 4 who have played 10-20 and they'll have 1, we'll have 3 who have played less than 10 and they'll have as many as 4 (if Freeman and Moore do debut).

Looks extremely line-ball on the experience front to me. Both very young, rebuilding teams, with a handful of experience thrown in and plenty missing through injury.

If Nick doesn't play then it obviously gets a lot harder though. Ditto for Collingwood if Pendles doesn't play.

Does this mean we are going to lose this game?

What do teams like them have to do with Collingwood? They would be 5-10 goals (minimum, especially the last 3) better teams than this present Collingwood team. Just think what Adelaide likely would have done to them had last week's game been played over in Adelaide and Adelaide actually played well and kicked straight! :eek:

Great post. It is logic, not cockiness that says we are a good chance in this game. Sure, we all know we are a young team that can be inconsistent but if we bring our game from last week we are surely a chance against a limited team suspect under pressure.

Pffftttt !!What are ya talking about, nothing worth stealing ?
Weve got a whole lot of Mark McGough posters left over in the Saints shop
MarkMcGough140.jpg

No matter where you stand the eyes follow you :p

I loved that guy. Still do in fact.

Have you been living under a shell? He was ruled out on Tuesday.

Didn't hear about that, I thought he was only out for 1 week.

Great post. It is logic, not cockiness that says we are a good chance in this game. Sure, we all know we are a young team that can be inconsistent but if we bring our game from last week we are surely a chance against a limited team suspect under pressure.

On Fox League Teams 3 out of the 4 panelists have tipped us to win with only Derm tipping Collingwood.

I'm pretty confident we can win too providing we bring the same intensity and workrate as last week, I think we have a stronger team overall than Collingwood so would be disappointed if we didn't win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back