Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it's listed as omitted but it must be a fitness thing for Crouch after his interrupted pre-season. He's been way too good over the last two years for it to be a genuine dropping after one game

Yeah it'd be an underdone thing, match from not much training is bloody hard work is all and his body just wasn't there given the lack of preparation that he'd probably have ruled himself out really.

Ah great to see Tom back in his rightful place.

Jones sub?

Probably Windy since Byrnes has his 50th to stay as main, doubt they'd risk Jones as sub in the case he breaks down.

Clearly doubling down on speed, I like the match ups on paper but could fall apart very quickly if we aren’t switched on.

Slightly concerned about Cox on Cordy, which is silly because Cox ain’t good and Cordy did a good job with Hawkins, but u never know.

Really need Wood and Hill to step up as leading our run and spread. Wilson, Bonner, Sinclair, Nasiah, Henry, Byrnes, Jones to follow.

Big game for Phillipou imo, big stage, big opponent, named in the starting mids alongside Steele and Marshall. No expectations on him but he really does have the opportunity here to have a statement making game.

Same goes for King, Collingwood have a very good defence, if he dominates it’ll be against a quality outfit.

Just getting the feeling that someone will have a very impactful game, can’t pick it, which is exciting, feasibly could be any of Marshall, Steele, King, Owens, Sinclair, Phillipou, Henry, Naisah, Wilkie, Membrey, Sharman, Bonner, Windy (tagging), Battle etc etc, totally nuffie chat but it if we get the mix right I can totally see multiple players having very good games and utilising their talents against their particular match ups. Real risk v reward game type as a viewer, I hope to see a dominant saints outfit on full display in prime time. It’s been a while. Probably since 2020.

Last edited:

Pretty disappointing for collard. In for a minute, burnt a few times and then dropped. Dunno what message that sends.
Ross very lucky to stay in
I'm not too fussed about Collard. He isn't the first and won't be the last to be dropped after one game.

The disappointing part of selection is clearly that Seb Ross is still in our best 22 after the last 12 months he has dished up. It's a really poor reflection on where our midfield is at and shows why we need to be pumping minutes into the likes of Phillipou, Windhager and Owens.

Crouch must be really under done.

My son has taken over my car since he got his licence. He put that thing in it and it smells like rat poison mixed with urinal cakes. I threw it away and the car still smells like a street hooker's K-Mart perfume in a chemical factory.
All of which is better smelling than the 4x16yo I ferry to footy practice….

I was critical of the club playing Crouch injured last week, but lets hope they can redeem the trust tomorrow night. Ross is playing his 200th game so I doubt he will be sub, if it was my decision I would make Phillipou the sub. He was gifted games last year and that cant continue I think its time he is made to earn his stripes.

In any event Im happy with the ins, lets hope it will make a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch was visibly hobbling around the field during the last match. Poor bloke was way underdone. Hopefully gets it together in the next couple of weeks, because we need him out there.
Collard out is not surprising, he'll get a proper chance at some stage.
Not holding my breath on Jones. I don't rate him. If he can somehow manage to not fall to bits again during the game, it may help...but he does dumb things and is reactive when he has the ball. We'll see I guess.
Sinc's in, is good...not expecting him to be much more than a stabilising presence first game back though.
The game will be won or lost in the middle. We will lose that.
Hoping for a win obviously, but can't see it.
Collingwood by 5 goals.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing for collard. In for a minute, burnt a few times and then dropped. Dunno what message that sends.

Think of it more as we have a number of young players who we will want to expose to AFL Footy this season. Part of their apprenticeship.

He was the first, but he will not be the last this season. And he may well come back.

Some will just be via being the sub, some may start.

Wilson may be the only one that gets a lot of AFL games this season.

Clearly pulled the wrong rein with Crouch last week. Unusual from RTB but perhaps Crouch declared himself right and broke down a little during the game? Odd one. Shame for Collard too, just a little strange how that has all played out too.

Pumped to see Sincs. We should be electric on the rebound from D50. Wish I could make the game in person but I hope we nail them to 0-3!!

Might be "managed" but after that effort against Geelong, the whole midfield should be dropped :p

Sydney beat them with overlap run and accountability. Perhaps it's pace we want.

Two goals, sorry when? He didn't get a kick, great exposure for him but the reality is he shouldn't have played yet, to suggest he should take Higgins' spot is wild.

I'll bite.

Wilsons goal on the far side late, Collard was running goalward with nothing in front of him and about 6ish paces in front of his opponent as the nearest option for an over the top instead of a kick to the fat side of the pocket that eventuated, so there's 1 goal if he was the chosen of the three in that I50 that ended with Wilson slotting one.

Yep, no possession in that play but he was in that raffle in front of goal.

50m arc, Ming has possession just outside, who is then sitting 35ish on his own I50? You guessed it, Collard. As would happen in this instance, Ming fluffed the kick and we'd have to work for it, but given Collard spent all of one and a half quarters on that field having come on part way through the third, that's 2 positions I50, no real defender around him, and Ming with the ball essentially kicking I50 where Collard didn't get possie as you say, but in a different set of circumstances, he ends with the ball and slots 2 as rather piss easy shots to make around 30ish and either running towards open goal with no defender in sight or marking uncontested I50.

Reality is the man was a sub, it is disingenuous to state he was dropped when he just wasn't promoted to main, and that you didn't see him in these dangerous situations where he could have scored very easily just shows that you didn't watch him all that closely to be making such statements.

It's a bit like those suggestions Ross was going to get dropped this week given it's his 200th, and we're light on for midfielders at the moment.

Collard will be fine, these youngsters will pop in and out of the team. Needed some legs in the middle, though Jones looked ok when he came back last year, very bloody unlucky with that injury against the hawks. Unlikely he stays on the list next year unless he’s remain fit all years and tears it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back