Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

db5b73afe45b468f27b8fa203459af5eddc1251b301a695465b66302dec45146.jpg

Mick has a dedicated media manager now at Carlton. Started this week, the person recently worked in the communications dept. at Collingwood.

Last edited:
I would think MM could not give 2 sh*** about having a media manager. Which is basically like having a 'minder'.

In fact, i like to think MM would find this person out in a crowd and stare at him as he gives a ridiculously aggressive response to someone saying hello.

Mick needs a dedicated aged carer worker, bloke seems to make nonsensical statements left right and center.

Mick needs a dedicated aged carer worker, bloke seems to make nonsensical statements left right and center.
Wonder if you say the same rubbish about your parents and grandparents when they reach 60.
Seems to be pretty offensive to assume that you lose the ability to think at that age.
Oh and completely inconsistent with the scientific literature on the topic.
So in short you were making nonsensical statements.
Wait...... are you over 60?

Who knows how things will pan out, but, I for one was amazed Port were so bad a couple years back - I distinctly recall looking at their list thinking it was decent. Good tall defenders, hard arsed quality midfield leaders , etc.
Can we say the Carlton list has latent talent?
Again it comes down to leadership and in my view Murphy and Gibbs lack that hard arsed desire to lead this midfield group (and in turn team). Maybe they will be better when Judd retires. Maybe they sub-consciously think he will do the job when he plays. I recall they played better I think when Judd was out. Mick always felt COll wouldnt thrive until Buckley was gone.
Ironically, Collingwood is still in exactly the same situation .....

They are trying to improve on the year before are they not? Bringing in new players to improve the teams structures. No team goes into a new season and just be happy to stay the same as the previous year

I agree with you, so in essence we aren't really rebuilding if we are just doing what every other club does are we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick has always been known as a defensive coach but we are currently leaking well over 100 points a game.
This is somewhat surprising given its his 3rd year as coach you would think his game plan would be ingrained by now.
There's only 2 reasons I can think of what is going wrong:
1. His game plan is been figured out by the opposition and exploited
2. Our players aren't following it

Either is bad for Mick and given he is backing the senior boys in he would wanna hope they respond for him today!

Just my 2 cents, im of the opinion that Mick should be the one to take us through the rebuild, not for a minute saying that i am happy or satisfied with where we are at but he's lead the changes over the last 2 years with the plan of regenerating (or what ever you want to call it) whilst trying to be competitive,i guess im of the belief that we are 2 years into a rebuild already...Im sure most people listened to SEN last night, i think if anyone is surprised with the in-depth information he divulged then they have not been paying attention...the man is very intelligent, he also has an enormous amount of experience, i personally dont buy into the age argument that has been prominent during his time at Carlton, i understand this is a completely different industry but Architects peak during their 70's when their experience and creativity at their prime..Mick has rebuilt a number of times and whether people want to believe this or not..i would guarantee he understands our lists current capabilities...i think Carlton has made enough catastrophic mistakes and to pull another knee jerk stunt and sack the experienced coach only to bring in someone who has a much high chance of making even more detrimental decisions would be impulsive...stability and a consistent message is what we need and i believe that if Carlton were to buck the trend of just sacking the coach when things go wrong, it would go along way in showing the strength of the new administration and that we actually are looking towards the future.

Mick is the least of our problems.. wish he'd get extended as he's best placed to rebuild a culture that's non-existent...

Our experienced players who should be in their prime should step up.. the fact that judd who's supposed to be retired is still our best player getting tagged is an absolute joke

Wonder if you say the same rubbish about your parents and grandparents when they reach 60.
Seems to be pretty offensive to assume that you lose the ability to think at that age.
Oh and completely inconsistent with the scientific literature on the topic.
So in short you were making nonsensical statements.
Wait...... are you over 60?
Nothing to do with age, it's his ability to communicate his thoughts that worries me. He also can't seem to answer questions properly and he contradicts statements by other members of the organization routinely, who knows if its any better or worse behind closed doors.

But that's not the reason I'm disenchanted with the bloke, and it's not even his flaky excuse for our teams poor performance, or the fact that he seems to blame everyone but himself, and the club under him has gone from saying we were pushing from a top 4 (premiership) finish to now be in a rebuild. It's because I reckon he doesn't have his heart in the job. Does anyone believe he would've take the job if he wasn't getting paid $1mil a year? Offer him the same amount of money Ratten was on for his next contract and see if he accepts (roughly 500k--600k), it would be unlikely imo, he's pulled this club down and he's simply doing it for the money.

I honestly don't get the point of sticking with a coach who insists on having such a broken predictable game-plan

Sack mick, re-build with a new coach who players would actually play for.

I honestly don't get the point of sticking with a coach who insists on having such a broken predictable game-plan

Sack mick, re-build with a new coach who players would actually play for.
Don't bother, people here still seem to think Malthouse is the future of this club. What makes them think that, only god knows.

Mick get on board with the rebuild and play the kids or get the **** out!!!!!

Mod edit: Don't evade the swear filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother, people here still seem to think Malthouse is the future of this club. What makes them think that, only god knows.

He's not.

Sacking Ratten was a mistake, he could only work with what he had with that horrific injury plagued 2012 season.

Malthouse has proved nothing to warrant another couple of the years at the club. All he does is whinge to the AFL about stuff that has no concern to the football club he's coaching. He went on the other day about players not coming to Carlton through free-agency yet we took out a massive chunk of our salary cap to get his mate Daisy Thomas into the club, while sacrificing Eddie Betts and letting Waite walk.

One other thing is that our president came out and said a 'full re-build is our plan' but then two days later Malthouse says he'll only pick the best side available to him. That means not playing the young kids, or the blokes in the VFL who at least have a go. Players don't want to play for Malthouse, our recruiting hasn't improved under him, and we expect Silvagni who's only experience was GWS where he had picks pretty much thrown at him from the start to rebuild the club back to premiership glory?

Mick's contribution to this football club has been nothing more than confusing mixed messages week in week out and trying to succeed with his boring, predictable game-plan from the start. If losing to St Kilda next week in New Zealand (which I think is very likely) means Mick is out of the job, I wouldn't be against it.

Get someone in who actually might get the respect of the players, whether he's young/old, outside the club or a past Carlton player, it doesn't matter. I just think sticking fat with Mick is just idiotic.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with age, it's his ability to communicate his thoughts that worries me. He also can't seem to answer questions properly and he contradicts statements by other members of the organization routinely, who knows if its any better or worse behind closed doors.

But that's not the reason I'm disenchanted with the bloke, and it's not even his flaky excuse for our teams poor performance, or the fact that he seems to blame everyone but himself, and the club under him has gone from saying we were pushing from a top 4 (premiership) finish to now be in a rebuild. It's because I reckon he doesn't have his heart in the job. Does anyone believe he would've take the job if he wasn't getting paid $1mil a year? Offer him the same amount of money Ratten was on for his next contract and see if he accepts (roughly 500k--600k), it would be unlikely imo, he's pulled this club down and he's simply doing it for the money.
Ok, that's fine, of course, for you to have that opinion. But then leave out the stuff about age if that isn't your argument.

I gather those posting that MM has a disconnect from the playing group have some inside acknowledge on relationships between the coach & players, I am sure not every player loves MM but I would find it hard to believe too many of them wouldn't respect him & his achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back