Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

No need for change now at all

But if this team comes up short v Freo, if the hawks dismantle them again then i expect to see changes.

The current midfield group failed when it mattered and have played about 7 good quarters this year

The team is not set in stone

I agree and I have said that as well. We are not changing until after the Hawks game, save for an absolute thrashing this week (and I expect us to win this week). Hawks game will be the barometer imo.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/losing-kennedy-is-going-to-hurt.642859/

"While I think it is a loss he's not in our 22 and up until halfway through this season didn't look like getting close to being AFL standard."

"Sad to see the name go but we are too slow in the guts."

"At Hawthorn, Kennedy is an average fringe player who is not in the best 22, will not displace Mitchell, Sewell or Lewis and will soon by passed by Shiels."

"Kennedy will be a good player but with a fit list, he would have been struggling to get a game."

"He is a pure inside midfielder, and as an inside midfielder, he is behind Mitch, Behind Sewell, and behind Lewis and i am confident it would stay that way even though he is promising, as those 3 are in the top 10 inside mids in the comp."

Lol

If they are the rules then how the f did mcglynn get a game

You won't get me arguing there, I'm not big on McGlynn playing, however at least they got rid of the stupid idea that he was a midfielder last year. Him up forward for 2-3 goals will be handy.

"While I think it is a loss he's not in our 22 and up until halfway through this season didn't look like getting close to being AFL standard."

"At Hawthorn, Kennedy is an average fringe player who is not in the best 22, will not displace Mitchell, Sewell or Lewis and will soon by passed by Shiels."

"Kennedy will be a good player but with a fit list, he would have been struggling to get a game."

"He is a pure inside midfielder, and as an inside midfielder, he is behind Mitch, Behind Sewell, and behind Lewis and i am confident it would stay that way even though he is promising, as those 3 are in the top 10 inside mids in the comp."

Oh wow its like a mirror image :p

I agree and I have said that as well. We are not changing until after the Hawks game, save for an absolute thrashing this week (and I expect us to win this week). Hawks game will be the barometer imo.

Yep

if the current set up keeps getting the job done then so be it, even spud can stay in if we keep winning.

But time will tell.

Does this mean we go back to back if we get rid of Tom?

At least Hawthorn pulled the trigger, traded Kennedy and Mcglynn and got stratton and suckling , and some other toss from memory

Yep

if the current set up keeps getting the job done then so be it, even spud can stay in if we keep winning.

But time will tell.

Oh come on you love Reid!

the current side won't be changed bar injury (or a rest for Heeney) in the later rounds if they continue to win.

Oh come on you love Reid!

the current side won't be changed bar injury (or a rest for Heeney) in the later rounds if they continue to win.

the current side has played 1 really good game in its last 3.

lets not pretend we are top of the world just yet.

Big big test this week

the current side has played 1 really good game in its last 3.

lets not pretend we are top of the world just yet.

Big big test this week

This week and the Hawks will tell where we are at. I almost feel we have played well when we needed to in the first 3 rounds. Good sides do that. Free did that too, Hawthorn have too. Our best is still as good as Hawthorn in my firm view.

This week and the Hawks will tell where we are at. I almost feel we have played well when we needed to in the first 3 rounds. Good sides do that. Free did that too, Hawthorn have too. Our best is still as good as Hawthorn in my firm view.

They crunched a full strength Hawthorn over there last year under Lyon they are something like 34 out of 39 wins at Subi.

It's a incredibly tough place to win.

oh well watch this thread if Freo smash us!

They crunched a full strength Hawthorn over there last year under Lyon they are something like 34 out of 39 wins at Subi.

It's a incredibly tough place to win.

I expect us to lift and we won't let Hill roam around Subi without a heavy tag. Will be the game of the weekend but I expect a 2 goal win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best in that thread was:
I can already see him playing us in the 2012 GF...

Put a smile on my face!

Unfortunately, until Horse actually picks Mitchell, it's kind of hard to argue. I might have to listen again, but when Bonz asked the question which of our midfielders we should drop for Mitchell on the podcast, no-one actually answered the question. You can quote stats on how good he is, but at the end of the day, he has to force someone out and I don't know who that will be unless there's an injury, or Horse decides to change his structure, which he won't if we keep winning.

The only player that comes close is Bird.
Bird though has had great success negating (tagging) dangerous opposition midfielders as he did last week against GWS.
Bird was sub in the GF but I am sure that had he been fit that day, he would have had the job on Mitchell, ala ROK in 2012.

Quite simply, Sam Mitchell cut us to pieces with first hands on the ball with no added pressure on him.
Cam Tommy do such a role with the flick of a switch when asked to mid game?
Certainly not as well as Bird would.

The dilemma for the coaches (if it even is a dilemma for them at all), is that Tommy perhaps may not actually make an improvement to the team, as it is right now, should he come in for any of the players on the fringe.
Those players IMO are Towers, Lloyd, Bird, McGlynn & Heeney.

Each of those players seem to offer another dimension to our team that perhaps young Tommy has failed to offer thus far.

Towers- height, outside speed & two way run.
Lloyd- outside speed, two way run, high efficiency & composure.
Bird- high discipline for run with role, in & under, composure, two way run.
McGlynn- in & under, outside speed, two way run, tackling pressure, can do a run with role.
Heeney- NO COMMENT!

The best in that thread was:
I can already see him playing us in the 2012 GF...

Put a smile on my face!

Did you then remember 2014 and turn that smile upside down while having a breakdown?

After reading all this thread, i think i have the solution.

Rucks are overrated, just shark the opposition taps. Since we're not wasting space with a tall lumbering ruckman, we have one extra mid around the contest than them.

Then Tom gets a game.

Did you then remember 2014 and turn that smile upside down while having a breakdown?

Unfortunately, yes. It then turned into a steely resolve in the hopes that all swans players will make up for such a performance to turn it upside down again and for the last time!

I think we're fortunate to have Tom as depth. We run 3 inside mids who get pounded every week in the engine room of a high pressure, high stoppage team, so naturally we keep a full-sized spare (not a space saver or an aerosol can). If he can't handle that and requests a trade that's unfortunate but we'll get good coin for him. In the meantime we have a very handy inclusion who can slot straight into seniors football should we need him.

Amazing reading those comments for six years ago. Thanks swans fan. I hope that we don't end up reading the same about Mitchell in another six years when he's at another club.

Does this mean we go back to back if we get rid of Tom?

At least Hawthorn pulled the trigger, traded Kennedy and Mcglynn and got stratton and suckling , and some other toss from memory

I'm pretty sure Hawks got 3 draft picks from the late 40s onwards for Kennedy AND McGlynn. What makes you think we'd get something better from Mitchell? He's the same age as what Kennedy was, a similar inside player and only played a handful more games. If he doesn't play many games this year his trade value will be even lower.

I wouldn't begrudge him for a moment if he asks to be traded. Whoever suggesting in this thread that would be indicative of his attitude doesn't have a clue. The guy is in our best 22 and I'd be gutted if he left.

I'm pretty sure Hawks got 3 draft picks from the late 40s onwards for Kennedy AND McGlynn. What makes you think we'd get something better from Mitchell? He's the same age as what Kennedy was, a similar inside player and only played a handful more games. If he doesn't play many games this year his trade value will be even lower.

I wouldn't begrudge him for a moment if he asks to be traded. Whoever suggesting in this thread that would be indicative of his attitude doesn't have a clue. The guy is in our best 22 and I'd be gutted if he left.

Completely different situation. No one thought, especially Hawthorn, that Kennedy would reach the heights that he has with us. We know that Mitchell has the talent to amass high and effective possessions. We got Kennedy for a steal.

Completely different situation. No one thought, especially Hawthorn, that Kennedy would reach the heights that he has with us. We know that Mitchell has the talent to amass high and effective possessions. We got Kennedy for a steal.
Kennedy averaged 19.4 disposals in his last season at Hawthorn. Mitchell's career average is 19.8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back