AFL Autopsy Round 4: ANZAC Day 2015 - Essendon def by Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I've deliberately waited a while to post in this thread.

About half way through the 3rd quarter my daughter asked me to play Monopoly (she's just started migrating to "real" Monopoly from Monopoly Junior). I said yes, turned the TV off, and found myself enjoying playing Monopoly with my daughter more than I watching us play on Saturday.

We looked like a dumb team in the wet, as per usual. People point to last quarter fade outs as a long standing issue. I'd say our inability to adapt to wet weather is an issue that has reared it's head more often and for a longer period. You don't play cute in wet weather, we try to way too often.

Collingwood's pressure for every minute I watched was phenomenal. By going sideways, trying the perfect pass, trying to handball our way out of trouble, all the while with a greasy ball, played right into their hands. It's almost like we don't train in the wet nor do we train for wet weather situations.

Anyway, if you had've asked my before round 1 if I'd be happy to be 2-2 I would've said yes. I guess I need to focus on that moreso than be annoyed at being 3-1 and just hope the lads learned from the weekend, they get some drive back, and they punish the Saints on Sunday.

I've deliberately waited a while to post in this thread.

About half way through the 3rd quarter my daughter asked me to play Monopoly (she's just started migrating to "real" Monopoly from Monopoly Junior). I said yes, turned the TV off, and found myself enjoying playing Monopoly with my daughter more than I watching us play on Saturday.

We looked like a dumb team in the wet, as per usual. People point to last quarter fade outs as a long standing issue. I'd say our inability to adapt to wet weather is an issue that has reared it's head more often and for a longer period. You don't play cute in wet weather, we try to way too often.

Collingwood's pressure for every minute I watched was phenomenal. By going sideways, trying the perfect pass, trying to handball our way out of trouble, all the while with a greasy ball, played right into their hands. It's almost like we don't train in the wet nor do we train for wet weather situations.

Anyway, if you had've asked my before round 1 if I'd be happy to be 2-2 I would've said yes. I guess I need to focus on that moreso than be annoyed at being 3-1 and just hope the lads learned from the weekend, they get some drive back, and they punish the Saints on Sunday.

Im the same, dont mind watching us being beaten by a better side, but watching us play stupid football is very frustrating. Especially two weeks in a row. I would have taken 2-2 at the start of the year but if it werent for a couple of seconds and some innacuracy from Carlton we could have been 0-4....scary thought.

The problem is we play stupid/dumb football too often and it's been happening for years now. What's the problem? Players? Coaching? Can't get my head around it. We're never going to win a flag if we don't sort it out.

Thought Bomber had been reinstated into the box with the instinctive, obsession to kickwards backwards & sideways. Then I thought it was Knights in there with our inability to hit a bloody target, inability to make simple decisions under seemingly little pressure.

As others have mentioned, our forward line still has major issues. I'd have Kommer reinstated in a fit, if it meant we could have someone applying pressure to keep the ball in our 50, as it just comes out with ridiculous ease. Ambrose needs to start hitting scoreboard, while Carlisle looks as though he's about to trip over his shoelaces everytime he approaches to kick for goal.

Massive step backwards today, honestly the only consistent aspect of our game was that we were appalling for 4 quarters & if we pull anything similiar next week, Stk will beat us for the second year in a row.

Putrid!!

Last edited:
We've played 4 games this year and this season has already taken a massive toll on my mind.

Watching us give up big leads, kick golf scores, fluff games against poor(er) opposition.

I would commit heinous acts just to be able to have a few games this year where I can put my feet up and watch my football team play clinical football for >2qtrs.

We've played 4 games this year and this season has already taken a massive toll on my mind.

Watching us give up big leads, kick golf scores, fluff games against poor(er) opposition.

I would commit heinous acts just to be able to have a few games this year where I can put my feet up and watch my football team play clinical football for >2qtrs.

You wouldn't be so upset about that if you saw my golf scores.

Today just proves Cralise isnt a forward how can you miss a simple shot 10 meters out.

go after a full foward free agent ffs.

I've been saying it for 2 years. Or simply look to trade Carlisle. We need a ready made bonafide key forwardo to pair JD & with all this Asada s**t seemingly behind us, perhaps players will look to us as a potential destination now.

Make it happen!!

Our forward line is a major major concern. I have zero confidence in us kicking 100 points consistently against any team (let alone the top teams).

I haven't given up on Carlisle. The first thing needed is an understanding between he and Daniher. That seems to be non existent at the moment. They need a coffee togther.

Wouldn't it be nice. Just for one week, to not have to watch us labour for a result.

Rest assured we will make hard work of Stk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The signal that we might have actually turned the corner will be when we can do that clinical, business-like football for a month. Haven't done that in a long, long time.

Sadly I thought that the WCE game in '12 might have been the heralding of that but no. Certainly not.

One thing that is kinda perverse is that it's slightly better that the utter schizophrenia of last year where the extremes from quarter to quarter were massive. It was like the swings of Bailey's Melbourne except instead of being week-by-week it was literally 20 minutes before you saw a different Essendon. That's not good.

I think the only thing that I would say, outside of the Fletch goal, is that this game wasn't a failure of application, it was just total wrongheadedness. It's more perplexing in light of the fact that they did know how to play conditions in Rd 1, and there was no wild speculative forays into the corridor or slack-jawed attempts at finessing there.

So basically the coaches and playing group didn't spend the week preparing for a wet day and some Collingwood pressure.

We're going nowhere and fast.

I felt so bad when I woke up Saturday morning hearing the rain come down non stop. I felt even worst when I was speaking to my mate walking to the ground saying 'boy, I hope we have a tall as a late out' and him telling me the team was unchanged. I knew we were going to lose at half time if we didn't change and start playing wet weather footy.

I just can't understand how the team/coaching staff couldn't address this at half time. They were just hell bent on playing an uncontested style.

I felt so bad when I woke up Saturday morning hearing the rain come down non stop. I felt even worst when I was speaking to my mate walking to the ground saying 'boy, I hope we have a tall as a late out' and him telling me the team was unchanged. I knew we were going to lose at half time if we didn't change and start playing wet weather footy.

I just can't understand how the team/coaching staff couldn't address this at half time. They were just hell bent on playing an uncontested style.

My thoughts exactly. There is enough experience in the side to know when to shift a game style.

We were beaten by an inferior side who adapted to the conditions better and wanted it more in one of the worst games of football I can remember seeing in some time. Desperately need a win this week which we'll probably do easily to paper over the cracks that this season has displayed so far. Play like that against Freo/Norf the following fortnight and it's gonna get ugly.

We were beaten by an inferior side who adapted to the conditions better and wanted it more in one of the worst games of football I can remember seeing in some time. Desperately need a win this week which we'll probably do easily to paper over the cracks that this season has displayed so far. Play like that against Freo/Norf the following fortnight and it's gonna get ugly.
I don't get this... I thought Collingwood were really good. Their decision making was great, they kept their feet incredibly well and really only their accuracy in front of goal was a little off. Their pressure on the ball carrier was exactly what we brought to Sydney round one.
I think that is the issue here. We thought we were the better side, so we thought we could dictate the style of play. It's a very useful mindset to come into a wet game as underdogs with one thing in mind. Pressure, pressure, pressure. We needed to lower ourselves to meet the conditions and the circumstances. At half time we should have dropped all previous ideas and just set out bring maximum pressure on the ball carrier. We might have scraped an ugly win that way.

I don't get this... I thought Collingwood were really good. Their decision making was great, they kept their feet incredibly well and really only their accuracy in front of goal was a little off. Their pressure on the ball carrier was exactly what we brought to Sydney round one.
I think that is the issue here. We thought we were the better side, so we thought we could dictate the style of play. It's a very useful mindset to come into a wet game as underdogs with one thing in mind. Pressure, pressure, pressure. We needed to lower ourselves to meet the conditions and the circumstances. At half time we should have dropped all previous ideas and just set out bring maximum pressure on the ball carrier. We might have scraped an ugly win that way.
That's kind of what I meant, apologies about the confusing wording. Skill/talent wise I think they're an inferior side but effort/intensity/pressure they were lightyears ahead of us.

i don't think we have overrated our team/list. maybe the team overrated themselves
or maybe they're just suffering the inevitable emotional low/lull that was always going to occur after our big month.

it was probably the most frustrating game i've been at in years, simply because we did not adapt AT ALL. we played the same way, did the same dumb things (too much kicking, too many floating kicks/handballs) all day.

i'm prepared to give Collingwood some credit for their pressure, but i feel like we've been able to work through pressure better than that before. i just didn't feel the whole team was up for it on Saturday. the seeds for the loss were probably sown in our soft win the week before too.

positives for me were:

• Heppell - just goes all day, every game. runs everywhere. what a player he has become. will be AA again.
  • Hooker - pantsed Cloke. was beaten only once (in the last quarter). is a rock in defence and will be AA again.
  • Hurley - was good defensively, but not as good in an attacking sense this week. he is a defender now though, and did his defensive job well. would have liked to see him thrown forward earlier
other than that, not too many winners on the day really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back