Why did Brisbane take Aish?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
No this isn't some cheap troll thread, but a genuine question worth looking at now he's been dropped again after looking decidedly disinterested in playing football.

I remember the 'go home' question hanging over his head before he was even drafted (I'm glad the Saints settled on Billings, we can't really afford any top 10 draft pick busts)

Despite it not applying to Aish's situation- free agency has certainly shifted the power well and truly from the clubs to the players... with players young and old realising that football contracts really aren't worth squat.
Because at the end of the day- if you force a player to play for you... they are just gonna coast, ala Aish.

Of course the Brions are gonna play hardball with wherever he wants to go... but they can't go too hard and get nothing for him.

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be really pissed- especially after seeing a mass exodus of top talent the year previous.... and the fact that you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this exact situation coming before he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?

Reason Brisbane Lions took Aish was because they wanted to make a stand after the shock exodus of a lot of their playing list, which created negative attention and to some extent making them a laughing stock
Sam Docherty, Polec, BillyLonger, Elliot Yeo, Patrick Karnezis all requesting trades back home doesn't look good

Lions wanted the best player available at 7, which is fair enough to not be a push over. But the signs were al ready their that Aish would get home sick more so than other potential draftees. Personally I think Aish is a gun but Lions should have gone for Cam McCarthy instead who is doing very well at the Giants, still got McStay, Gardiner and mini pocket rocket Lewis Taylor and still would have been super successful draft for Lions

If Aish leave will be a demorilzing loss for Lions. I think they were losers out of Beams deal but maybe I'm making a very premature comment, probably am

I'm a fan of draft picks over players. Lions should have traded Aish last year in Beams deal to try retain their picks
Aish & Crisp for Beams
Pick 25 for Christiensen

Leaving Lions Picks 5 & 21 for the draft, Lions would have looked like season pros

Last edited:

You enter the draft with full knowledge that you may go interstate.

No point bitching about it later and for players that may want to go home, opportunities do come about.

Most players find that moving isn't quite as bad as what the way they thought it may be. Brisbane took the player they wanted........Good on them.

It hasn't helped that Adelaide have joined Port as top 8 & potentially top 4 teams this year, whilst the Lions languish at the foot of the ladder

You enter the draft with full knowledge that you may go interstate.

No point bitching about it later and for players that may want to go home, opportunities do come about.

Most players find that moving isn't quite as bad as what the way they thought it may be. Brisbane took the player they wanted........Good on them.

All valid points, however as I said, free agency has changed the footy world for everyone- even kids who it doesn't apply to.

The old school mindset of "taking the player you want" doesn't work when talented kids who have achieved nothing know they have all the power.
Tom Boyd etc etc.
The kids (and their managers) know all to well what it costs clubs in money and time to develop young talent. The clubs can't match that at the negotiating table.

I remember hearing a suggestion (perhaps by the Lions) to increase the current 2 year minimum contract... That would give clubs a better chance of retaining kids... but I guess Tom Boyd made a mockery of that anyway

Because he was rated to be the best midfielder and 2nd best player of the draft by many and was too good to pass up? Sounds obvious but if you can't back yourself to pick the best available and keep them there through the strength of the footy department you have serious issues. And it's not like there as a QLD'er around the mark anyway, it was always going to have to be an interstate player. Why would they think Aish is more likely to head home than anyone else? Because he has a famous surname?

Because Aish was clearly the best player available.

Maybe Aish was more likely to leave than the average draftee, but it's only a question of degrees. It's a risk for every single player the Lions (or any club, for that matter) drafts from interstate. There wasn't a Queenslander in that range they could've drafted.

Because he was rated to be the best midfielder and 2nd best player of the draft by many and was too good to pass up? Sounds obvious but if you can't back yourself to pick the best available and keep them there through the strength of the footy department you have serious issues. And it's not like there as a QLD'er around the mark anyway, it was always going to have to be an interstate player. Why would they think Aish is more likely to head home than anyone else? Because he has a famous surname?

And if they hadn't picked Aish, there would be criticism of their drafting - "why not take the best talent available.... ?" etc... Like there has been with GWS and Wingard.... Clubs can't win in some respects, the players hold too much sway...

The highlighted section is the key - you need to draft the best, develop them as best you can and then hope you can keep them... It's all a club can do....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Aish was more likely to leave than the average draftee

I don't think there was any maybe about it.
It was a stone cold fact that he was more of a risk than any other top pick.

That's why he got down to 7 in the first place.

Why of any club, would Brisbane be the ones to jump on him?

Yeah, yeah best available and all that... but sheesh- surely after 5 top picks walk out the door, you'd be a little gun shy?
Especially with a midfielder pick- maybe it would have been worth the punt if it was a gun key position kid... but mids are a dime a dozen.

And if they hadn't picked Aish, there would be criticism of their drafting - "why not take the best talent available.... ?" etc... Like there has been with GWS and Wingard.... Clubs can't win in some respects, the players hold too much sway...

The highlighted section is the key - you need to draft the best, develop them as best you can and then hope you can keep them... It's all a club can do....

Clearly 5 other clubs had a different approach and avoided him.
Nobody's criticising the Saints, Pies, GWS, Gold Coast or Dogs for not taking the 'best available'.

Clubs should take whoever is best available for their needs, regardless of "go home factor".

They should also provide a good development program and stable working environment for the player, and get them to buy into their vision so that they want to be a part of it.

If they can't do that, it's on them... Not the player.

Clearly 5 other clubs had a different approach and avoided him.
Nobody's criticising the Saints, Pies, GWS, Gold Coast or Dogs for not taking the 'best available'.

Plenty have had pot shots at GWS for not taking Wingard.......

Some clubs drafted for needs, which hasnt always worked out at this point in time..

And given we got Bontempelli instead, I'd be quite keen to see the criticism of the Dogs for not taking him....

Says more about the self entitled culture of these young draftees.

They enter the draft knowing that they can be jettisoned anywhere across the country. Rather than see this as an opportunity to grow into an independent young man away from home and knowing they still have the resources and backup of an AFL club if need be, they would prefer to have mummy still cook dinner.

Soft *****.

Does my ****ing head in.

They enter the draft knowing that they can be jettisoned anywhere across the country. Rather than see this as an opportunity to grow into an independent young man away from home and knowing they still have the resources and backup of an AFL club if need be, they would prefer to have mummy still cook dinner.

Soft *****.

Does my ******* head in.
Agree. Doesnt say much about Aish character that he throws towel in because he finds things a little difficult

No this isn't some cheap troll thread, but a genuine question worth looking at now he's been dropped again after looking decidedly disinterested in playing football.

I remember the 'go home' question hanging over his head before he was even drafted (I'm glad the Saints settled on Billings, we can't really afford any top 10 draft pick busts)

Despite it not applying to Aish's situation- free agency has certainly shifted the power well and truly from the clubs to the players... with players young and old realising that football contracts really aren't worth squat.
Because at the end of the day- if you force a player to play for you... they are just gonna coast, ala Aish.

Of course the Brions are gonna play hardball with wherever he wants to go... but they can't go too hard and get nothing for him.

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be really pissed- especially after seeing a mass exodus of top talent the year previous.... and the fact that you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this exact situation coming before he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?
The Lions know when they go to every draft there is a higher possibility of losing players.
They can't just pick Qld players with their draft choices.
He will have value so they have to play a little bit of hard ball.

IIRC Collingwood wanted him as part of the Beams deal, but Brisbane said no. Bet they'd wish they could change their minds now. Hopefully they get a first rounder and change out of Adelaide or Port, but they'll need to play Aish every week to keep his currency up.

Soft *****.

Does my ******* head in.
It does, but you have to adapt as a club. Brisbane is stuck between a rock and a hard place with home sickness - though Aish was always a prime candidate given his pedigree. I'm pretty pleased Melbourne's last three first round picks have been Victorians and hope it continues.

Maybe Aish isn't interested or happy at Brisbane. Maybe he just isn't that good. Junior talent does not always translate into AFL quality.
taking a player who looks like a talented kid, wherever he is from, is part of being an AFL club. The clubs that pick the most accurately have the most success. Brisbane haven't exactly shown a lot of draft nouse in the last 10 years or so. If internal issue drive players out like they have at a few clubs in recent years, it's hard to make judgements on a player like Aish. There would be a fair degree of risk in paying a high draft pick for him if he does want out at season's end. Not for the go home factor but for the quality risk.

Aish quite obviously never requested a trade last year. Not rocket science to figure that one out.

Having said that I think there is onus on clubs like ours to take the best players available. We quite simply cannot be dictated to by draftees. If he wants to leave, I'll bet we get a good deal or send him into the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back