Why did Brisbane take Aish?

Remove this Banner Ad

My formular for Lions would have been

Trade Aish & Crisp for Dayne Beams, if Pies still upset not fair, then tell them to go screw themselves. End of the day it's Beams that's wants to go home first, Good deal!. Make Pies trade 30 for Levi Greenwood.

Trade 25, not 21 for Christiensen

Since the Lions have brought in 2 midfield through trade, focus Draft on talls
Pick 5, would have taken Peter Wright
Pick 21, would have taken Hugh Goddard
Rest of picks use for Academy Qld players

Peter Wright, forward/ruck
Goddard, utility player. Both can develop as forwards
Maybe if he had requested a trade to Collingwood this would have been feasible.

It happens to everyone.

We lost Gunstan to the Hawks for bugger all when he was on the verge of breaking through. Would kill for him now.

We lost Phil Davis and Nathan Bock to the development teams.

Sure we got Thompson / Betts / Jacobs in the current team via trades, but I am struggling to think of any young high draft pick that "came home" to Adelaide? (have I missed an obvious one?)

Gibbs was the one we all thought would do it, but I reckon Aish might be the first for the AFC?

On the other side of the coin, Sloane was a risk to draft - he was a bug chance to return to Victoria and look how that turned out.

You win some you lose some.

Still a shame that players can dictate where they wanna go, some even before the draft like the rumours about Wingard and GWS, and some after, out of homesickness or other reason. Kind of reminds me of Donald Sterling and college players coming out saying they did not wanna be drafted by the Clippers in the NBA. Surely if you wanna make the big time you will take any opportunity you can get, not pick and choose based on the slight chance you may be a superstar.
I don't think it is shame.

They get told where they have to go and the best players have to go to the wost preformed clubs. It's a take it or leave it deal and standard contract. They might end up with a club with a poor development and medical team. When their contract ends they still need the club to trade them in which case the club gets a return. Homesickness is hugely overplayed. Not many good players leave good clubs.

They get told where they have to go and the best players have to go to the wost preformed clubs. It's a take it or leave it deal and standard contract. They might end up with a club with a poor development and medical team. When their contract ends they still need the club to trade them in which case the club gets a return. Homesickness is hugely overplayed. Not many good players leave good clubs.

Still there are many players who were able to resist the temptation and their reputations were enhanced because of it. Simon Black stayed for life at the Lions and is a club legend, Des Headland went back to WA and isnt. Sure it may be tough being away from home or having to deal with a poor club, but the best make it their home and find a way. Your team could turn to rot and I could never see Pendlebury leave. Conversely Roo is not leaving us either. Not sure Pendles or Riewoldt would be universally as respected had they cut and run.

Im surprised Brissy dropped him... just plummeted his value on the market given they clearly dont see him as a starting 22. Brisbane may have been able to get a pick in the mid first end (pick 8-14) for him, but now they are probably looking at around the pick 20-30 mark for him. This is unless he comes back into the side and becomes one of their best players for the year.

It will be interesting to see how it will play out at seasons end, depending on where the two SA sides finish up, whether either will be willing to use their first round pick on him or if they will try for a 2nd round pick and a nuff player.

Aish is no good, cant believe the hype.

wouldnt go near getting a game for the top 6 teams at the moment

Needs to get out of Brisbane and get his head right

Will be a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And look at Boaky... Port were rabble, Boak was a top 10 pick, destined to leave for Geelong, but he stayed with the club and helped turned things around, Port are on the Up and Geelong are on the down. Good junior players go to bottom clubs for a reason... its to try and get the bottoms clubs off the bottom.

Once upon a time clubs competed for young players signatures with a fat cheque book.

There was regular comments about Aish and the flight risk after he was drafted. I immeadiately thought, "toughen up boy, do your apprentership and see how it goes". Obviously doesn't think much of his Brisbane team mates, you'd think he would normally be well bonded with ones in his age group.

I remember soon after Simon Black was drafted, that he was a flight risk. Umpteen years later, Black is still in QLD.

Maybe in regards to character, Black >>>>> Yeo, Docherty, Aish etc.
Cheque books and/or success and/or welfare and/or stability. Why can't a player want a good/better salary though? We have a salary cap to level the competitive landscape. We have a draft to tilt the competitive landscape.
Maybe Aish lacks character or maybe Brisbane does. I don't know what the issue is or even if there is really an issue. Aish owes Brisbane nothing though.

No this isn't some cheap troll thread, but a genuine question worth looking at now he's been dropped again after looking decidedly disinterested in playing football.

I remember the 'go home' question hanging over his head before he was even drafted (I'm glad the Saints settled on Billings, we can't really afford any top 10 draft pick busts)

Despite it not applying to Aish's situation- free agency has certainly shifted the power well and truly from the clubs to the players... with players young and old realising that football contracts really aren't worth squat.
Because at the end of the day- if you force a player to play for you... they are just gonna coast, ala Aish.

Of course the Brions are gonna play hardball with wherever he wants to go... but they can't go too hard and get nothing for him.

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be really pissed- especially after seeing a mass exodus of top talent the year previous.... and the fact that you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this exact situation coming before he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?
I get your angle but why did GC recruit Josh Caddy? why did Adelaide recruit Jack Gunston? (and maybe Paddy Dangerfield after this season) its drafting and it's all a risk.

It's probably is more of a risk for the non-Vic teams because a lot of the exceptionally good footballers are developed in Melb so the interstate teams take a risk of the homesickness bug biting one of their guns.

Then again you look at the other side of the coin ala Boak with Port he is happy where he is now and dominating.

I agree with an early poster if a gun player gets severely homesick then trade him for top picks/players asap and move on. I hope Brisbane does that this trade period.

Im surprised Brissy dropped him... just plummeted his value on the market given they clearly dont see him as a starting 22. Brisbane may have been able to get a pick in the mid first end (pick 8-14) for him, but now they are probably looking at around the pick 20-30 mark for him. This is unless he comes back into the side and becomes one of their best players for the year.

It will be interesting to see how it will play out at seasons end, depending on where the two SA sides finish up, whether either will be willing to use their first round pick on him or if they will try for a 2nd round pick and a nuff player.

1. He isn't playing well enough to warrant selection.
2. Assuming he is leaving, why would we develop him for the Crows when we could develop someone who wants to play for us (and is currently in better form).

A slightly higher pick is better than developing a player that wants to play for us - Bigfooty logic strikes again!

Still there are many players who were able to resist the temptation and their reputations were enhanced because of it. Simon Black stayed for life at the Lions and is a club legend, Des Headland went back to WA and isnt. Sure it may be tough being away from home or having to deal with a poor club, but the best make it their home and find a way. Your team could turn to rot and I could never see Pendlebury leave. Conversely Roo is not leaving us either. Not sure Pendles or Riewoldt would be universally as respected had they cut and run.
Headland was not nearly as good a player as Black. That the real difference in the two situations. No one complains about Scott going from Hawthorn to Brisbane or Merritt walking out on Essendon in his prime to go to Brisbane. In the end though, it's the players issue to deal with. Pay v success v location v club environment and a lot of other factors will come into it but clubs are owed nothing for the fact they draft a player. If they can't keep him then too bad.

1. He isn't playing well enough to warrant selection.
2. Assuming he is leaving, why would we develop him for the Crows when we could develop someone who wants to play for us (and is currently in better form).

A slightly higher pick is better than developing a player that wants to play for us - Bigfooty logic strikes again!
Unless you actually want to win games this year and it makes the difference between a first and third round pick. Hawthorn kept playing franklin and won a flag. I'm not sure Aish is that good anyway and his form doesn't warrant selection but the development argument is a double edged sword. It didn't do Brisbane much good with Karnesis.

I wonder, if we DIDNT take him at 7...And he instead he went at 8...and went on to be a great player...Would the question be asked as to WHY our recruitment staff failed to select him when we had the chance?

The Draft is what it is. We picked who we thought was best at the first pick we had. It had risks, and if he leaves those risks are confirmed, but thats how it goes.

And look at Boaky... Port were rabble, Boak was a top 10 pick, destined to leave for Geelong, but he stayed with the club and helped turned things around, Port are on the Up and Geelong are on the down. Good junior players go to bottom clubs for a reason... its to try and get the bottoms clubs off the bottom.
Sure it is. Equalisation is clearly an aim. That isn't the 18 year old players problem though. Personally I think draft picks should rotate anyway but that's another issue entirely to whether a player should stay at a club that drafted him just because they drafted him. Boak stayed at Port because Port win him over. That's to their credit. That same reasons they won him over are probably why they are a good side now. The reasons Brisbane lost their players are probably the reasons they aren't a god side now. Same with my club. We are paying for what we buggered up. That's our problem to solve.

I think for early picks it is important clubs recruit players that really want to be there, it is extremely difficult to get market value with moving on early draft pick players as the clubs they typically want to go to do not have access to good picks and are reluctant to let go of good quality proven players.

Eventually the AFL will need to take a stand and ban a player for trying to manipulate the draft/trading season to get to a specific club.

OK let me get this straight.

If we draft top interstate players who might want to go home its 'dumb'.
If we want to draft the best local kids (academy) that's 'cheating'.
It isn't a problem if you DRAFT local kids and no one has made comment about drafting interstate players who aren't known flight risks or even ones that are when you are well run and turn them around al la Black. Personally I don't have any issues with Brisbane drafting Aish anyway. If he leaves you get a trade. The better he is the more the trade return. That's how it is supposed to work. Sometimes you get a bargain in the draft and sometimes you over pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back