Why did Brisbane take Aish?

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC Collingwood wanted him as part of the Beams deal, but Brisbane said no. Bet they'd wish they could change their minds now. Hopefully they get a first rounder and change out of Adelaide or Port, but they'll need to play Aish every week to keep his currency up.
Why would we trade him if he didn't request it?

IIRC Collingwood wanted him as part of the Beams deal, but Brisbane said no. Bet they'd wish they could change their minds now. Hopefully they get a first rounder and change out of Adelaide or Port, but they'll need to play Aish every week to keep his currency up.
No because now we get to trade for a KPF

Once upon a time young players were grateful to just even get a chance. Now they seem to hold all the power. And on potential only for the most part. Aish may become a superstar but has not exactly begun with a bang.

Says more about the self entitled culture of these young draftees.

They enter the draft knowing that they can be jettisoned anywhere across the country. Rather than see this as an opportunity to grow into an independent young man away from home and knowing they still have the resources and backup of an AFL club if need be, they would prefer to have mummy still cook dinner.

Soft utensils.

Does my ******* head in.
They enter the draft knowing they can end up anywhere on a 2 year contract. They generally serve our the 2 years and are then uncontracted and the drafting club has got what they bargained for. What does my head in is the punters that think clubs have an entitlement while complaining about the youth of today having an entitlement mentality.

Once upon a time young players were grateful to just even get a chance. Now they seem to hold all the power. And on potential only for the most part. Aish may become a superstar but has not exactly begun with a bang.
Once upon a time clubs competed for young talented players signatures. Now they get allocated players based on reverse merit. It's the clubs that get the good deal.

Once upon a time clubs competed for young talented players signatures. Now they get allocated players based on reverse merit. It's the clubs that get the good deal.

Still a shame that players can dictate where they wanna go, some even before the draft like the rumours about Wingard and GWS, and some after, out of homesickness or other reason. Kind of reminds me of Donald Sterling and college players coming out saying they did not wanna be drafted by the Clippers in the NBA. Surely if you wanna make the big time you will take any opportunity you can get, not pick and choose based on the slight chance you may be a superstar.

Once upon a time clubs competed for young players signatures with a fat cheque book.

There was regular comments about Aish and the flight risk after he was drafted. I immeadiately thought, "toughen up boy, do your apprentership and see how it goes". Obviously doesn't think much of his Brisbane team mates, you'd think he would normally be well bonded with ones in his age group.

I remember soon after Simon Black was drafted, that he was a flight risk. Umpteen years later, Black is still in QLD.

Maybe in regards to character, Black >>>>> Yeo, Docherty, Aish etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My formular for Lions would have been

Trade Aish & Crisp for Dayne Beams, if Pies still upset not fair, then tell them to go screw themselves. End of the day it's Beams that's wants to go home first, Good deal!. Make Pies trade 30 for Levi Greenwood.

Trade 25, not 21 for Christiensen

Since the Lions have brought in 2 midfield through trade, focus Draft on talls
Pick 5, would have taken Peter Wright
Pick 21, would have taken Hugh Goddard
Rest of picks use for Academy Qld players

Peter Wright, forward/ruck
Goddard, utility player. Both can develop as forwards

You can't be scared that players will leave after two years, two years is a long time. Maybe the mateship and living conditions will improve the chances of the players staying, it obviously doesn't always work, but I bet it has a reasonable success rate

No this isn't some cheap troll thread, but a genuine question worth looking at now he's been dropped again after looking decidedly disinterested in playing football.

I remember the 'go home' question hanging over his head before he was even drafted (I'm glad the Saints settled on Billings, we can't really afford any top 10 draft pick busts)

Despite it not applying to Aish's situation- free agency has certainly shifted the power well and truly from the clubs to the players... with players young and old realising that football contracts really aren't worth squat.
Because at the end of the day- if you force a player to play for you... they are just gonna coast, ala Aish.

Of course the Brions are gonna play hardball with wherever he wants to go... but they can't go too hard and get nothing for him.

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be really pissed- especially after seeing a mass exodus of top talent the year previous.... and the fact that you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this exact situation coming before he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?
Why did you start this thread today and not on draft night 2013? There in lies your answer.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Best available, back your system & culture and if it fails get as much back as you can.

Using the OP's reasoning, Pavlich wouldn't of been drafted as he didn't want to head west.

All valid points, however as I said, free agency has changed the footy world for everyone- even kids who it doesn't apply to.

The old school mindset of "taking the player you want" doesn't work when talented kids who have achieved nothing know they have all the power.
Tom Boyd etc etc.
The kids (and their managers) know all to well what it costs clubs in money and time to develop young talent. The clubs can't match that at the negotiating table.

I remember hearing a suggestion (perhaps by the Lions) to increase the current 2 year minimum contract... That would give clubs a better chance of retaining kids... but I guess Tom Boyd made a mockery of that anyway

This goes back far before Tom Boyd (which is a different situation entirely). Look at Anthony Rocca and the mockery he made of the national draft. Prior to that, and to a lesser extent, Nathan Buckley. Both were to go somewhere they didn't want to be- Rocca refused to go and demanded to go to Collingwood, Buckley did 1 year in Brisbane and then went where he wanted to be in the first place. Brisbane took a chance that Aish wouldn't want to leave (no guarantees he will though) when they chose him but they had to take who they thought was the best option. Good on them- hope he stays for their sake.

Extend draftee contracts IMO to three or four years.

To take it a step further, home teams could get final matching rights on the second contract (true restricted free agency).

If players truly want to leave, they can take a 'qualifying offer' and become unrestricted after four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was the best available at pick 7. Also ignoring players because they're flight risks is stupid, especially if you don't have other good options from your home state.
^^This.
How do you expect Brissy (or any other club for that matter) to be competitive if they shy away from picking interstate players?

No this isn't some cheap troll thread, but a genuine question worth looking at now he's been dropped again after looking decidedly disinterested in playing football.

I remember the 'go home' question hanging over his head before he was even drafted (I'm glad the Saints settled on Billings, we can't really afford any top 10 draft pick busts)

Despite it not applying to Aish's situation- free agency has certainly shifted the power well and truly from the clubs to the players... with players young and old realising that football contracts really aren't worth squat.
Because at the end of the day- if you force a player to play for you... they are just gonna coast, ala Aish.

Of course the Brions are gonna play hardball with wherever he wants to go... but they can't go too hard and get nothing for him.

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be really pissed- especially after seeing a mass exodus of top talent the year previous.... and the fact that you didn't need to be a clairvoyant to see this exact situation coming before he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?

Because if we didn't select players based on go home risk we would be resigned to choosing from less than 5% of the talent pool nationally available?

For every James Aish there is also a Simon Black, win some you lose some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back